Uber/Lyft - request to stop midway to destination?

lklasing

Told that I need DA meetings - Disney Anonymous
Hi - I'm going to be traveling from Kissimmee to SSR next month with luggage, by myself (one way only). I'd love to be able to make a grocery run on the way there, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do that using Uber/Lyft. Can you book those services to stop off at a different spot while on route to the ultimate destination? Would you be comfortable leaving luggage in the car while running into the store briefly? I'm just not sure how that works.

I thought about reserving a towncar for this, but don't know if they do non-airport runs like this would be. Also, the service we always used for years recently retired and I don't know which towncar services are good these days.

Will appreciate any thoughts or tips!

Hi - I'm going to be traveling from Kissimmee to SSR next month with luggage, by myself (one way only). I'd love to be able to make a grocery run on the way there, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do that using Uber/Lyft. Can you book those services to stop off at a different spot while on route to the ultimate destination? Would you be comfortable leaving luggage in the car while running into the store briefly? I'm just not sure how that works.

I thought about reserving a towncar for this, but don't know if they do non-airport runs like this would be. Also, the service we always used for years recently retired and I don't know which towncar services are good these days.

No. Those ride share's do not do grocery stops. Most towncar services will pick up where ever you are - not airport only.

There are a dozen or so towncar threads here where people will offer their personal favs. I suspect you'll get a lot of suggestions right here

Uber does allow you to book a trip with stops according to their website, but I doubt the stops are long enough for shopping. They allow you to book additional stops to do things like picking up multiple people at different addresses traveling together to the airport. It might work if you order groceries for pick up, so that you pull up, they bring your order out to the car, and you continue on your way.

You book the stops when you book the initial ride, as it affects the fare.

I agree with the poster above that ordering a grocery delivery to your resort might be the better option than trying to make the stop yourself.

Hi - Yes, you can book extra stops along the way or when making the reservation. With Uber, choose your destination, then look to the right where there is a plus sign "+" and choose it to enter another destination/stop. Then, ensure it is in the order you want. If not, simply drag and drop the stops to ensure your last stop is correct. Feel free to send me a pm if you have any questions.

I learned this recently to use multiple stops with my Uber driver while visiting Disneyland. I asked politely if he was ok waiting and it was no problem (I also tipped an extra amount in cash when asking). I had my list ready and shopped quickly, but probably not quick enough. Uber also charges a fee for the wait, but it was nominal. If you feel your shop will be long, I'd utilize a grocery delivery service. Happy travels!

Last edited:
Hi - Yes, you can book extra stops along the way or when making the reservation. With Uber, choose your destination, then look to the right where there is a plus sign "+" and choose it to enter another destination/stop. Then, ensure it is in the order you want. If not, simply drag and drop the stops to ensure your last stop is correct. Feel free to send me a pm if you have any questions.
I always thought that was in order to pick up another person. Not leaving the car and shopping - even quickly. I never knew that plus sign could be used to leave the car and shop. So it's really no different than a towncar service.

I wonder if that could be used as a round-trip; leave my house, stop number one is the store, then stop number two in my house.
I learned this recently to use multiple stops with my Uber driver while visiting Disneyland. I asked politely if he was ok waiting and it was no problem (I also tipped an extra amount in cash when asking). I had my list ready and shopped quickly, but probably not quick enough. Uber also charges a fee for the wait, but it was nominal. If you feel your shop will be long, I'd utilize a grocery delivery service. Happy travels!
Now I'm even more confused. Why did you have to ask if the driver was ok waiting if adding a stop means leaving the car and doing some shopping.

I always thought that was in order to pick up another person. Not leaving the car and shopping - even quickly. I never knew that plus sign could be used to leave the car and shop. So it's really no different than a towncar service.

I wonder if that could be used as a round-trip; leave my house, stop number one is the store, then stop number two in my house.

Now I'm even more confused. Why did you have to ask if the driver was ok waiting if adding a stop means leaving the car and doing some shopping.
Yes, this definitely could be used for a round trip because Uber allows two extra stops for now. Again, there is a small fee allotted for wait time, but I also tipped extra.

Adding a stop does mean adding a stop, not necessarily shopping. The reason the driver was asked is because there is the possibility he could have already accepted another ride that would be waiting after my drop off. Adding another stop with a wait would have caused him to be late. This was not the case, so I was quite excited to get my shopping done.

Uber and Lyft can do multiple stops, but they don't have a wait option. I would compare the cost of just getting the ride over to SSR and doing Instacart or another shopping app with doing 3 Ubers: Kissimmee to SSR, SSR to the store, store back to SSR. I feel like both of those options will probably be cheaper than a towncar service which includes a stop.

Yes, this definitely could be used for a round trip because Uber allows two extra stops for now. Again, there is a small fee allotted for wait time, but I also tipped extra.

Adding a stop does mean adding a stop, not necessarily shopping. The reason the driver was asked is because there is the possibility he could have already accepted another ride that would be waiting after my drop off. Adding another stop with a wait would have caused him to be late. This was not the case, so I was quite excited to get my shopping done.
Thanks for the clarification. That second stop (the + sign on the app) is not a shopping stop. But you can always ask the driver. If the driver can't wait then you don't get to shop on your way to the hotel.

Kind of a roll of the dice. I know I wouldn't take the chance.

Make a curbside order pick up at Walmart rather than trying to play Supermarket Sweep and run wild through the aisles. By shopping at Walmart you can add things like sunscreen and other toiletries as well as grocery items. This way your order is waiting for you and will be ready to load thus limiting the waiting time and inconvenience to the Uber driver.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter