• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Unclaimed Baggage Center

griswalds

Mouseketeer
For those of you that have been to the Unclaimed Baggage Center in AL, did you find it was worth the trip? Any good bargains? I live northeast of Atlanta so it would be a 3+ hour trip and I'm not really looking for anything just kinda intrigued by the idea of it.

I hate to be a negative reply but we have stopped about three times and was disappointed each time. They have a lot of stuff but the prices are too high to me. The only thing we have purchased are some kid books for our daughter while we were traveling to have something different. The electronic things have been all older things we we have been there and still too expensive to me. We are about 2 hours away from it and would not make the trip just to go there. Just my opinion! Sorry:(

We stopped there once many years ago when we were traveling. My DH and I thought it was great fun to look around even though we did I not buy anything. At the time we we there, they had one or two rooms with stuff under glass like a museum. I remember a very old violin and a puppet from the movie Labyrinth.

If I was ever in the area again I would stop just for fun, but noticeably looking for bargains.

I've been there once. I didn't see any great bargains, but then again - one man's trash is another man's treasure. ;-) You might love it, but don't expect super low prices.

Have been a few times when in the area, found a few bargains, but nothing worth a 3 hour trip. The "bargains" seem a bit rare - their folks who do pricing for the items do seem to be aware of what things are worth. Some things were priced in a range we would call "overpriced". We do enjoy it, but only if we are nearby or "on the way" by anyway.

I went many years ago and thought it was a gold mine! Wish there was one on the west coast. Don't know that I would drive 3 hours each way just for that but if you are on your way to Chattanooga or Nashville, I'd certainly make the detour.

I've been once or twice. If you are passing through the area, it's worth a stop in, but I certainly would not drive that far JUST to go there. It seemed overpriced to me - and a lot of the things they put out, I would have thrown away - especially in the "toiletry" section.

For those of you that have been to the Unclaimed Baggage Center in AL, did you find it was worth the trip? Any good bargains? I live northeast of Atlanta so it would be a 3+ hour trip and I'm not really looking for anything just kinda intrigued by the idea of it.

I have bought a few things (like cd's, shirts, jeans), but I know others who have racked up on terrific goodies (like high-quality luggage, ipods, skis, boogie boards, wedding dress, a fancy camera kit - lenses and case and all). But on most days, it's like a big flea market. Could be a misdirected shipment of retail items, could be the odds and ends of Aunt Tilly's visit to the shore. You just never know. :confused3

I would say it's not worth being THE destination from that far away, but worthy of stopping in if you're on the way somewhere else... like the Rocket City! :scratchin There is a nice spot about another 20min West of Scottsboro, check out Cathedral Caverns. And then you're just another 30min from Huntsville. Just sayin'. ;) :goodvibes

We stopped there on last year on our way to Chattanooga - it was right on our way after we left from visiting my in-laws. I wouldn't go out of my way, but it was a fun place to kill an hour or two. I was disappointed in that there were so many clothes - I am not a thrift-store shopper and I hate pawing through racks of clothes to find my style and size so most of the store held no appeal for me. I was more interested in novelty items, I suppose. We did buy a used DS game for one of our kids who wanted something new to play. We also came across a new-in-box salt-water filter kit for our above-ground pool. New at Target they're at least $200 or so, and we got it there for $75. That made the stop worth it to us. I had hoped to spot some Disney collectibles but no such luck.

Thanks for all the replies, I knew I could count on Disers for the truth. I'll cross it off my list now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter