Uber money grab?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Was this just a blatant money grab by Uber with a reservation fee? It's the only ride I pre-scheduled and that charge appeared. The rest of my rides were as we went and no such charge showed up on the bill.Screenshot_20240206_093839_Gmail.jpg

I think of it more as a convenience “tax” for the person who booked it. Instead of you waiting for the driver the driver waits for you🤷🏽‍♀️

Not everything is a "money grab" or trying to scam you. A reservation fee is a fee for...making a reservation. As, in pre-booking. Since this is the only one you pre-booked, of course it is the only one where this fee occurred. You would have been told of this fee when you made the booking.

I pre-booked one a few years back, didn't remember seeing it then. But that was in 2021, so I could be wrong. So the driver waits for you? Why? Is there something extra you get for that fee?

I'm not a ride share driver. I don't personally know any.

I think your wording is rude.

Would the correct answer be something like NO just an entitled customer who has an issue paying for the service ordered as per terms agreed to.
Whatttteveerrrr, lol! I wasn't referring to the driver, but the actual company.

It’s not a money grab or scam. While waiting for your pickup time, the driver can’t be driving someone else. You are paying for the time Uber and the driver aren’t making money because they are waiting for you.
OK, that makes sense. I was really confused about it.

Placing fees in other categories can also be a way to obscure the total cost of something when doing price comparisons. Haven't used a regular cab in years, but if you look online at their prices, do they also add extra 'fees' compared to these online taxi companies?

I was waiting to see what other people might post, but I think this thread is getting fewer replies than I expected because it is on the Budget forum rather than the Transportation forum.

Here are some threads which include discussions about booking Uber in advance (even if that isn't the title of the thread):

https://www.disboards.com/threads/early-morning-flight-transportation.3937044/#post-65235346

https://www.disboards.com/threads/ride-share-taxi-is-not-as-easy.3918349/page-2

https://www.disboards.com/threads/from-mco-to-gf.3899696/#post-64399730

I know that airports are charging fee's for allowing Uber to pick up. Cleveland is reported to be one of the highest airport charging fee's to Uber drivers.

Contrary to the other posters I do think it is a blatant cash grab as that money I'm sure doesn't go to the driver. Uber is a service and if they offer the ability to pre-book so someone can guarantee work (meaning the driver knows that a ride is waiting for them) it shouldn't be on the consumer to pay for that.

I won't pre book any more rides.
This seems like the sensible approach.

Pre-booking the reservation gives you ease of mind in knowing that a car is coming, and you won't be stuck on a street corner worrying about whether you'll make your trip on time. That's the value-add.

What is that ease of mind worth? If it's worth at least $6 to you, then pay it; if not, then don't. You can decide if it's worth what they're charging. And then they can take that signal back and decide if they are charging too much.

Personally, I'm cheap, so I wouldn't pay to pre-book unless it were like a 4AM pickup when there aren't many rides around. 😂 😂

Contrary to the other posters I do think it is a blatant cash grab as that money I'm sure doesn't go to the driver...
Actually, if you read the Ride Share Guy blog on this topic, he says its a very good deal for him, he just wished there were more that used it.

I've never used it, probably never will, but sure seems like a lot of people get paranoid about a ride share not being available, between Uber & Lyft I've just never had a problem getting a ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter