Ugh! Too much scholarship money?

The job is very relevant to her major and will look great on grad school applications.

Eating on campus more often really isn't even an option the way the campus is set up. Freshman housing and the cafeteria are on one side of the campus, the campus is in the middle, and the sophomore and up section is on the complete opposite side. There isn't a cafeteria for them. They are welcome to use the one on the freshman side, but it is a hike and a half. She will likely never even step foot on that side once this year is over. This school isn't big on meal plans which I loved......until now! The only convenient options are fast food choices and she can really only stomach so much of that. She eats at Einsteins almost every day. I can't see her spending thousands of dollars on fast food. She simply doesn't eat that much in those types of restaurants. Her Einsteins bill is like $5 on a good day and $2 is the norm.

sigh...she might have to WALK? This is exactly what is wrong with he next generation. This is going to sound like one of those stories but I had a 2 mile walk to my bus stop when I was in high school. Yes, it was all uphill and often in a snowstorm :rotfl2::rotfl2: the only part that is true is the 2 mile walk.

Lisa

Are you kidding me????? She took the job because it would help her advance her career. It was actually posted as an internship so she assumed it wouldn't pay. OMG! How dare an 18 y/o not get everything right in a job interview. She should drop out of college now and hope she can get a job at McDonald's based on her total lack of preparedness. :rolleyes2 She actually has another job on campus that she is working this semester that pays and she will continue with that job next year so this was not even something she was thinking of in terms of "job" versus internship. She was surprised to learn that she would get a scholarship for it. How truly insulting of you to say that. She has done nothing but excel in her freshman year and she is being rewarded for that. Sorry you feel the need to read more into it.

No I'm not kidding.

sigh...she might have to WALK? This is exactly what is wrong with he next generation. This is going to sound like one of those stories but I had a 2 mile walk to my bus stop when I was in high school. Yes, it was all uphill and often in a snowstorm :rotfl2::rotfl2: the only part that is true is the 2 mile walk.

Lisa

:thumbsup2 But she doesn't want to eat campus food, and she'd have to walk across the whole campus to get it. Sometimes you just have to suck it up buttercup and this is one of those times. I can't believe this is even a real issue :rolleyes:

:confused3 your first post really sounded like you were frustrated with her Getting too much scholarship $$ instead of ready cash.
You did not state that this new job was an internship sort of job at all

This is what she said in her first post

DD will receive those same scholarships her sophomore. In addition, she received a great job on campus this next year. She was told it was one of the highest paying jobs on campus, but she doesn't have a clue how much they pay her. Yes, I want to smack her upside the head!

So she was told it was the highest paying jobs on campus and mom wanted to smack her for not finding out how much the salary was but now its -she thought it was an internship. Something doesn't smell quite right with the story, pr at least how new info pops up when needed.

Lisa

I switched college majors mid year and didn't have an Art Locker. I had to walk across campus carrying a 2' x3' drawing board and all my art supplies 3 x a week for a semester-it was brutal, but I had to do it.
Nowadays no kids can park on campus-they are bussed in from the Stadium a couple miles away.

I switched college majors mid year and didn't have an Art Locker. I had to walk across campus carrying a 2' x3' drawing board and all my art supplies 3 x a week for a semester-it was brutal, but I had to do it.
Nowadays no kids can park on campus-they are bussed in from the Stadium a couple miles away.

I played tenor sex. I seriously thought my arms were going to get longer lugging that thing back and forth to school.

I just don't know how we survived it.

Lisa

LisaInNc said:
I played tenor sex. I seriously thought my arms were going to get longer lugging that thing back and forth to school.

I just don't know how we survived it.

Lisa

Yikes!! Roflmao!

Lisa

During my Junior year, I had to walk 2 miles one way between my one class and the new campus, where my next class was, and then 2 miles back for dinner. I ate on campus, no eating out at restaurants for me. You would be surprised how fast a 20 year old can walk with a full back pack. I only had one class time to get from the one class to the other. I managed for the entire year to arrive early. I was in great shape from all of that fast walking.:rotfl2:

I never thought I'd say those words. I hope I'm missing something here. We NEED the money, but can we use the money being awarded?

DD's freshman year is over on Thursday! :cool1:

She received enough merit scholarships to cover all of her tuition and housing with a little leftover for her freshman year. Her college does not require a meal plan and she didn't want one. Cafeteria food is not her thing. We put the leftover money on her school ID which also works as a debit card. She could use it anywhere on campus (cafeteria, bookstore, restaurants on campus). We had to add money to it throughout the year because there wasn't enough scholarship money leftover. No biggie.

DD will receive those same scholarships her sophomore. In addition, she received a great job on campus this next year. She was told it was one of the highest paying jobs on campus, but she doesn't have a clue how much they pay her. Yes, I want to smack her upside the head! :lmao: But she just found out they don't pay her in cash, they pay in a scholarship. :mad: On top of that, DH's work awards a one-time $2000 scholarship to all incoming sophomores who meet certain conditions (she does).

Far be it for me to complain about extra money. She NEEDS the money, but she doesn't need it in the way of scholarships. Between the ones from last year and the $2000 from DH's work, she will have more than enough to cover tuition, housing, and food on campus. I am the queen of bargain book shopping and her books won't cost more than $70. I'm guessing the scholarship for her job will be a couple thousand dollars minimum. She eats off campus all the time. I'd say that's where the vast majority of her money goes. She could really use that money for off campus food or grocery shopping and toiletries, but if they put it in her school account as a scholarship, she won't be able to use it off campus.

She plans on going on for her Ph.D. We are trying to save every penny we can on her undergrad so we have more to contribute for her graduate degrees. I will be so mad if she has scholarship money that goes unused! I was searching online and people were saying to use it on things like a laptop or printer. We bought those things brand new last year. Ugh! Why can't they just give her cash? If she works all those hours on campus and is awarded in a scholarship she can't even spend, that will just suck. Am I missing something? Is there a way to use this money off campus?

Well I guess as problems go, yours is a good one to have! ;)

Check with the school, I noticed on my DD school account there was a line that basically said any credit balance left at the end of the semester will be refunded X number of days after the semester ends. So maybe you'll just get a check back at the end, and can use it for other expenses.

Lisa

Well, we've already determined that she is vastly unprepared for college and shouldn't even be there to begin with so it makes sense she wouldn't be able to handle the walk.

:thumbsup2 But she doesn't want to eat campus food, and she'd have to walk across the whole campus to get it. Sometimes you just have to suck it up buttercup and this is one of those times. I can't believe this is even a real issue :rolleyes:

I NEVER said she doesn't want to eat any campus food. Quit trying to make it into something it isn't. She currently eats in the cafeteria multiple times a week, plus she eats at some of the other fast food type places on campus. Next year, she says she will not eat in the cafeteria. It is positioned outside the freshman dorms and caters to them. Right now it is a convenience. Next school year, there will be far more convenient options on her end of campus/dorms. She will eat at those places which do not include a cafeteria. However, she will never eat at them often enough to justify a meal plan. Some people go to Disney and swear by the dinning plan and others feel it isn't worth it. This is the same situation. I would hate to "spend" that money on a plan where she will never get her monies worth. Maybe the meal plans are a great option for some kids. They aren't for DD.

Dontcha LOVE asking for advice here??? :goodvibes

OMG! Only on the Dis. This was definitely a question I should have posted on College Confidential instead. Live and learn. Glad I've started drinking for the night!

This is what she said in her first post

So she was told it was the highest paying jobs on campus and mom wanted to smack her for not finding out how much the salary was but now its -she thought it was an internship. Something doesn't smell quite right with the story, pr at least how new info pops up when needed.

Yes, you got me! This is a big conspiracy theory I have cooked up. None of this really even happened and I am just adding details as I go along for fun because I have nothing else to do. :stir:

This wasn't a one time conversation with DD. It was barely a conversation. Over the MONTHS, I got texts like:
I'm applying for X.
I have an interview.
I interviewed.
OMG! I got it.
Oops! I didn't ask how much it pays because I assumed it didn't pay.
I asked the girl who does it now and she said it was the highest paying job on campus.
Just got an email saying I am getting a scholarship for this position.

I'm sorry I didn't take copious notes over the months so I could refer back and not leave out a single detail in my very first post. Next time I'll know better. I can't swear to the wording DD used. It wasn't important at the time. I assumed job the entire time. My bad. I still call it a job. Oh well. I never thought twice about it until she mentioned the scholarship. Since most people use the excess money for things like computers and she doesn't need one, I figured I'd see if there were other options. I still think cash would be preferable, but my opinion doesn't matter.

From the looks of things, the money can be put on her school ID/debit card which can be used on campus for food, books, etc. That money never expires so she can get a refund when she graduates....not that it would last that long since I assume this is a one year thing and won't happen the following year.

This has been fun. I'm off to watch a movie and have some more wine. I'll try to make up some other type of story to entertain you at a future date. :rolleyes2

OMG! Only on the Dis. This was definitely a question I should have posted on College Confidential instead. Live and learn. Glad I've started drinking for the night!

I think you got some good answers early ... you shouldn't have to go to College Confidential ... (that site wears me out. :rotfl: )

I didn't read the whole thread. When I had extra scholarship money, I was able to use the extra funds to buy technology in the bookstore. That's how I got my computer.

At my DS university they have dining dollars and flex dollars. Flex dollars he can use at the bookstore, laundry, vending machines, convenience stores on and off campus and local fast food restaurants. See if her college has a card like that that and if you can put some left over scholarship money on it.

Talk to the financial aid office. When I worked in financial aid at URI (about a zillion years ago), we had several different "cost of attendance" structures, depending on where the student lived, what type of meal plan they took, etc. There was also a budget line for a student with NO meal plan; eating is still a cost of attendance, even if you cook and eat at home! It is possible that they will give her the balance of her financial aid so she can use it for groceries and books.

I would talk to the fin aid people before telling them about the outside scholarship from your DH's work. If your DD is already receiving ample scholarship/grant aid from the university and her internship/job, perhaps she should refuse the scholarship from your DH's place of employment, so that another deserving student can receive it.

(I have a deserving student (3.94 GPA through 1st semester of junior year), and we have limited income, but unfortunately all she qualifies for is loans. There's a funny grouping in financial aid where you really don't make much money, but you don't qualify for grants. DH has a second job and we have taken a boarder to help make ends meet, but of course a second job shows as more income and makes DD even less eligible for "free" money. I hope you know how fortunate you are to be in this position.)

Well, we've already determined that she is vastly unprepared for college and shouldn't even be there to begin with so it makes sense she wouldn't be able to handle the walk.

I NEVER said she doesn't want to eat any campus food. Quit trying to make it into something it isn't. She currently eats in the cafeteria multiple times a week, plus she eats at some of the other fast food type places on campus. Next year, she says she will not eat in the cafeteria. It is positioned outside the freshman dorms and caters to them. Right now it is a convenience. Next school year, there will be far more convenient options on her end of campus/dorms. She will eat at those places which do not include a cafeteria. However, she will never eat at them often enough to justify a meal plan. Some people go to Disney and swear by the dinning plan and others feel it isn't worth it. This is the same situation. I would hate to "spend" that money on a plan where she will never get her monies worth. Maybe the meal plans are a great option for some kids. They aren't for DD.

Yes, you got me! This is a big conspiracy theory I have cooked up. None of this really even happened and I am just adding details as I go along for fun because I have nothing else to do. :stir:

This wasn't a one time conversation with DD. It was barely a conversation. Over the MONTHS, I got texts like:
I'm applying for X.
I have an interview.
I interviewed.
OMG! I got it.
Oops! I didn't ask how much it pays because I assumed it didn't pay.
I asked the girl who does it now and she said it was the highest paying job on campus.
Just got an email saying I am getting a scholarship for this position.

I'm sorry I didn't take copious notes over the months so I could refer back and not leave out a single detail in my very first post. Next time I'll know better. I can't swear to the wording DD used. It wasn't important at the time. I assumed job the entire time. My bad. I still call it a job. Oh well. I never thought twice about it until she mentioned the scholarship. Since most people use the excess money for things like computers and she doesn't need one, I figured I'd see if there were other options. I still think cash would be preferable, but my opinion doesn't matter.

From the looks of things, the money can be put on her school ID/debit card which can be used on campus for food, books, etc. That money never expires so she can get a refund when she graduates....not that it would last that long since I assume this is a one year thing and won't happen the following year.

This has been fun. I'm off to watch a movie and have some more wine. I'll try to make up some other type of story to entertain you at a future date. :rolleyes2

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

The school will have a "total cost of attendance" for a sophomore student. If all scholarship and grants are paid to her account, the amount not on her bill should be refunded to her. She can then take the cash to buy groceries. If all the money deposited exceeds the total cost of attendance then the financial aid and business office might return the overage to the place it came from.

If a meal plan is not required and it sounds as though it's not, have all the money paid to the school on her behalf and the excess each semester will be refunded. Might not be until after add/drop but you should be totally fine. The average cost of attendance will include the cost of food, fees tuition etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter