Ummmm, could I sound any more nervous?...

deide71

DIS Veteran
First of all, thanks for playing my voicemail today. My son was sooooooo excited to hear mommy on the podcast she listens to every week:goodvibes .

I am just amazed at how nervous I sound. I called on a whim, and wasn't prepared. That is my excuse for all of the ummmmm, and stammering. It kind of felt like I was leaving a message on some hot guy's voicemail and trying to sound cool:lmao: . Yikes, kind of difficult to listen to yourself on a recording, unless you are a professional podcaster;) .

Time to join Toastmasters.

Luckily none of my voicemails have been played. I never write down what I want to say ahead of time, so I end up going off on wild tangents... and since the thought of hearing myself crosses my mind, I get nervous and talk fast - also contributing to my tangents.

Bottom line, it's always better to have called and sounded nervous than to never have called at all ;)

-ExBellhop

You had a right to be nervous! That was quite a story. I have a personal emotional one that I would like to share, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to get it out without cracking a couple times, so I haven't yet!

GOOD JOB MOMMY!

I am just amazed at how nervous I sound. I called on a whim, and wasn't prepared. That is my excuse for all of the ummmmm, and stammering. It kind of felt like I was leaving a message on some hot guy's voicemail and trying to sound cool:lmao: . Yikes, kind of difficult to listen to yourself on a recording, unless you are a professional podcaster;) .

You sounded great! I didn't hear any nervousness in your voice. If I ever get up the courage to call I would sound like a nervous cross between SnowWhite & Glinda and if I got really excited one of the chipmunks on helium :faint: Too bad because I really want to thank a few CM's on the podcast. Already thanked them in person but it's not enough for what they did.

You had a right to be nervous! That was quite a story. I have a personal emotional one that I would like to share, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to get it out without cracking a couple times, so I haven't yet!

GOOD JOB MOMMY!

My thoughts exactly! You didn't sound nervous, just emotional - and rightfully so.

That is what I thought which of course led me to have my eyes well up on me.

Oh, I had tears streaming down my face. I guess because I have 2 small boys and we've walked that path from CR to MK and crossed that intersection many times. I just can't even imagine enduring what that family did! Thank goodness he is ok now.

What an ordeal you experienced, but what a relief to have had such a positive outcome! I agree w/ the other posters---you didn't sound nervous to me.

I hate that your voice mail got cut off though ....was there more to the story? PLEASE! PLEASE! finish it here for us? I'm glad your son is fine and now he has some great stories now to tell about his "special" Disney trip.....not to mention how his Mom has become famous on an international Podcast :)

Okay, here goes...

So my son (did I mention he was 5?) required surgery to repair a skull fracture and an epidural hematoma (blood between the outer covering of the brain and the skull). He was transfered to Arnold Palmer Children's hospital, across the street from Orlando Regional Medical center, for the procedure. The surgery took less than 2 hours.

While we were in the waiting room a very sweet man from Disney came by to relieve the manager from the Contemporary. His name was David and he was fantastic. He took my other 2 children to the playground at the hospital and kept them entertained while we waited.

Once my son was out of surgery and settled in the pediatric ICU David took the rest of the family (I stayed at the hospital) back to the Contemporary. Joe ( the manager from the Contemporary) had upgraded their room to the concierge level with a view of the Magic Kingdom. There were balloons and stuffed mickey's for the kids, and they had dinner at Chef Mickey's. This was so helpful to us. The kid's were obviously traumatized by witnessing the accident, so it took their minds off the day somewhat.

2007_0402Disneymarch070138.jpg

As I said, I spent the next 2 nights in the PICU sleeping on a futon with a view of the parking lot:thumbsup2 . Needless to say I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. My son convalesced pretty quickly...I was able to wheel him around the hospital in a wagon by the second day.

2007_0402Disneymarch070153.jpg

By the third day my husband had moved our suitcases to a townhouse in the Emerald Isle development on 192. I actually started crying when they told me he was doing so well he could be discharged. I remember how thrilled I was to be driving from the hospital to the townhouse with my baby tucked into a car seat. It could have been so much worse. I try to push those thoughts out of my head...but I can't help but wonder what if...

My son improved so much once he was out of the hospital. By that night he was walking around the condo and blowing bubbles. The next day he and dad took a short walk to hunt for lizzards.

2007_0402Disneymarch070155.jpg

We wanted to try to salvage a little bit of the trip for him, so I called Joe to ask of there was a hadicapped viewing area in the MK we could watch Wishes from. It was spring break so we were afraid of the crowds. Joe arranged for us to watch Wishes that night from the 14th floor concierge balcony at the Contemporary.

The day before we left we took a short trip the the Animal Kingdom to say goodbye to David, the cast member that had spent so much time helping take care of our other children while our son was in surgery. He runs the Nemo musical. He let us in the theatre early so we didn't have to wait in the line.

2007_0402Disneymarch070157.jpg

That night I stopped at Downtown Disney to upgrade our tickets to non-expiring. The cast member ran the tickets and looked puzzled: "I noticed you only used 2 day of your 7 day tickets, was there a problem with your visit?" In my typical midwestern way a stammered and tried to explain what happened without getting emotional...Ha! I ended up crying all over again while I recalled what had happened 5 days prior. She was so sweet she upgraded or passes to non-expiring for free.

So that's about it. He has a scar on the side of his head, but no lasting effects. If anyone asks him about the scar my lovely little man say "I got in a knife fight in Tijuana!" Needless to say dad taught him this one.

We were so very lucky, and really blessed to have met so many lovely people along the way. I still have the socks he was wearing that day in my purse. If I am having a bad day I just take them out and realize just how lucky I really am:thumbsup2 .

Wow! I, like everyone else, was bummed that the VM cut out. Just read the rest while feeding my 4-month old, can just imagine how I'd feel if something like this happened to one of my kids.... Goes to show you how precious life really is! Thank you for sharing your story, it's great to hear the true spirit of people (despite what we see on the news). Reinforces how I feel about the good folks at Disney as well. :)

I thought you sounded great! A little emotional, but what parent wouldn't recapping such an event. I'm really glad you called in and everybody got to hear how Disney dealt with such a tragic happening! Those little things are what make Disney so magical! I'm so sorry thinking about what you had to go through and glad that you're son is doing well. Thanks again for sharing and I'll be thinking of your little one! :love:

One heck of an adorable li'l guy you have there. Consider yourself hugged.

I was getting a lump in my throat while listening to your voicemail and now I'm getting one again reading "the rest of the story". Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us...it was a really good reminder that even when bad things happen at Disney, some magic can still be found! :goodvibes

Thanks for finishing the story for us. I, of course, have tears streaming down my face again - mostly due to the part about the socks :goodvibes

Your son is adorable! Love his ninja fight line.:laughing:

I'm so glad it all ended well.

I sent in a voicemail and I sound like I do when I am reading a paper I wrote for my class. It does not sound natural (partly because I was reading of a paper I wrote)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter