• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Two week gluten, dairy, sugar detox...it gets better right

Just google Monsanto and I think you'll understand how all the foods have changed from generation to generation. GMO's are real and scary.

GMO's are real and scary.
More generalizations and scare tactics. I agree that GMO's should be identified for allergy purposes, but GMO just means it's been genetically modified. Some foods have been modified for the better - for example rice that contains more vitamins and protein so that it can be given as a better food source to those in need. I know all about the Food Inc. issues, but not all modifications are negative, and in fact they were just doing an interview on the news a few days ago reiterating that there's not really any research showing that many modified foods are harmful for us: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/health-effects-gmo-foods/story?id=23459884

More generalizations and scare tactics. I agree that GMO's should be identified for allergy purposes, but GMO just means it's been genetically modified. Some foods have been modified for the better - for example rice that contains more vitamins and protein so that it can be given as a better food source to those in need. I know all about the Food Inc. issues, but not all modifications are negative, and in fact they were just doing an interview on the news a few days ago reiterating that there's not really any research showing that many modified foods are harmful for us:

Yes no studies to show they are harmful because the big corporations that make them make sure there's no funding for such research. You do realize that researchers get to do studies on things that are funded, right? Monsanto and other chemical companies put major pressure to make sure such studies are done and that anyone that does manage to get a study done somehow gets discredited.

Truthfully I'm amazed that environmentalists aren't coming out against GMOs because they increase the use of pesticides (not lower the use like they were supposed to). Glyphosate is now in our air and water. Residues of it are in our food. And the EPA just raised the acceptable amount on food.

Past generations did not eat sugar the way we do.

There's very little that past generations ate like we do. And the more generations you count back - the less "like us" people ate.

More generalizations and scare tactics. I agree that GMO's should be identified for allergy purposes, but GMO just means it's been genetically modified. Some foods have been modified for the better - for example rice that contains more vitamins and protein so that it can be given as a better food source to those in need. I know all about the Food Inc. issues, but not all modifications are negative, and in fact they were just doing an interview on the news a few days ago reiterating that there's not really any research showing that many modified foods are harmful for us: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/health-effects-gmo-foods/story?id=23459884

GMO foods have not been proven absolutely to be healthy or unhealthy. They are however, not all they are cracked up to be (the yields aren't any better, and one company holds the patent on something like 95% of the seeds). Here's the thing, I don't want to gamble with my health, or my family's. I should have the right to know what is in my food, so I can avoid that gamble. If you want to take the gamble, you are welcome to it.

There will always be studies funded by mysterious sources that will tell you something is perfectly safe. And the studies will be written about by someone. It's a minefield out there, if it seems likely that something could be bad, I'd avoid it.

Not to argue with you, but I work with Food Scientists....Vitamins have NOT been proven to be of benefit to us. Grab your bottle of vitamins and it's label will read " these statements have not been evaluated by the FDA"....it's big pharma, making money by saying you and I aren't getting enough of something, when in reality, we all are.

Now, to the GMO's....no......they were not created to add vitamins to 3rd world nations. It was created to enhance shelf life....so that the manufacturers, farmers, etc, can mass produce and store for a longer time, gov't can dictate price and then they can release to suppliers as needed. It's really no surprise that so many kids today have peanut allergies is it? I was born in the 70's and I don't know a single kid I grew up with that had a peanut allergy.....my kids were born in the 2000's.....they might be the only 2 without an allergy in their class, because I exposed them early to raw honey, fresh egg, raw milk, and real peanut butter. To each his own, but with actual scientists at my disposal 40+ hours a week that are also registered nutritionists and dieticians, I tend to take what they say with more than a grain of salt.

Past generations did not eat sugar the way we do. For a long time sugar was a treat. Also, cakes and goodies had to be made from home or bought from a bakery. Not until post WWII did you see the quick and easy junk food that is cheap and readily available. The health problems and weight problems people began to experience led to the low fat mindset which led to mass produced low fat items with more chemicals and sugar in them.
Also, until my children's generation eating out was rare. When I was growing up eating out was a special occasion. Even a McDonald's cheeseburger and fries or pizza was a splurge. Fast food and restaurant food has more sugar and other ingredients in it than what people were traditionally making at home.
I should have mentioned that sugar is still a treat for me and I use cane sugar. Of course then there is chocolate. :) I just don't see sugar as an issue if used in limited amounts.

I agree that people tend to eat out too much. We did it tonight, we got a craving for burgers and got take-out from Five Guys. Again, moderation is the key as hard as that is. When I eat "right", I eat mostly meat, veggies and fruit and a bit of cheese and nuts. I avoid starches and processed things but not completely. I don't cut out anything but just eat it in moderation. My issue is eating too much meat and cheese and that type of thing (and chocolate ;) ) but we are all different.

It's really no surprise that so many kids today have peanut allergies is it? I was born in the 70's and I don't know a single kid I grew up with that had a peanut allergy.....my kids were born in the 2000's.....they might be the only 2 without an allergy in their class, because I exposed them early to raw honey, fresh egg, raw milk, and real peanut butter. To each his own, but with actual scientists at my disposal 40+ hours a week that are also registered nutritionists and dieticians, I tend to take what they say with more than a grain of salt.

Soy and peanuts are both legumes. The genetically modified version of the soybean's allergen is much more similar to the allergen of peanuts than the natural version (the GMO version is 41% identical). GMO soybeans also contain more allergens than non-GMO versions. If you look at processed foods just about everything has an ingredient derived from
soy. Heck formula has soy oil. From infancy children are exposed to a higher level of this peanut similar allergen, is it any surprise there are more allergies to peanuts?

Soy and peanuts are both legumes. The genetically modified version of the soybean's allergen is much more similar to the allergen of peanuts than the natural version (the GMO version is 41% identical). GMO soybeans also contain more allergens than non-GMO versions. If you look at processed foods just about everything has an ingredient derived from
soy. Heck formula has soy oil. From infancy children are exposed to a higher level of this peanut similar allergen, is it any surprise there are more allergies to peanuts?

A recent study was done involving children in England and India. These children were from the same bloodline. In England, they limit the exposure to peanuts until the children are much older. In India, they use a peanut-based product before the child is even a year old as part of the weaning process. The study was quite interesting with its findings. Even though these children were from the same bloodline, there was not a single peanut allergy found in the children who were raised in India. This was not at all the case in England. Researchers are discovering that limiting exposure actually increases the chance of a food allergy - not decreases. This could be a major reason we are seeing so many more allergies to things like peanuts, eggs, and strawberries.

A recent study was done involving children in England and India. These children were from the same bloodline. In England, they limit the exposure to peanuts until the children are much older. In India, they use a peanut-based product before the child is even a year old as part of the weaning process. The study was quite interesting with its findings. Even though these children were from the same bloodline, there was not a single peanut allergy found in the children who were raised in India. This was not at all the case in England. Researchers are discovering that limiting exposure actually increases the chance of a food allergy - not decreases. This could be a major reason we are seeing so many more allergies to things like peanuts, eggs, and strawberries.
I agree, but that is why I introduced my kids at an early age. I was shunned by the pediatricians, I gave them raw honey, raw milk, freshly payed eggs from hens and raw peanut butter all before they turned 1. My kids are healthier than any kid I know....with the exception of my son who has a penicillin allergy, which is hereditary......thanks to my husbands family.

I agree, but that is why I introduced my kids at an early age. I was shunned by the pediatricians, I gave them raw honey, raw milk, freshly payed eggs from hens and raw peanut butter all before they turned 1. My kids are healthier than any kid I know....with the exception of my son who has a penicillin allergy, which is hereditary......thanks to my husbands family.

I did the same. Now, there is nothing she won't eat, nothing she can't eat, and she rarely gets sick.

Soy and peanuts are both legumes. The genetically modified version of the soybean's allergen is much more similar to the allergen of peanuts than the natural version (the GMO version is 41% identical). GMO soybeans also contain more allergens than non-GMO versions. If you look at processed foods just about everything has an ingredient derived from soy. Heck formula has soy oil. From infancy children are exposed to a higher level of this peanut similar allergen, is it any surprise there are more allergies to peanuts?

Not just that. GMOs can involve gene splicing. To most common gene spliced with other foods is soy. Soy is supposed to be pretty hardy so the idea was to made the fruits and vegetables more hardy by splicing the genes together. The downside is now people are consuming soy in places they aren't even aware it exists. Like when it's in corn and then the corn is used to make HFCS or margarine. Soy is a cousin to the peanut. Some people think there is a link.

Good luck in your endeavor. I have been gluten free since January and my life is so much better.

Not everything will work for everyone, so find what makes *your* body feel good and function well!

:rotfl2: You're right though, it's all a fad except for those with actual medical issues. Here's the way I lost weight (over 150 lbs!) and kept it off: I changed my lifestyle. I quit dieting because diets don't work. I did not quit sugar, gluten, caffeine, etc. but I did cut back and if I have ice cream, a piece of cake or a soda I don't beat myself up over it. I add more fruits/veggies to my plate at every meal and the biggest thing was I got up off my tush and I exercise every day. I feel great, I don't feel deprived at all and if I want something sweet I save room and I have it.

Good for you.

We didn't jump on the diet health wagon of gluten , sugar is toxic.

We did skip eating fast food and when to less processed foods.

It's not what you eat sometimes, but everyday.

Food is fuel period.

Get out move your but.

Op to answer your question the first 7 days are the worst after about 21 days you will have changed your habit and start to feel better.

Not just that. GMOs can involve gene splicing. To most common gene spliced with other foods is soy. Soy is supposed to be pretty hardy so the idea was to made the fruits and vegetables more hardy by splicing the genes together. The downside is now people are consuming soy in places they aren't even aware it exists. Like when it's in corn and then the corn is used to make HFCS or margarine. Soy is a cousin to the peanut. Some people think there is a link.

Soy also contains phytoestrogens which can disrupt hormonal balances in both men and women. It's sad that there is so much of it in foods we wouldn't even think of it being in.

I'm all for raw foods but they do have their own dangers. A friend lost their daughter to botulism from Raw honey that had been on a pacifier.

Very few things in life are inherently bad. You take the calculated risks you are willing to take and adjust accordingly. It is foolish to think every body is the same. While there are tendencies (I mean in broth don't we share 95% of out DNA with bananas?) people often have to just figure out what feels best for themselves. Worst thing I've figured out (even worse than my almonds?) is that I feel my best when I eat a really low calorie diet. My brain is quicker etc. But I'm not willing to make that trade off all of the time. I really like food!

I came home with a large container of lemon pepper last week. Right there in the ingredients was SUGAR! I missed it when I picked it up. It does not need to be there.

We are not eating the same as our parents did in anyway shape or form. It is not just that we are less active. It is in our food.

Last year I needed to remove gluten and lots of other items from my diet. I did not feel awful during the process, probably because the food I was eating was causing me to feel awful. Think daily headaches/migraines with upset stomach off and on. Hopfully your body adjusts quickly. It could be the sugar removal more than anything else causing the feelings.

I survived the Detox and while I was putting on muscle mass, I did not managed to drop more than about 5 LBS. However clothes I could not wear I suddenly could.

I cannot wait to do it again!

I survived the Detox and while I was putting on muscle mass, I did not managed to drop more than about 5 LBS. However clothes I could not wear I suddenly could.

I cannot wait to do it again!

So does this mean you have added those foods back into your diet (in more limited quantities perhaps?) :confused3 From your other thread I was under the impression that you had stopped eating sugar (and many starches, like potatoes) all together.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter