• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Unable to Score a Handicap Room

Behind the toilet? Down on the floor behind it, or above the toilet? I'm just not getting why there would be a grab bar there? Are you sure it wasn't a towel bar?

This picture below is from our September 2018 stay at POFQ in a roll-in shower room. That's actually the way it's supposed to be! :)

A grab bar behind the toilet is actually shown in the guidelines for new construction and remodels; our contractor showed me several designs when we made the bathroom in my master suite at home ADA compliant. You can even get special one piece L-shaped grab bars to go smoothly around the corner, but like most folks, I opted for two grab bars, one on each wall - it was much less expensive than that fancy L-shaped bar!

They were right above the tank of the toilet on the wall. Nope the towel bars were in a different location. In fact when we were in the airport the grab bars were in the same location.

This picture below is from our September 2018 stay at POFQ in a roll-in shower room. That's actually the way it's supposed to be! :)

View attachment 406439

A grab bar behind the toilet is actually shown in the guidelines for new construction and remodels; our contractor showed me several designs when we made the bathroom in my master suite at home ADA compliant. You can even get special one piece L-shaped grab bars to go smoothly around the corner, but like most folks, I opted for two grab bars, one on each wall - it was much less expensive than that fancy L-shaped bar!
They were right above the tank of the toilet on the wall. Nope the towel bars were in a different location. In fact when we were in the airport the grab bars were in the same location.

That is so weird! How would anyone use the bar behind the toilet? It would throw off the user's balance, as they'd be having to reach back to use it, wouldn't they? Or would they sit on the toilet backwards? I don't get it - who came up with that brilliant placement?

Sideways, not backwards.

I'm sorry, but that makes no sense to me either - unless they squeeze in/ face the wall where the other bar is? I guess if you have a little bum everything would end up in the toilet, but otherwise? It just doesn't seem useful at all - and it's supposed to be part of new ADA regulations? I would think a standing bar mounted on the floor would be much more useful!

That is so weird! How would anyone use the bar behind the toilet? It would throw off the user's balance, as they'd be having to reach back to use it, wouldn't they? Or would they sit on the toilet backwards? I don't get it - who came up with that brilliant placement?
I'm sorry, but that makes no sense to me either - unless they squeeze in/ face the wall where the other bar is? I guess if you have a little bum everything would end up in the toilet, but otherwise? It just doesn't seem useful at all - and it's supposed to be part of new ADA regulations? I would think a standing bar mounted on the floor would be much more useful!

Is the bar for people who stand? I've known people who can stand up from a wheelchair and pee forward, more easily than they can stand, turn 360 and sit.

I think a standing bar on the floor would be in the way of people who need to transfer from a specific side.

Nope. Back to that wall. Facing the sink. Because there might be more transfer space available that way. Or transferring works better for their specific abilities.

I'm uncomfortable discussing bathroom behavior, so I will not be describing anything more clearly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter