• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

*UN*Official 20 Years of Dreams Event Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just out of curiousity because this discussion fascinates me why wouldn’t you get on a gondola but would get on the monorail?

I'm a contradiction, I know. I also can ride most roller coasters at Disney, although EE really freaks me out in multiple parts with the height. But the monorail gives me the perception of being secure, maybe it is the concrete pillars. Dangling in the air, nothing below me, never gonna happen. I rode the Ferris Wheel on Navy Pier in Chicago and sobbed the entire time and had a panic attack. You couldn't pay me enough to even consider riding the Fun Wheel at California Adventure, which happens to be one of my daughter's favorites. I think it has something to do with the movement and lack of security, although I almost had a panic attack at the Grand Canyon, and I wasn't moving. :confused3

I suggest some research on gondola systems. A/C in them is rare and needs a major power source. Some systems do charge the units as they pass through the station but it’s not that reliable.

Gondolas have been constructed in places with similar climates to Florida without A/C and worked just fine. @TheMaxRebo has ridden one in Hong Kong I believe and they can get pretty warm and that system does not have A/C.

You also won’t be in these for a long period of time. They will be moving at 11-12 MPH and constantly moving unlike a bus. If somewhere were to happen they have back up generators and the ability to manually pull you into the station so you won’t be stuck for hours or anything.

Lightning is a question but these can run no problem in rain and even moderate to high winds.

yes, i did ride one in Hong Kong - not as hot as Florida usually but just as humid and this was a rather long trip in the gondola - the ones at WDW won't be longer than like 5 minutes at a time

As for safety, gondola systems are very common in Switzerland and they did a study that found they were 3 times safer than trains

Obviously if anyone doesn't want to ride them/doesn't feel safe in them that is totally understandable and up to them .... I just have trouble thinking Disney didn't consider all the concerns people have raised here and other places before deciding to invest millions of dollars in the system

well it's ok....i probably won't be riding it regardless...
i was trying to remember how hot i felt when i was in HK, but it was a long long long time ago...
most of the times i was there was in the winter (when i was growing up)...
the one time i remember being there in the summer was when i was about 7 months pregnant, so my perception would have been off...
and i'm from a very hot climate, so hot climates don't phase me as much...
although orlando in the summer does sometimes push me to my limits....

i was discussing this with my son earlier today - he said the glass will be very different from what's used in a car, so it won't heat up the way a car does in the summer (where the temperature is deadly within less than 20 minutes)..
although he does think it will be uncomfortable for people if it breaks down and it's not clear how quickly they'll be able to get people off given that even a manual override can breakdown...but that said, he doesn't think it will kill anyone, just be very unpleasant...

but i don't want to argue....i just meant it as an interesting discussion....
in any case, i'm much more afraid of heights than i am of heat...:blush:

well it's ok....i probably won't be riding it regardless...
i was trying to remember how hot i felt when i was in HK, but it was a long long long time ago...
most of the times i was there was in the winter (when i was growing up)...
the one time i remember being there in the summer was when i was about 7 months pregnant, so my perception would have been off...
and i'm from a very hot climate, so hot climates don't phase me as much...
although orlando in the summer does sometimes push me to my limits....

i was discussing this with my son earlier today - he said the glass will be very different from what's used in a car, so it won't heat up the way a car does in the summer (where the temperature is deadly within less than 20 minutes)..
although he does think it will be uncomfortable for people if it breaks down and it's not clear how quickly they'll be able to get people off given that even a manual override can breakdown...but that said, he doesn't think it will kill anyone, just be very unpleasant...

but i don't want to argue....i just meant it as an interesting discussion....
in any case, i'm much more afraid of heights than i am of heat...:blush:

No worries! And we may be a bit defensive as this topic has come up a lot in other threads and on Facebook - and there it was much more people wanting to argue ;)

There is supposed to be a reflective coating and venting for passive cooling - and there is at least one back up system should the main system shut down so chance of being truly stuck I think is pretty low.

Guess we will just have to wait until they are up and running to see how things really are though

I'm a contradiction, I know. I also can ride most roller coasters at Disney, although EE really freaks me out in multiple parts with the height. But the monorail gives me the perception of being secure, maybe it is the concrete pillars. Dangling in the air, nothing below me, never gonna happen. I rode the Ferris Wheel on Navy Pier in Chicago and sobbed the entire time and had a panic attack. You couldn't pay me enough to even consider riding the Fun Wheel at California Adventure, which happens to be one of my daughter's favorites. I think it has something to do with the movement and lack of security, although I almost had a panic attack at the Grand Canyon, and I wasn't moving. :confused3
I'm afraid of heights, but I've decided it stems from a fear of being a klutz. The monorail or a plane doesn't bother me because like you said - I'm enclosed and feel secure because I can't trip and fall off something. Escalators....I'm afraid I'm going to go straight over the rail or trip down them.
I have a t-shirt that summed up the Grand Canyon for me. I hiked the Grand Canyon...from my car door to the guard rail. (Although I didn't even get that close to the guard rail.)

Wow! I'm still waiting on Southwest. Just booked one-way from LGB (Long Beach) to MCO for $188. Waiting for the return days to open up in about a week to buy the other way.

@dina444444 which airline?
American direct flights out of LAX. Leaving 8/6 in the afternoon and coming home 8/12 in the afternoon/evening. I think the days of the week did make a difference.

American direct flights out of LAX. Leaving 8/6 in the afternoon and coming home 8/12 in the afternoon/evening. I think the days of the week did make a difference.

Great! I see it. I might switch over to LAX. We try our best to avoid it if at all possible but the savings are too good.

Great! I see it. I might switch over to LAX. We try our best to avoid it if at all possible but the savings are too good.
I live pretty close to LAX so it’s my first choice airport. I’ve only flown into Long Beach once but it was on a direct jet blue flight from JFK for work cause it was significantly cheaper then flying into LAX.

it's amazing that it's on american!!
i'll buy our tickets at the last minute probably...
but whenever i buy them, it will probably cost us about $2,000/person for economy....if i'm lucky!...
i think that deserves another of these icons... :scared1:...or really several of those... :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

it's amazing that it's on american!!
i'll buy our tickets at the last minute probably...
but whenever i buy them, it will probably cost us about $2,000/person for economy....if i'm lucky!...
i think that deserves another of these icons... :scared1:...or really several of those... :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

Eeks, hopefully you’ll get lucky and get something a little more affordable.

Eeks, hopefully you’ll get lucky and get something a little more affordable.

the current price i think is actually around $1800 to MCO via NYC....
but i'll wait anyway.....no need to buy this far in advance for such a horrible rate!!

the problem is it's the summer...if it were the winter, it would be half that!!! or even less...

but it's worth it to finally be there for a dis/podcast event!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hiked the Grand Canyon...from my car door to the guard rail. (Although I didn't even get that close to the guard rail.)
Here's a shot of me at the Grand Canyon last year. Clearly, I will not be afraid of the gondolas.

EQI045Xl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter