• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ugh, forgot to bank again

lorenni

DIS Veteran
So this time at least I have a good excuse - I was run over crossing the street earlier this year and have been recovering from a brain injury. My working memory is struggling. But this is still frustrating.

I already have a few points sitting over with RCI, but haven’t had the energy to actually look into using them. Similarly, I don’t know if I have the energy to deal with renting out my points that expire in Feb. So leaning towards just chucking these over to RCI as well.

Does anyone actually stay with RCI? Are the RCI places even open now? How hard is renting? I imagine doing it myself is much more work than using an agency. But then, I contacted an agency last year and had to explain US withholding taxes to their rep, who insisted I cannot rent points because I live outside the US (I’m a US citizen, and happen to work specifically in the field of US withholding and no, those rules don’t apply to US citizens, no matter where they live, sigh.). So there too, a lack of energy to explain taxes to anyone again.

So what say you, wise hive mind:
Roll them to RCI
or
Rent on my own
or
Rent through an agency

My guess is that as people start posting answers, they are going to forget the specifics of your post (that you have a TBI which may impact the efforts you can make toward this). Everybody is going to tell you to rent on your own.

You contacted an agency about renting out your points. Try contacting another one. The two most popular are:
https://dvcrentalstore.com/https://dvcrequest.com/
If neither of those can help you, then move onto the idea of either renting on your own or depositing your points into RCI. I have never done either of those, so I can't be much help.

You also could try contacting DVC and begging them to make an exception for you. I don't know if that would work, but you could try.

Given your injury, I'd recommend renting through an agency. Do you have anyone---a family member or a close friend---who could help with that process? Even an agency is going to require some involvement on your part.

I definitely would not recommend trying to rent on your own. It's a lot of work.

RCI can be a way to salvage something---I've used it often with non-DVC timeshares---but I don't think I'd recommend it as anything other than a last resort. You've got several months to see if you can rent them before you'd have to deposit them.

Addendum:

The other question is how many points we are talking about here. Renting is going to be more or less a fixed amount of effort unless you have a LOT of points and need to rent in more than a transaction or two. If you only have a couple dozen or so that you are dealing with, the hassle of renting might not be worth it.

I agree with trying to get an exception.

I have done RCI once (soon to be twice). I think 90% of the options are horrible, but I do think the Hilton Grand Vacation Club trades are good value. We spent a week at their Kings Land property in Waikoloa on the Big Island, Hawaii a few years ago. Loved it. Just booked The Bay Club (also Waikoloa) yesterday (we checked it out last time we were there and really liked it) for Nov 2022. Hilton deposits their availability into RCI in chunks, and just loaded the Bay Club for 2022 a few days ago. Plenty of 1 and 2 bedroom availability.

So this time at least I have a good excuse - I was run over crossing the street earlier this year and have been recovering from a brain injury. My working memory is struggling. But this is still frustrating.

I already have a few points sitting over with RCI, but haven’t had the energy to actually look into using them. Similarly, I don’t know if I have the energy to deal with renting out my points that expire in Feb. So leaning towards just chucking these over to RCI as well.

Does anyone actually stay with RCI? Are the RCI places even open now? How hard is renting? I imagine doing it myself is much more work than using an agency. But then, I contacted an agency last year and had to explain US withholding taxes to their rep, who insisted I cannot rent points because I live outside the US (I’m a US citizen, and happen to work specifically in the field of US withholding and no, those rules don’t apply to US citizens, no matter where they live, sigh.). So there too, a lack of energy to explain taxes to anyone again.

So what say you, wise hive mind:
Roll them to RCI
or
Rent on my own
or
Rent through an agency
You have a banking deadline that is a holiday..HALLOWEEN. In the future, when you see Halloween candy in the stores...BANK YOUR Points

Notes are added to your membership for exceptions and such . If you have forgot in the past , you maybe out of luck.
RCI woukd atleast give your two more years to use them

No harm in asking and you never know until you do.

Notes are added to your membership for exceptions and such . If you have forgot in the past , you maybe out of luck.
RCI woukd atleast give your two more years to use them
To me, it sounds like OP did not use her one-time exception since she put her points into RCI instead.

You could sell the contract with the points there. It's probably worth more to rent them out privately, but selling is an option. If WDW/DVC isn't for you, it's a great time to sell.

I would call DVC to see if you can bank the points. If you can not then I would put them into RCI.
The availability of DVC inventory between now and Feb 28,2022 is practically none so renting or using those points will be difficult.

I am sorry for all you are going through right now. I agree with others that it doesn't hurt to ask. Even using RCI again, you have to call so might as well at least try. Given the current times we are in, I'd say you have a chance to at least have them make the exception for you.

Addendum:

The other question is how many points we are talking about here. Renting is going to be more or less a fixed amount of effort unless you have a LOT of points and need to rent in more than a transaction or two. If you only have a couple dozen or so that you are dealing with, the hassle of renting might not be worth it.

About 130

You could sell the contract with the points there. It's probably worth more to rent them out privately, but selling is an option. If WDW/DVC isn't for you, it's a great time to sell.
Honestly I’ve thought about it. We have three contracts but between moving to Canada and now Covid it’s getting harder and harder to use them up.

I’ve been hanging on hoping things will level out and we’ll be able to get back to our regular Disney trips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter