Unaccompanied minors stranded

I'm pretty sure that Frontier will be okay with that, lol.

It does sound like they're looking for a payout, from not wanting vouchers right down to their attorney who claims he's a retired pilot who's somehow never heard of Florida weather changing on a dime. Planes take off all the time expecting decent weather to land, and then have bad weather pop up unexpectedly, especially in someplace like Florida in the summer.

I will say, though, that if the airline actually allowed an employee to use a personal car to drive the kids, and had an enployee in the hotel room, then that's incredibly stupid on their part, even if mom gave consent.

Well, what do you think they should have done? People would be screaming for heads to roll if they had left those kids in the airport all night.

On our last flight, we watched the flight before ours get cancelled due to mechanical failure. It was late at night and the passengers were being put up in a hotel for the night by American Airlines. One passenger was an unaccompanied minor. He called his mom And handed the phone to the gate agent who told her she had to come get her son because the hotel would not allow an unaccompanied minor to check in to the room by himself without an adult and the airline would not place an employee with the minor. Mom could be heard screaming at the employee through he phone...not happy to have to come get he kid. I totally understand the airline and the hotel not wanting to take on the risk associated with accepting responsibility for the kid (he was 14 or 15).

Just want to clarify if he was 14/15 he wasn’t an unaccompanied minor and the airline has no responsibility for him. “Unaccompanied minors” usually go through 11 or 12, pay a special high fee, and under the terms the airline does have responsibility for supervising them.

Just want to clarify if he was 14/15 he wasn’t an unaccompanied minor and the airline has no responsibility for him. “Unaccompanied minors” usually go through 11 or 12, pay a special high fee, and under the terms the airline does have responsibility for supervising them.
Many airlines will (or at least used to) allow parents to choose for older kids---either just let them fly normally, but then the airline is no more responsible for them than they would be for an adult, or you can still pay the fee for the airline to essentially "babysit" them.
I would assume the fee was not paid for the 15 year old if the airline was not arranging for someone to be with him.

Mine flew often without us, and with no airline babysitting from as soon as it was possible. We always made sure they had cell phones, chargers and money and knew that worst case scenario (stuck overnight, no hotel will let them stay even if we call/fax and give permission and a credit card to hold for damages), no one I know lives locally to come fetch them, etc. . . the kids could manage staying at the airport overnight if they had to (we spoke with them about it)

Luckily it never came to that. The biggest issue possible issue was when my oldest was returning home from the Girl Scout Convention in Salt Lake City. The flights were on Lufthansa, which ended up being on strike. My kid got the airport---told the gate agents to keep them on their first leg (operated by United into Denver) as they had family they could stay with in Denver and then for a flight home, that could be done whenever---on rush with the strikes. Meanwhile, same kid sent a mass email to all the relatives in Colorado letting them know they'd be landing at such and such a time and there at least one night.

by the time I even heard about it my kid was on a bus to my in-laws' house. Ended up with a 5 day visit with family--couldn't have gone better (we did intentionally book the connection through a city where there was family, just in case or weather or other issues, knowing that upped the odds of having a place to stay if there were (but, that flights can be diverted). Having not paid for any sort of caretaking for my teen, I did not nor did I expect to, hear anything from the airline directly.

Sure, the airline should have been in touch with the parents, and I would have wanted more contact than it sounds like they got. However, it sounds like the kids were cared for, which is the most important thing. In the 2nd article posted makes it sound like Frontier talked to mom in the evening and dad in the morning, and whoever was with the kids probably knew the kids were in touch with mom and dad using the other child's cell phone. Since they only allow minors on direct flights, this isn't a scenario Frontier encounters every day, and it sounds like they made the arrangements on the fly.

I heard about this story on the Today show this morning. According to the father, the airline never made contact with the parents and they only knew about the situation from the 9 year old who borrowed a phone to text his dad. The only food given to the kids was rice krispie treats and water. And they put the kids in a room with another unaccompanied minor who was a teenager. Not sure how true these things are, and not sure what the right remedy is, but I wouldn't be super comfortable with my kids in a hotel room with a stranger kid that's significantly older.

Regardless, I guess the risk of a flight delay like this is the chance you take when allowing your kids to fly as unaccompanied minors. Not sure what a better solution would be.

I heard about this story on the Today show this morning. According to the father, the airline never made contact with the parents and they only knew about the situation from the 9 year old who borrowed a phone to text his dad. The only food given to the kids was rice krispie treats and water. And they put the kids in a room with another unaccompanied minor who was a teenager. Not sure how true these things are, and not sure what the right remedy is, but I wouldn't be super comfortable with my kids in a hotel room with a stranger kid that's significantly older.

Regardless, I guess the risk of a flight delay like this is the chance you take when allowing your kids to fly as unaccompanied minors. Not sure what a better solution would be.

The father is getting second hand information from 7 and 9 year olds. A child saying "We got Rice Krispie treats!" turns into "They ONLY got Rice Krispie treats". I don't believe they were only fed a snack.

I'm pretty sure that Frontier will be okay with that, lol.

It does sound like they're looking for a payout, from not wanting vouchers right down to their attorney who claims he's a retired pilot who's somehow never heard of Florida weather changing on a dime. Planes take off all the time expecting decent weather to land, and then have bad weather pop up unexpectedly, especially in someplace like Florida in the summer.

I will say, though, that if the airline actually allowed an employee to use a personal car to drive the kids, and had an enployee in the hotel room, then that's incredibly stupid on their part, even if mom gave consent.
The personal car being use I understand, but given that the children can't get a hotel room without an adult what was Frontier supposed to do, leave the kids unsupervised? Have them stay in the Atlanta Airport until they could continue on their way? The airline did a pretty good job given that they were diverted from the original flight path due to weather. I have a 9 year old. She has flown many times (with me) IF I EVER sent her as an unaccompanied minor, she would have a phone to contact me and some pocket money for food.

On our last flight, we watched the flight before ours get cancelled due to mechanical failure. It was late at night and the passengers were being put up in a hotel for the night by American Airlines. One passenger was an unaccompanied minor. He called his mom And handed the phone to the gate agent who told her she had to come get her son because the hotel would not allow an unaccompanied minor to check in to the room by himself without an adult and the airline would not place an employee with the minor. Mom could be heard screaming at the employee through he phone...not happy to have to come get he kid. I totally understand the airline and the hotel not wanting to take on the risk associated with accepting responsibility for the kid (he was 14 or 15).

Did this happen at the teen's home airport? If it was, I can see them expecting the parent to come get the child. They typically don't offer a hotel room if it happens at the passenger's home airport.

The parents first mistake was buying tickets on Frontier. Their second mistake was putting their kids on Frontier. Who does that?

The flight was non-stop Iowa to Orlando, which you figure would be OK. Have an adult on each end. They got diverted to Atlanta due to weather in Orlando. Why is that Frontier's fault? Could have happened with any airline. That's a sticky situation with kids, what do they do with them overnight? From the report I heard, it sounded like the mother was informed.

I only read the article so I haven't seen other versions of the story, but it sounds like reasonable care was provided. Additional communication from the airline should have been provided, but do we know for sure that attempts weren't made?

This situation was one that we pondered when our 11yo daughter flew from Nashville, TN to Spokane, WA and back from Spokane, WA to Memphis, TN this summer. We are use to airlines needing to be diverted, delays, and cancellations. So to avoid it we sucked up the extra cost and I flew her out, and her bffs mom flew back with her. It was a good thing we did because their return trip was delayed multiple times.

The father is getting second hand information from 7 and 9 year olds. A child saying "We got Rice Krispie treats!" turns into "They ONLY got Rice Krispie treats". I don't believe they were only fed a snack.

Entirely possible. What is the airline saying they fed the kids? I'd think the father would be certain of the facts before he comes out in the media with the accusations the way he did today, but anything is possible.

Will airlines provide 18+ adults with meals and hotel rooms when delayed due to weather? I know they provide vouchers due to delays for reasons like staffing and mechanical, but do they compensate for weather typically? Honest question, I don't know the answer. I realize the airline is assuming the responsibility when taking on unaccompanied minors, but maybe it would be in some airlines' best interest to not allow it at all.

What is the normal policy for unaccompanied minors in situations like this?

I'm not sure about other airlines but I know that is the policy on Delta. https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/special-travel-needs/children.html

Under very rare circumstances, an overnight may be required (e.g. a major snowstorm). In these situations, we will provide overnight and meal accommodations for your child. And a Delta employee(s) will provide supervision to ensure your child's safety during an overnight stay. You will be contacted with pertinent information if this unusual circumstance occurs.

The personal car being use I understand, but given that the children can't get a hotel room without an adult what was Frontier supposed to do, leave the kids unsupervised? Have them stay in the Atlanta Airport until they could continue on their way? The airline did a pretty good job given that they were diverted from the original flight path due to weather. I have a 9 year old. She has flown many times (with me) IF I EVER sent her as an unaccompanied minor, she would have a phone to contact me and some pocket money for food.
I’m sure CarolAnn856 only meant that some smarmy lawyer would have a field day with it. There was very little Frontier could do in this situation. They handled it better than I would have guessed actually.

I'm not sure about other airlines but I know that is the policy on Delta. https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/special-travel-needs/children.html

Thank you. So it appears that Frontier didn't do anything out of the ordinary by having an employee stay with them.
I bet that the kids had some horrible food they barely ate because they are kids, but ate all their rice krispy treat. Told dad about that because, well they are 7 and 9.
I can't see where Frontier did anything wrong here. If anything the parents should have done some things differently, not the airline.

Did the parents contact the airline prior to the flights and ask about any and all policies/procedures related to unaccompanied minors? It's easy for them to sit back and say, "Well they should have done this or that." But did they take the time to inform themselves before the flights? I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the parents of young kids to ask a lot of questions before putting their kids on a flight. What happens if the flight is diverted? How would my kids be cared for and by whom? If they don't like the answers, don't put the kids on the flight. Either fly with them, or hire someone to fly with them. When something goes wrong, people are always looking to place blame. If the parents had been informed of the policies and the airline did not follow them, it would be a different story. "The airline said if my kids were diverted, they would do X, Y and Z. But they didn't." That's different than complaining about what you think they should have done.

I will also add that, as someone who works with kids, I would not agree to drive the kids in my personal car or stay in a hotel room with them. That's too much liability for an employee to assume. The dad is already complaining that the younger child did not have a booster seat in the car.

Agree- no way would I take on the responsibility of transporting and supervising children over night that I didn't know.

To those questioning my comments, do you really not think there were other possibilities?

Re. transportation to the hotel, the airline should have utilized some kind of transportation designed for passenger transport, such as a hotel shuttle or taxi. Both the airline as well as the employee who drove was taking a huge liability risk.

Re. the hotel, there should have been at least two adults present, to both protect the children as well as protect the adults from any kind of false accusations. Also, unrelated children should not have been sleeping in the same bed, as reported by the father (assuming he's truthful about that).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter