Uber or bus to Universal from Anaheim Desert Inn?

CandyMouse

DIS Veteran
There will be 6 of us on our next trip in April 2020 Yay! What's the best way to go to Universal? We're planning 4 day DL and 1 day Universal and staying at Desert Inn. Also do you know approximate cost? Thanks, Candy

UberXL from Desert Inn to Universal Studio Parking lot is $90-$120.
I just went to the Uber estimate site, I've never done Universal from Disney so I don't know if there's a better option.

whichever way you travel, you are looking at at least 70 minutes or longer each way, depending on traffic.

There are a few options
  1. Uber direct from Desert Inn to Universal - shortest travel time, most expensive
  2. Metro Route 460 city bus from Disneyland to Downtown LA -approx 2 hours, then Red Line Underground Metro to Universal City, then the free shuttle bus up to Universal Theme Park and City Walk OR Uber from Downtown LA to Universal
  3. Uber or ART bus route 15 to Anaheim ARTIC train Station, then train to Union Station, then Red Line Underground Metro to Universial City, then the free shuttle bus up to Universal Theme Park and City Walk OR Uber from Union Station to Universal
  4. Hire a car - Alamo, Enterprise and Avis are on W Katella Avenue
  5. Starline Universal Tour https://www.starlinetours.com/products/universal-studios-hollywood-tour picks up in Anaheim at 9.30am, bus takes you to Hollywood, where you change to another bus to Universal, leaves Universal at 6pm to reverse journey.

Thank-you all, I think we'll probably do either Uber or the Tour bus. We have a lot of time to decide until next Spring break! pixiedust:

We are a family of 7 going to Universal from Anaheim for 1 day this summer. I have elected to use Lansky for the round trip travel. It is expensive but if it saves my sanity driving in LA traffic it is worth it. The cost is $300 and includes tip.

I would move entirely, doing Universal at the beginning or end of the trip, rather than deal with that drive twice in a day.

And I would rent a car for the move.

Starline Universal Tour https://www.starlinetours.com/products/universal-studios-hollywood-tour picks up in Anaheim at 9.30am, bus takes you to Hollywood, where you change to another bus to Universal, leaves Universal at 6pm to reverse journey.

Picks up at 9:30, takes about 1.5 hours, you CHANGE buses? That gives you hardly any time at the park! Even if that included VIP (and if it did you're missing out on the breakfast and early part of the day), that's a nope nope nope for me!

I agree with Bumbershoot. If I had thought this through when originally planning I would have made Universal the first stop and then transferred to Disneyland in the evening when done at Universal. Unfortunately you purchase Universal tickets for a specific day and now I cannot change that. I have done a bus tour from Anaheim to San Diego and would not do that again. There was too much time on the bus and limited hours for SeaWorld.

It's been about 27 yrs since I've done Universal and probably 10 or so for Sea World, I remember doing a Tour bus, and yes it took a while. Honestly I'm happy just doing DL and CA, because I hate traveling by car, but I'm trying to think of the rest of my family. I guess I'll let them all know what our options are and we'll go from there. Thanks so much!

If you do this during a week day then it's a LONG drive on both ends - and that is just with traffic volume, not considering should there be anything like an accident or weather issues. My advice is to get up super early to head to Universal and then stay later and have dinner afterwards and then head back once rush hour is long over.

We are a family of 7 going to Universal from Anaheim for 1 day this summer. I have elected to use Lansky for the round trip travel. It is expensive but if it saves my sanity driving in LA traffic it is worth it. The cost is $300 and includes tip.

I’ve taken a Lyft to Artic station (about 7 mins), the Pacific Surfliner to Burbank and then a Lyft from there to Universal. There is a subway or lightrail that goes directly from the train station to Universal (I believe the red line), but it wasn’t operating due to maintenance when we went. The trip was easy and shorter than actually driving due to traffic.

We did Universal our last trip (last year) and our family of 5 used Lansky for both ways. It was a heinous drive both ways but because we weren't driving, we were fairly refreshed and ready to do the park. If we had driven it ourselves we for sure wouldn't have enjoyed the park as much as we did. We did this trip in the middle of our DL trip. It was our only time going to Universal, and hopefully the last :rotfl2:

Rent a car. Do three days at Disney and on that last fourth day, check out of the hotel and either have them hold your bags or pack them in your car and park at Disney. Leave Disney a little "early" compared to a normal day maybe (like 9 or 10pm). Drive to Universal and stay at the Sheraton or Hilton in Universal City, the drive at that time of night should take 30 to 40 minutes, maybe less. The hotels are within 2 to 3 minute drive of Universal, and it's possible to walk from the Hilton to the park (probably possible to walk from the Sheraton too, but it's a little up hill and around some parking lots and stuff).

This maximizes time at Universal so you'll be in the park all day. You'll get the short lines by being in right at open. You won't dread a long ride home at the end of the day. It's worth it.

It minimizes how much time you lose at Disney. You'll end up leaving a couple hours early but by day 4 if you leave at 9pm vs close you're not really missing out on anything.

I would look at the Luxbus. Lux Bus America

Its about $40 per person round trip. Leaves 7:30ish in the morning from anaheim, depending on hotel location and gets you back in the evening around 8:30ish. After making the rounds at the hotels in anaheim picking up guests its a straight shot to Universal. Still cheaper to rent a car but if you dont want to drive or deal with parking etc its pretty simple.

Just be aware that if you take any of the tour bus options you will miss out on any of the night time entertainment that Universal offers as the tour buses arrive at the park well after park opening and leave several hours before park close.

So if you have any interest in seeing Dark Arts at Hogwarts Castle show do not take a tour bus.

A lot of good advice and options. I'll talk to my family to see what they want to do. Thanks!!

Just be aware that if you take any of the tour bus options you will miss out on any of the night time entertainment that Universal offers as the tour buses arrive at the park well after park opening and leave several hours before park close.

So if you have any interest in seeing Dark Arts at Hogwarts Castle show do not take a tour bus.

I second this. The first time I went from Anaheim to Universal I did this. I was pretty bummed out that we were picked up by 5pm ish.
I like staying late for the shows and rides in the night time, so ever since then, I've been back twice and have used Lansky and Lyft/Uber!

Lansky is awesome, spacious and clean. It was too pricey for 2 people. I'd recommend for a family though---then the price isn't as bad.

Lyft was easy because there are tons of cars ready around the area.
This way I got to hang out around Citywalk and soak in the atmosphere :)

I second this. The first time I went from Anaheim to Universal I did this. I was pretty bummed out that we were picked up by 5pm ish.
I like staying late for the shows and rides in the night time, so ever since then, I've been back twice and have used Lansky and Lyft/Uber!

Lansky is awesome, spacious and clean. It was too pricey for 2 people. I'd recommend for a family though---then the price isn't as bad.

Lyft was easy because there are tons of cars ready around the area.
This way I got to hang out around Citywalk and soak in the atmosphere :)
Sounds like Lyft/Uber or Lansky will be the best for us and I'm sure we'll want to check out the Citywalk area and have dinner. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter