Two new young ones which hotel for convenience

tlaw66

Mouseketeer
Hi,

Was hoping for a little help. First please note i am not trying to start a hotel fight. I have 7 adults and 2 6-month-old babies going to Disney and trying to figure which would be a better fit for newborn moms. We are looking at animal kingdom lodge and Saratoga springs. I know a lot depends on which park you are at, other than that any advice

Thanks Terry

I have stayed at both. All Disney resorts are family friendly. At both of those resorts, you will be taking buses to the parks unless you are renting a car. SSR is a much more sprawling resort with multiple pools. It's a bit more like a development of condominiums. AKL only has 2 pools; one at Jambo (the main building) and one at Kidani which are all DVC units. I would pick AKL out of those two because the theming at AKL is Disney's best, IMO, but there is no reason you can't have a great trip at either.

If you're driving or renting a car, Saratoga Springs (or Old Key West, which is very similar but a more laid back atmosphere) for parking that's extremely convenient to each room. If you're not going to have your own vehicle, Animal Kingdom Lodge.

I'd go with one of the monorail resorts (Contemporary, Polynesian, or Grand Floridian), or Wilderness Lodge.
This is a myth.

AKL to MK - 18 minutes
AKL to Epcot - 17 minutes
AKL to HS - 16 minutes
AKL to AK - 12 minutes

Contemporary to MK - 7 minutes
Contemporary to Epcot - 34 minutes
Contemporary to HS - 19 minutes
Contemporary to AK - 25 minutes

The monorail resorts are the least convenient resorts on property, unless you spend more than half of your park time at Magic Kingdom, or if you're staying in a room at the Polynesian that's close enough to walk to the TTC.

Or I'd go with one of the EPCOT area resorts (Boardwalk Inn, Beach Club, Yacht Club).
Entering Epcot by walking to the International Gateway and then entering into the World Showcase is not a win for parents of small children. Yeah, it's neat that you don't need to take a bus, but it's not *faster* than taking a bus.

I think either Saratoga or AKL could work, it does really depend on how much park time vs resort time you will have.

There is a definite convenience of the monorail over buses. They seem to come more often than buses, so less standing around, no need to fold up the strollers on the monorail.

Six month old babies won't care which Epcot entrance you use! Walking is very convenient.

There is a definite convenience of the monorail over buses. They seem to come more often than buses, so less standing around, no need to fold up the strollers on the monorail.
That's great when you're going to Magic Kingdom, but when you're going to Epcot and have to transfer to a different monorail line at the TTC, you end up doubling your travel time over just taking a bus.

Traveling to Disney with babies is categorically inconvenient. But, I'm of the mind that I'd rather be sleep deprived at Disney than anywhere else. Choosing between those two is a tough call. What room category are you booking?
With two babies I'd probably want at least a 1 bedroom, so my husband and I could sleep in a different one, or split the babies up.
If that's not in the budget, I would look more deeply into the balconies, so my husband and I could slip out there after we put the babies to bed.
Typically, we go to sleep when the babies do when at Disney, but sometimes we want to be up a little longer, and some tiny humans are more sensitive to phone/TV/computer light than others.

IF I could swing a room on the monorail or Epcot area, then I would do that. The length of time on a bus doesn't matter to me that much. But, it is nice to be able to leave them in their strollers for as long as possible. At the end of the "day" its the worst to have to take a sleeping baby out of their stroller. I would much rather walk over a mile than wake up my babies.

But, if the budget is very specific, then I wouldn't worry much. Every baby is different and twins means you could have two entirely different personalities in play. One may not sleep in the stroller at all, and the other might only sleep in the stroller during your trip. Monorail and walking are typically more convenient than the buses. But your kids may like buses better.

Hi,

Was hoping for a little help. First please note i am not trying to start a hotel fight. I have 7 adults and 2 6-month-old babies going to Disney and trying to figure which would be a better fit for newborn moms. We are looking at animal kingdom lodge and Saratoga springs. I know a lot depends on which park you are at, other than that any advice

Thanks Terry
Hi Terry, as someone who has traveled to Disney with small kiddos, I’d suggest that you consider how fast you can get back from the park or restaurant where you are at in the event of a melt down or kiddo doesn’t feel well or any other eventuality. Since I was a little boy, my favorite park was, and has remained, the Magic Kingdom. Taking the monorail to and from the Magic Kingdom is quick so it helps with handling immediate needs or allows for quick outings and a fast return to the comfort of your room. We also do a half pool day every other day and mid day short swims/naps each day so kiddos don’t get overwhelmed and will be rested for the evenings. As parents, we love our pool time too! Makes a busy trip much more relaxing. Problem is these Magic Kingdom resorts are so expensive. At times it’s hard to control the urge of pressing for another ride or two when kiddos are on the edge of melt down to try to get as much as you can out of this very expensive trip. Over the years I have seen so many kiddos (and parents) exhausted on the monorail from doing bell to bell commando days. Be sure to set aside relax time. It truly helps everyone’s moods :-). I’m a Polynesian DVC owner thank goodness as the Poly hotel rates are outrageous and I’d never pay for a cash room there at least right now. If you plan on being in Magic Kingdom a lot and having everyone together, perhaps a grand villa at Contemporary. Don’t discount Wilderness lodge either as it’s typically a very good value, no monorail but you will have a nice boat ride to the Kingdom. If I were going to be at EPCOT and Studios a lot, I’d probably go Beach Club for the pool and ice cream at beaches and cream :-). It opens up easy access to Epcot and Studios via boat or walking. And at the end of all of this, I cannot deny that everyone would LOVE the animals at Animal Kingdom Lodge but this location can be further out depending on where you will be spending the majority of your time. Enjoy your trip! Regards, Gus.

Gonna echo @PolyDad, my consideration for going w/ a 2-month-old was “how far do I want to be pushing a stroller and how fast do I want to get from point A to point B while sleep deprived.”

Incidentally we settled on Gran Destino Tower - eliminated the Boardwalk hotels even though we love them because walking to 2 parks seemed less ideal w/ a stroller etc., and the MK hotels bc while nice they’re pricey for just sitting around in for all the time we won’t be able to be in park. GDT is a mix of affordable luxury, good proximity, and close to elevators and bus stop!

Good luck with your search/planning :)

That's great when you're going to Magic Kingdom, but when you're going to Epcot and have to transfer to a different monorail line at the TTC, you end up doubling your travel time over just taking a bus.

Not a factor at the Polynesian, especially in the DVC rooms.

This is a myth.

AKL to MK - 18 minutes
AKL to HS - 16 minutes
AKL to AK - 12 minutes

The monorail resorts are the least convenient resorts on property, unless you spend more than half of your park time at Magic Kingdom, or if you're staying in a room at the Polynesian that's close enough to walk to the TTC.

Entering Epcot by walking to the International Gateway and then entering into the World Showcase is not a win for parents of small children. Yeah, it's neat that you don't need to take a bus, but it's not *faster* than taking a bus.

What you are not taking into consideration with your timing is how long of a wait it can be for a bus to come to some resorts and what route some of those buses take.
Last year at AK I waited 45 minutes for a Saratoga Springs bus and no joke it took at least a half hour to get there.
I fell asleep.
If you're trying to get a baby back to the resort and you have to hold them and it takes that long it would not be fun.

I'd expect that with small kids they will be spending a lot of time at MK...

Neither for convenience.

I'd go with one of the monorail resorts (Contemporary, Polynesian, or Grand Floridian), or Wilderness Lodge.
Or I'd go with one of the EPCOT area resorts (Boardwalk Inn, Beach Club, Yacht Club).
I agree, you will be close enough to break your day up by going back to room very easily. priceless!

What you are not taking into consideration with your timing is how long of a wait it can be for a bus to come to some resorts and what route some of those buses take.
Last year at AK I waited 45 minutes for a Saratoga Springs bus and no joke it took at least a half hour to get there.
I fell asleep.
If you're trying to get a baby back to the resort and you have to hold them and it takes that long it would not be fun.

I'd expect that with small kids they will be spending a lot of time at MK...
That's fair. I've read plenty of horror stories regarding buses but I've always had good luck for everything except Disney Springs for some reason. Regarding Saratoga in particular, I wouldn't stay there, Old Key West, or Fort Wilderness without a car.

When my kids were that young, we spent more time in Epcot and Animal Kingdom then anywhere else, strolling around listening to the music and eating snacks.

Totally agree about the monorail to Epcot, our 2 stays at GF that was by far the worst mode of transportation, it averaged 60+ minutes each time we used it. We actually wished they had buses:) Now Poly is better because you can walk to the TTC and get on the Epcot monorail. But if its raining than its not a benefit.

OP; we have been going to WDW since our 1st DD was 6 months old and we have stayed at all levels and have never found it a hassle with a stroller to any of the resorts. It was a total breeze when we took our DDs when they were babies and never had any melt downs. I think the parents bring on the kids melt downs by trying to rush around and get more rides in etc. We took it slow and used the stroller for naps when needed and never had any issues. After a few days, on our 1st trip, we found taking midday breaks did not work for us and felt like we just wasted time. We are not SSR fans so we would definately go with AKL Jambo house. Biggest tip is to just go there with no expectations and a slower pace and you will have a great time.

If I was going with an infant (we didn't go until our kids were 2/3) I would definitely pick a resort under one building so a deluxe. It's easier to grab things you may need. If you are going with other adults you could swap out childcare and go and grab a drink at the lounge and still be in the same building if anything came up. Out of those two options I would go with AKL. Plus I hear it's a quieter more relaxed resort which would be great for me after a day in the parks with a baby. It's under one building with more convenient food options. I've never stayed at Saratoga but I hear it is very spread out.

As far as transportation there will be pros and cons with any resort. My worst bus experience was at BC. Waited more than once over 30 minutes for a MK bus. One morning I thought people were going to start rioting. It started getting ugly.

Some people have said they don't like the Epcot area resorts because it's too much walking with a stroller. I would prefer to walk with a stroller than to break down a stroller with a baby. I like the Epcot resorts because you can depend on your two feet for transportation. We would usually boat back.

I like the monorail resorts because you don't have to fold the stroller to get on the monorail. I like the Epcot resorts because you can depend on your two feet for transportation.

I like the moderates because they are centrally located and honestly I've had the best bus service at the mods. That's the resorts we did when our kids were toddlers and still in a stroller and it worked great for us. Never had long waits and usually always had a seat. We stayed deluxe once they got older and now we are heading back to a CSR for our first time and I am looking forward to it.

Last edited:
This is a myth.

AKL to MK - 18 minutes
AKL to HS - 16 minutes
AKL to AK - 12 minutes

I have to say that sometimes actual driving distance does NOT equate to convenience with a baby. The monorail resorts are NOT the least convenient. Trust me, if you have a sleeping baby or toddler in a stroller filled underneath with rather large toys you purchased, you will be SO thankful not to have to wake that baby up or break down that stroller.

We have stroller age children, and our favorite park is MK. For us, staying on the monorail IS worth the upcharge. We also like WL for the boat option.

I'm assuming that cost might prohibit OP from staying on the monorail, which is why it is a choice between AKL or SSR.

AKL Jambo house has a playground the pool is 0 entry also has the animals to watch when there is nothing else to do.
AKL Kidani has great kids water play area and a better pool slide fro older kids/adults and as above the animals.
SSR it depends on where you stay.... Book a preferred request near Hospitality house. The main pool has a nice kids play area. There is a Boat to DS which will give you access to great food options that fast to get to. SSR grounds are great for a stroller walk to get little ones to sleep.
As far as Bus's yes you will be folding up a stroller and that is no matter what resort you are at period.... SSR is the fastest to all parks making all seem about the same distance although EPCOT and STUDIOS are very close. AK and MK are around 10-15 minutes once on the bus. AK Both EPCOT and STUDIOS are also close MK is Far. AK is very close.
I am not mentioning entertainment as the kids are to young. I would consider what is most important as adults. If it is Food SSR hands down is a winner. If watching animals AKL is the winner.
personally I love AKL.... I enjoy SSR but more so loved having DS and that many food options so close also did the least walking of any resort and we have stayed at (every deluxe more than once) as you could look at your APP to see when a bus was coming walk a short distance to the bus stop (our room was very close to one but even in the furthest of the section it was short walk). I would say OKW is similar but not as close to DS and most buildings do not have elevators.
kids that age will sleep a lot especially when you want to eat... and you will likely be leaving parks by 6.

The monorail resorts are NOT the least convenient. Trust me, if you have a sleeping baby or toddler in a stroller filled underneath with rather large toys you purchased, you will be SO thankful not to have to wake that baby up or break down that stroller.
You start at the Contemporary and I'll start at Animal Kingdom Lodge with my kids, 7, 4, and 1. I'll race you to Spaceship Earth and we'll see who gets there first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter