Umbrella holder for shade

bluejasmine

DIS Veteran
So I'm renting a folding scooter from Regal mobility, really excited bc I can fold scooter and get on bus like normal so no anxiety. Anyway I am a little concerned about how hot Aug is so I'm thinking of getting an umbrella holder I can easily attach and detach to put a small umbrella over my head for some shade.
Anyone done this? Any recommendations or suggestions?

So I'm renting a folding scooter from Regal mobility, really excited bc I can fold scooter and get on bus like normal so no anxiety. Anyway I am a little concerned about how hot Aug is so I'm thinking of getting an umbrella holder I can easily attach and detach to put a small umbrella over my head for some shade.
Anyone done this? Any recommendations or suggestions?

I purchased an umbrella like you are describing on Amazon to use specifically at WDW. Here's what I found:

First of all, you *will* at some point find that the sun is coming underneath the umbrella and there will not be enough adjustment to keep that from happening. Just frustrating - and because you tend to be moving through crowds, etc. you have to make sure that your field of vision isn't impacted by the angle of the umbrella.

Next, it is a giant pain in the butt every time you want to get on/off of the scooter. If you put it high enough that you can kind of duck underneath, then you will either poke out someone's eye who is walking next to you, or you will block the vision of everyone behind you - and they won't be happy about it either. You don't realize how often you get on/off of a mobility device at WDW until you have something like an umbrella that you have to deal with constantly.

Finally, most of the umbrellas that you will be looking at for this purpose will tend to swivel with the wind. You don't think of Disney as a windy place... until you try to drive an ECV with an umbrella attached! Suddenly, the wind is swinging it around in directions you don't want, and every time - no fooling - every time - I turned a corner, that damn thing swung around on me until I got mad, and it wound up in a Disney trash can. I was about $30 poorer, but a whole bunch happier the next day when I went and bought a big old floppy brimmed hat to wear for the rest of the trip.

Don't do it...

Also, I know you are real excited about the idea of folding that scooter and walking on the bus... but do yourself a favor, and just ride it up the ramp.

My personal Travelscoot weighs only 35 pounds without me, and folds down to a size where it will fit into a golf bag, and I *never* fold it at WDW. Drive it on the bus - it will be too clumsy and cumbersome, and even if you can lift a 50 pound box no problem... a folded mobility scooter at 44 pounds will not be easy to drag up and down the steps of a bus.

But what do *I* know? I've only been doing this for years now... 😉

I purchased an umbrella like you are describing on Amazon to use specifically at WDW. Here's what I found:

First of all, you *will* at some point find that the sun is coming underneath the umbrella and there will not be enough adjustment to keep that from happening. Just frustrating - and because you tend to be moving through crowds, etc. you have to make sure that your field of vision isn't impacted by the angle of the umbrella.

Next, it is a giant pain in the butt every time you want to get on/off of the scooter. If you put it high enough that you can kind of duck underneath, then you will either poke out someone's eye who is walking next to you, or you will block the vision of everyone behind you - and they won't be happy about it either. You don't realize how often you get on/off of a mobility device at WDW until you have something like an umbrella that you have to deal with constantly.

Finally, most of the umbrellas that you will be looking at for this purpose will tend to swivel with the wind. You don't think of Disney as a windy place... until you try to drive an ECV with an umbrella attached! Suddenly, the wind is swinging it around in directions you don't want, and every time - no fooling - every time - I turned a corner, that damn thing swung around on me until I got mad, and it wound up in a Disney trash can. I was about $30 poorer, but a whole bunch happier the next day when I went and bought a big old floppy brimmed hat to wear for the rest of the trip.

Don't do it...

Also, I know you are real excited about the idea of folding that scooter and walking on the bus... but do yourself a favor, and just ride it up the ramp.

My personal Travelscoot weighs only 35 pounds without me, and folds down to a size where it will fit into a golf bag, and I *never* fold it at WDW. Drive it on the bus - it will be too clumsy and cumbersome, and even if you can lift a 50 pound box no problem... a folded mobility scooter at 44 pounds will not be easy to drag up and down the steps of a bus.

But what do *I* know? I've only been doing this for years now... 😉
Thank you, I appreciate this!! Not gonna do the umbrella.

A number of years ago I got a Brella Bag (http://brellabag.com/). I don't know if they are sold anymore, but if you can find one (or jury-rig one yourself) I find it works well and lets me use a sun protective or rain umbrella of my choice.

Because the umbrealla is inserted but not attached/affixed it is easy to quickly remove/take down -- either take the bag off or take the umbrella out or pull it down like normal.

If you couldn't find an actual Brellabag, you could probably jury-rig one using the idea and a cross-body bag. Note that the Brellabag has an extra strap to hold the umbrella handle.

Here is an article and video about it: https://www.newmobility.com/2014/12/brella-bag-snake-clamp-common/

(images screencaptured from Google; the Brella Bag's official FB page has lots of great pictures)

509052 509053

an umbrella no matter what is a disaster in DW.
A hat is your best bet. Find one that is comfortable for you. I suggest not too big in front because its hard to see out, above you.

The best option I found for sun protection is a good wide-brimmed sun protective hat [note: not all hats are made of sun protective material, so check] and long sleeve / long pants sun protective clothing. I like the Coolibar brand but there are other options out there.

Although it may be counter-intuitive, I find I am cooler in good long sleeve/pant sun protective clothing than I am in shorts and short sleeves. Not having the sun directly on your skin makes a big difference, and many of the fabrics are lightweight and have wicking qualities. I dress in layers, so the outer layer [especially on top] can be very lightweight over top of whatever I want underneath.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter