Ummmmm that's it?

Welcome the the new Disney, where it's all about Disney and its IP.

Wishes! and Illuminations: Reflections of Earth were all about you, and what you could be, and the people you love, and who love you. #Feels

WDI has lost its direction, or more appropriately, is being guided into a whole new world. I can say that, and that's all I can say about that.

It's a new day at Disney. And it's not a good one. #Sad

Yeah, using A Whole New World in a show celebrating Epcot was kind of a clue.

At the end, you’re waiting for something else to happen then you realize “wait, it’s over?”. Ridiculous. Sad. No thread to tie the various IP snippets together, just “here’s a Disney song”, “here’s another Disney song, this time in Chinese!” No substance to this at all. I keep saying, Disney’s lost its soul.

Agree! That ending was just sad.

Based on the stream, I think I will like the show, but I am reserving judgement until I see it in person.
I am of two minds on the stargate. On the one hand, I absolutely agree with you. I prefer to have the lagoon looking clean and pristine and beautiful. On the other, it's been a LONG time since it was that way. I can't believe you never noticed the horrible ugly structures that were in and around the lagoon for illuminiations: Reflections of Earth. It's been really since Illuminations '88 that we have had a "clean" lagoon.

I however am in full agreement that I would love to see some Disney Magic where those structures are hidden underneath the water or something until the show.
The barges for illuminations and this show aren't really comparable in terms of obstruction at all.

Yeah, using A Whole New World in a show celebrating Epcot was kind of a clue.

Oh, for sure. Because the world showcase, a firework show about unity, and a movie about 2 people from Arabia visiting Egypt and then China to watch fireworks have absolutely nothing in common.

I loved it! I was happily surprised that they included different languages. Hopefully the complaints don't cause Disney to scrap it for kites like they did with Rivers of Light. I'm still bitter over that.

It’s entirely possible that your experience is yours and yours alone. Sure, others might share it, many others might not.
People are entitled to love HEA and Epcot Forever and the new shows and feel a magic that is particular and personal.
It’s unfortunate that you don’t enjoy the new shows, but don’t think you are the absolute arbiter of taste in fireworks, or speak for the rest about how to feel when the night ends at the parks
Everyone on these boards is giving their own *personal* opinions based on their own *personal* experiences. No one is trying to be the arbiter of anything or telling you not to enjoy whatever you enjoy.

I agree.

All that "stuff" in the lagoon is horrendous, I can't believe that it would be acceptable.
Do you remember when, as ToT was being built, Imagineers noticed that guests could see the top of the tower from parts of WS?. So they fixed it so the top of tower blended in with the sight-view of Morocco Pavilion. What happened to those Imagineers? My uncle has been an Imagineer- Scenic Artist for Disney Parks and WDI since 1970. He is 83 now and has been pulled out of retirement so many times by Disney that it's almost like he's only semi-retired. Most recently he was called to help complete Galaxy's Edge at DLR. He still loves his work but had a few complaints about this new generation of Imagineering Project Heads. He said several times, "It wasn't like this before". To end on a positive note: At 83 he's spry and fit enough to do rock work on 5 story high scaffolding! Don't we all hope to be *that* kind of 80-something??!!?

Last edited:
See, that's a case of different people have different opinions. I found the barges and the globe to be a terrible eyesore. I prefer the stargate to that horrible, horrible globe.
The globe was tucked away all day and you could look right over the barges. The amount of obstruction isn't an opinion, it's a mathematical fact. How much the obstruction bothers you is an opinion, but not the amount of obstruction.

The globe was tucked away all day and you could look right over the barges. The amount of obstruction isn't an opinion, it's a mathematical fact. How much the obstruction bothers you is an opinion, but not the amount of obstruction.

If you are going to express a "mathematical fact", I would like to see your work, please. Something like square millimeters of obstruction from all viewing angles would do nicely. I will be patiently awaiting your proof of this "fact".

If you are going to express a "mathematical fact", I would like to see your work, please. Something like square millimeters of obstruction from all viewing angles would do nicely. I will be patiently awaiting your proof of this "fact".

If can be determined visually, arcangle counting not required.

364ffe99-17cc-4a92-bf04-0ea20cd6ea20.jpg

harmonious-barge-mexico-centered-epcot-2.jpg

Everyone on these boards is giving their own *personal* opinions based on their own *personal* experiences. No one is trying to be the arbiter of anything or telling you not to enjoy whatever you enjoy.

we’ve been discussing on this thread just how some people seem to consider their opinions, tastes and preferences, mostly negative, as the bar with which all current and future Disney experiences should be measured, which is both inaccurate and unfair, instead of framing them as what they are, accurate and valid personal opinions.
The post I quoted was a good example of it, speaking on behalf and to “people”, placing their opinion as the “truth” of an experience that is no more. I merely disagreed in how their dislike is personal and should be shared as so, to be aware that others might disagree entirely.

It's fine if you like the show. It's fine if the barges don't bother you. But claiming they are not more obstructive than ROE is just objectively false.

I admit I have not seen the whole affair - just the stargate before the barges. But in my defense my original post was not saying they were "less obstructive" then Reflections. I was merely pointing out that I personally also found Reflections to be ugly and distracting from the Lagoon when they first launched it. I still hold to that. Since the 90's It has been jarring to me when on the friendship boats the eyesore that was Reflections.

I still yearn for the days of yore when the lagoon looked like nature. Man-made nature, to be sure... but at least it looked the part.

we’ve been discussing on this thread just how some people seem to consider their opinions, tastes and preferences, mostly negative, as the bar with which all current and future Disney experiences should be measured, which is both inaccurate and unfair, instead of framing them as what they are, accurate and valid personal opinions.
The post I quoted was a good example of it, speaking on behalf and to “people”, placing their opinion as the “truth” of an experience that is no more. I merely disagreed in how their dislike is personal and should be shared as so, to be aware that others might disagree entirely.
My point is that it's implied in each post that what is expressed are the posters' *personal* opinions and not some mandate to other readers/posters. Should we all start each post with a disclaimer? Of course not.

I have read very few posts on these boards (and none in this particular thread) where people are placing their opinions as the "truth" for others, only their own personal truth, which is perfectly valid. But I also come at each post from the viewpoint that it's all opinion.

My point is that it's implied in each post that what is expressed are the posters' *personal* opinions and not some mandate to other readers/posters. Should we all start each post with a disclaimer? Of course not.

I have read very few posts on these boards (and none in this particular thread) where people are placing their opinions as the "truth" for others, only their own personal truth, which is perfectly valid. But I also come at each post from the viewpoint that it's all opinion.

I'll be honest.... I am trying to decide if you believe what you are saying, or if you have just perhaps been skipping over 70% of the recent posts on these boards.

I'm still not sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter