Uber money grab?

Actually, if you read the Ride Share Guy blog on this topic, he says its a very good deal for him, he just wished there were more that used it.

I've never used it, probably never will, but sure seems like a lot of people get paranoid about a ride share not being available, between Uber & Lyft I've just never had a problem getting a ride.
Availability for rides differ depending on where you live.

Prebook is definitely worth it if you don't live near a major town/city AND you want a guaranteed ride at a specific time. My daughter's car was recently in the shop and she didn't have a loaner, so she prebooked rides to work since she lives outside the city limits, was totally worth it to have peace of mind she wouldn't be late to work.

Prebook is definitely worth it if you don't live near a major town/city AND you want a guaranteed ride at a specific time. My daughter's car was recently in the shop and she didn't have a loaner, so she prebooked rides to work since she lives outside the city limits, was totally worth it to have peace of mind she wouldn't be late to work.
Okay, now this ^^^ is a helpful post. I usually am using Uber/Lyft when I am in the Orlando area, NYC, or some other large city, where there are a lot of drivers. But when I'm home, there are very few Uber/Lyft drivers. If my car is in the shop, I might prebook, like your daughter did. I honestly never thought of it that way. Thank you.

So question - is this really a guaranteed ride if you book it in advance?

Reason I ask is I had issues a couple of times in Portugal. For example I got a Uber in Faro no issue at all and a ride that was about 20 minutes away. Problem was getting back. Three different Ubers were coming and then cancelled. I just happened to get lucky that someone who was heading into Faro for personal stuff happened to see my request in the Uber app, so she drove 10KM out of her way to pick us up. I took good care of her, and got a 50% off from uber for all the cancellations.

Reason I ask is I had issues a couple of times in Portugal. For example I got a Uber in Faro no issue at all and a ride that was about 20 minutes away. Problem was getting back. Three different Ubers were coming and then cancelled. I just happened to get lucky that someone who was heading into Faro for personal stuff happened to see my request in the Uber app, so she drove 10KM out of her way to pick us up. I took good care of her, and got a 50% off from uber for all the cancellations.
Didn't work for me in Centreville, MD. I preordered an Uber to Baltimore airport (about 1.25 hours drive), the afternoon before an early morning departure. Waited and waited. Nobody ever arrived, but it never canceled for me.

Then again, there's no Grubhub there, either. Dominos is the only place that delivers.

No, it is still not guaranteed. But it does put the ride out there in advance so drivers can "pick it up" in advance.

Heres what the Uber website says:

Reservation fee​

Reservation fees are also included on scheduled rides as a fee for the convenience and reliability that scheduling a ride in advance provides. When you schedule at least an hour in advance, the price of your trip will be locked and you won’t be subject to dynamic pricing on your trip. Reservation fees are included in the price you see before requesting a ride.

Time and distance pricing does not apply to Uber Reserve, which is paid as an upfront fare.

Bad enough that your Wendy's order that Uber is bringing you is subject to dynamic pricing, but now Uber is hitting you too.

Didn't work for me in Centreville, MD.
Look - no offence by why in the heck would you count on a uber from Centreville to BWI?
This isn't the place to count on a Uber ride. We use Prince Limo out of Chestertown if we have a big group, otherwise we drive ourselves - but there is a outfit or two out of KI that does BWI trips....look I'd LOVE it if we have reliable Uber/Lyfts around here....then we could take them from The Narrows or Stevensville there and back to home in Church Hill and enjoy a few drinks.
Signed me.... Church Hill/Centreville area resident who would LOVE regular & dependable Uber availability around here.

Look - no offence by why in the heck would you count on a uber from Centreville to BWI?
This isn't the place to count on a Uber ride. We use Prince Limo out of Chestertown if we have a big group, otherwise we drive ourselves - but there is a outfit or two out of KI that does BWI trips....look I'd LOVE it if we have reliable Uber/Lyfts around here....then we could take them from The Narrows or Stevensville there and back to home in Church Hill and enjoy a few drinks.
Signed me.... Church Hill/Centreville area resident who would LOVE regular & dependable Uber availability around here.
My parents had just moved there from NJ, and it was my first visit out to them. I live in the Chicagoland area. It did not even occur to me that there would not be any service. And the Uber app confirmed my reservation (it was ALSO my first use of pre-ordering the Uber).

Fully understand now and won't make that mistake ever again.

Availability for rides differ depending on where you live.
This. In my area, especially at odd times, it would totally be worth an up charge. If you could even get anyone at an odd time. In Orlando, absolutely no way whatsoever.

Conversely, the "discounted rate to wait longer" option is just cash in pocket around MCO or the Orlando parks/tourist areas. Sure, I'll pay less to wait 4min for a ride instead of 2min.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter