Understanding Use Year - Updated March 10, 2019

thelionqueen

DIS Veteran
Why do you think August is best?

I would agree that Dec is best if you never plan to travel in late November for a Dec trip.
Thank you! I left out the fact that I don’t like December use years for personal reasons. I was thinking October as well but switched to August based on it being 6 months before both. My reasoning...which I’m now thinking is flawed.. is that my banking window is end of March. Therefore, if I did have to cancel, I’d have previous year points to bank. I would never ever go in the summer months. Maybe October but that would be a stretch. I’m usually savvy about most things but trying to figure out December use years (don’t ask... no idea why it’s rough) and banking windows based on travel, trip me up something awful... which is why I posted here lol. Now, I really feel this won’t matter at all since my vacation patterns have been 99.99% cancel free over the last 30+ years.. but just in case. Thanks again for your help and patience :)

CarolMN

DVC Co-Moderator
Don't get December if you ever think you might want to start your vacation during the last few nights of November. When Thanksgiving is early, that's a very good possibility for those of us who love the early December vacations.

December is also a poor choice if you will ever need to walk a reservation. You can't successfully walk over use years. Again, a real possibility for some booking categories, especially those for studios.

That extra month's "insurance" isn't worth the potential booking hassles.

For your stated travel times, August is fine, as is October & even June. IMO, any use year that allows you to bank if you cancel at least 31 days in advance would work. Just go for the best deal with one of those use years.

thelionqueen

DIS Veteran
Don't get December if you ever think you might want to start your vacation during the last few nights of November. When Thanksgiving is early, that's a very good possibility for those of us who love the early December vacations.

December is also a poor choice if you will ever need to walk a reservation. You can't successfully walk over use years. Again, a real possibility for some booking categories, especially those for studios.

That extra month's "insurance" isn't worth the potential booking hassles.

For your stated travel times, August is fine, as is October & even June. IMO, any use year that allows you to bank if you cancel at least 31 days in advance would work. Just go for the best deal with one of those use years.
Thank you for explaining this so perfectly for my confused brain. I finally think I know what I'm doing lol :)

justadreamaway77

Earning My Ears
Thank you! This really helped clear up my understanding of UY! I was second guessing our UY but now see it is perfect for us....at least until I retire and am not forced to only vacation when school is out!

Sandisw

Thank you! This really helped clear up my understanding of UY! I was second guessing our UY but now see it is perfect for us....at least until I retire and am not forced to only vacation when school is out!
Yeah! I just retired from teaching and it was so nice planning trips anytime and taking advantage of cheaper airfare!

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates

Subscribe to the DVCstore.com
mailing list!

BUY DVC

SELL DVC

DVC POINT CHARTS

DIS PODCASTS