• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Underage Drinking

Weed and alcohol both have pretty equal cons. Weed is way more addictive than alcohol and is almost never used for medical reasons.

I don't drink because I'm not yet 21, and drinking under that age is breaking the law. Also, I can't seem to find any positives for drinking. Alcohol affects the brain every time you drink and does kill brain cells. And brain cells can't grow back, so I think I'll pass. I've seen friends get drunk and wasted and really it's a scary experience that no one really wants to go through. Beer smells too so that's a huge turnoff. And I like being in the right state of mind.

I'm 14. there are some kids around here that get drunk but their mostly into drugs.I am glad that I can honestly say I have never been under the influence of anything harmful to my body such as drugs or alchohal (sp). We usually have drug dogs go through the school once a year to check lockers.One day I was on the bus and this boy had a bag of pot.I went to the office and just for the record I'm not a snitch...I told our principal about it and she search him and said he didn't have anything on him.So when we got on the bus that afternoon he was explaining to his "buddies" how he hid it and how he was so cool and everything. But I have no desire to do anything of that matter. I think drinking is wrong and so is drugs. I will never put anything of that matter into my system.In my opinion they should ban alcholhal... but thats just me.

Prohibition creates a lot more problems. You can see it today with weed sales. During prohibition people were drinking ANYTHING with alcohol in it, like cough medicine, rubbing alcohol, cleaning products, etc. There was one particular product called Jake. It was a solvent type product and very toxic. People were drinking this. For fun. At one point a bad batch of this stuff went out and a lot of people became very very sick, died, or lived the rest of their life almost completely immoble. It was called Jake-Leg. It started with a tingling in your legs and spread over your body the more you drank. There was (is) no cure. Drinking toxins is very dangerous and when alcohol is illegal and unregulated these things become common place.

Prohibition creates a lot more problems. You can see it today with weed sales. During prohibition people were drinking ANYTHING with alcohol in it, like cough medicine, rubbing alcohol, cleaning products, etc. There was one particular product called Jake. It was a solvent type product and very toxic. People were drinking this. For fun. At one point a bad batch of this stuff went out and a lot of people became very very sick, died, or lived the rest of their life almost completely immoble. It was called Jake-Leg. It started with a tingling in your legs and spread over your body the more you drank. There was (is) no cure. Drinking toxins is very dangerous and when alcohol is illegal and unregulated these things become common place.

I really can't agree with that. Prohibition stops a lot more people from drinking than it forces people to go nuts and drink whatever they can. The issues you're talking about are about the people who are so desperate to get alcohol, and prohibition is not causing them to act so.

I really can't agree with that. Prohibition stops a lot more people from drinking than it forces people to go nuts and drink whatever they can. The issues you're talking about are about the people who are so desperate to get alcohol, and prohibition is not causing them to act so.

Prohibition puts a lot of people who aren't using alcohol badly in a position where they are breaking the law. For every alcoholic there are hundreds of people who aren't, even thousands and thousands of people who aren't alcoholics.

People get addicted to the internet too, should we shut that off too?

Its wrong to use the argument "people are addicted to it, lets get rid of it" because for every addict, there are millions who aren't addicted and use the substence properly.

Prohibition puts a lot of people who aren't using alcohol badly in a position where they are breaking the law. For every alcoholic there are hundreds of people who aren't, even thousands and thousands of people who aren't alcoholics.

People get addicted to the internet too, should we shut that off too?

Its wrong to use the argument "people are addicted to it, lets get rid of it" because for every addict, there are millions who aren't addicted and use the substence properly.

Prohibition isn't what forces people to break the law.

I'm not saying that we should ban alcohol, I'm saying that prohibition doesn't make things worse - the people who react badly to it do.

okay I'm going to be obnoxious for two seconds and just put my opinion into a quote "live it up and drink it down".

bash me. do it.

Anyways, I'm totally terrified of puke & the act of puking, so the idea of me getting drunk or being surrounded by drunk people sounds HORRIBLE. I'd run away crying. I think if I did go to parties, I would only have a drink or two.

I'm the exact same way. I'm terrified of getting drunk or seeing people drunk. St. Patty's in NYC was the WORST.

But honestly, I think the drinking age should be lowered to 18. People are still gonna drink though.

I'm going to be a junior and I drink ALOT when I go to a party ha. But I'm a partier. It's in my blood.

No, prohibition makes people want to rebel...just saying.

Prohibition isn't what forces people to break the law.

I'm not saying that we should ban alcohol, I'm saying that prohibition doesn't make things worse - the people who react badly to it do.

Actually back in the prohibition era they had Speakeasies. A Speakeasy is an establishment that illegally sells alcoholic beverages. If you were caught in a speakeasy you were most likely arrested. Many gangsters sold liquor to speakeasies but the most famous in my opinion was Al Capone who also made his fortune from selling liquor to speakeasies across the country yet he would be arrested and jailed for tax evasion. So yes prohibition was and most likely will always force people to break the law.
I dont mean to come off rude but i am a huge history lover and love the prohibition era. :p

Actually back in the prohibition era they had Speakeasies. A Speakeasy is an establishment that illegally sells alcoholic beverages. If you were caught in a speakeasy you were most likely arrested. Many gangsters sold liquor to speakeasies but the most famous in my opinion was Al Capone who also made his fortune from selling liquor to speakeasies across the country yet he would be arrested and jailed for tax evasion. So yes prohibition was and most likely will always force people to break the law.
I dont mean to come off rude but i am a huge history lover and love the prohibition era. :p

Seriously, I don't think anyone gets what I'm trying to say. Prohibition in and of itself is not what forces people to break the law. They break the law on their own because they choose to. Prohibition makes it harder for them to get what they want, but it does not make anyone break the law. If it was an automatic response to break the law when alcohol is prohibited, would that make any sense?

Prohibition does not cause people to break the law, but it gives them a reason to. It inspires them, if you will. People will always rebel, and if something so popular as alcohol is banned, more and more people will rebel.

I definitely do not think banning alcohol will be any help to underage drinking/alcoholics. It will cause more problems than good, like what Shelby was saying.

No doubt that Capone is arguably the most famous of the era, but perhaps the most powerful was William Dwyer (aka: "Big Bill" and "King of the Rumrunners") who controlled the flow of illegal booze on nearly the entire East Coast. ;) (just a fellow prohibition buff checking in)

Seriously, I don't think anyone gets what I'm trying to say. Prohibition in and of itself is not what forces people to break the law. They break the law on their own because they choose to. Prohibition makes it harder for them to get what they want, but it does not make anyone break the law. If it was an automatic response to break the law when alcohol is prohibited, would that make any sense?

HAHAHAHA. Hold on, I'm still laughing here. Prohibition really didn't make it that hard to get alcohol. Arguably, it didn't get harder at all. People just started making it at home. I get what you're saying: that it's people who choose to break the law, but in a way Prohibition does make them break that law because it takes away a fundamental part of many people's lifestyles. Like Shelby pointed out, for every addict there are a million people who use a substance correctly and who are adversely affected by a law made to keep the addicts at bay.

And really, it might not work now, but alcohol was hardly "illegal" during Prohibition. Yeah, it was against the law, but that didn't stop hardly anybody. Bill Dwyer (mentioned above) paid Coast Guardsmen about 8 times their salary to look the other way when ships with illegal alcohol were coming in to port. Owney Madden and Bill Dwyer opened up a brewery (A BREWERY) in NYC at the corner of 26th Street and 10th Avenue in 1924. They obtained a patent to produce what was called "near beer", which was a drink with minimal alcoholic content and was legal under the Volstead Act. Needless to say, that isn't what they were producing. But nobody did anything about it. Because they paid the cops and prohibition agents who were in charge of that area. And those cops and agents looked the other way easily because they too wanted a good drink.

Alcohol is a part of people's lives. Many people. There is no simple way to stop people from consuming it. There are those, like you and I, that choose not to drink and we're in the minority. In the (misquoted) words of Voltaire: "I may not agree with what you do, but I'll fight to my last breath for your right to do it".

I don't really have a problem with drinking, per se. What I have a problem with is underage drinking.

Yah, I mean, if you're 21 or over, and you drink responsibly, who cares? Almost every adult I know drinks, as long as they're not injuring someone while drunk or underage, fine.

I don't get the people against alcohol use altogether. It's just the obnoxious religious "family" parents who think everything has a subliminal message.

I find it stupid that people here drink. I mean, really? What is the point?
"Amg yall, I got sooooo wasted last night."
Wow, you're cool. :rolleyes:

I grew up in a very small town. There was nothing to do. Nothing. There was one theatre but it was owned by a christian family and that grately influenced their choices in what films to show. They had 6 screens and usually 5+ were G or PG rated and mostly involved talking animals. Our mall had about five stores. We had the usual fast food fare and a few local places, but other than that our only "nice" restaurant was Applebees and it was always mobbed.

I remember being in 7th grade and kids were drinking. In 8th grade one boy got pulled out of class for having alcohol on his person at school. It was quite the scandal. Kids were having sex then too.

In high school you can multiply those instances exponentially. I knew kids drank in middle school but I don't think they were doing any drugs except pot maybe. In high school there were drugs.

It really felt like everyone drank. Like the nerdy clique did, the popular kids especially did, everyone did.

I have never in my life drank or done drugs. And fwiw, I don't believe in peer pressure either. You know what you're doing, and you're still doing it. I've been offered alcohol/drugs on more than one occasion and I said no. I didn't get made fun of. They just said okay and kept doing whatever they were doing. Its not that hard.

I don't either. People think I'm wrong to think that way but it's just as easy to say no as it is to say yes.

My dad would give us sips of beer and wine when we were little. I don't drink, maybe a few sips at a family event or something like that but I've never been drunk, never done drugs, smoked. I do not understand the appeal of drinking to get drunk. How is having a hangover and puking the next morning fun?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter