Uber/Lyft ?

skellinton

DIS Veteran
We leave on Saturday, our flight is at 2pm from SNA. Some crazy newb questions.We have never used Lyft or Uber before, will that hinder us getting someone to pick us up since we will have no rating? What time should we leave the hotel? What time do we put in a request? Anything we should know? Is one service or app better than the other?

You should not have a problem getting a car, even without a rating. You're fine on that. At that time in the afternoon, there should be plenty around too. I wouldn't think you would wait more htan 15 minutes for one to show up, so request it about that long before your intended departure time (and realize it could come sooner). As far as the apps go, I prefer Lyft, but really they are about the same - many drivers pickup for both.

BrianL gave good advice. Make sure you've downloaded the app(s). I would just add that I usually check both apps when I'm ready to be picked up and choose the cheaper one. I've had good service from both Uber and Lyft. For some reason, there is often a cost difference on a given ride request and sometimes it's substantial.

When you download the app, you can put in your payment info. That makes it very easy--you just hop in when the ride arrives (the app will show you the vehicle's progress to your pick-up location and give you the make/model, license number and driver's name) and then grab your stuff and go when you arrive at the destination. You can tip in the app as well or you can tip with cash, which I often do.

I would suggest practicing with both apps before your trip, like going somewhere close with Uber and returning with Lyft, so that you are comfortable your accounts and payment methods are all set up correctly. That will also get you set up with (hopefully) a 5 star rating.

I heard the #1 reason for riders getting less than five stars is for slamming the door closed too hard. So I always make a point of being VERY gentle.

Yeah, that's a good one too. Just be nice and respectful and it's fine. I have chatted with many drivers who like the theme park to airport routes because they don't have to deal with drunk people. Many in the Orlando area do just that. One told me that they won't pick up for Disney Springs to hotel routes. Of course, drunk people make up a good market for rideshares (thankfully as it's much better than them driving!), but some drivers don't want to deal with all that either.

On Uber you can book ahead of time if you know exactly when you want to be picked up and where you want to go. I think Lyft is the same. We usually book the day before for an airport return trip. It just gives me peace of mind.

On Uber you can book ahead of time if you know exactly when you want to be picked up and where you want to go. I think Lyft is the same. We usually book the day before for an airport return trip. It just gives me peace of mind.
Thank you. We will do that for sure, and give us plenty of time to get there, just in case.

I prefer setting up rides ahead of time and it's easy to do! If you do so also chose the Lux category or higher on Lyft or black car on Uber: they are incentivized to follow through on pick ups and their category gets dinged if they cancel on you.

You can also chose the size of your vehicle which can be very helpful if you have more people / luggage etc!

As suggested, download the apps and get your information in them so can book a ride when ready.

Basically i'll take a look at the app early and see what the estimated travel time is. Average time for a driver to show up is 5-10 minutes, but of course can be more if heavy traffic. Our ride from hotel on Harbor Blvd. to SNA was ~20 minutes. We left 2 hours before flight and were to gate with plenty of time (and then our flight was delayed, but were good if it was on time).

Make sure get a vehicle large enough for passengers AND luggage, just because it says 3/4 riders doesn't mean will fit all luggage too.... these are just peoples private cars, some trunks are small.

We booked one last night, thanks everyone. Husband made sure we booked one that could hold our luggage, the suitcases are pretty long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter