• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Unfortunately, worst vacation we ever had

I think everyone needs to do their own research for sure. Not saying that those annoyances are not valid annoyances either. I’ve been watching so many vlogs and reading cruise reports. A lot of different experiences tell me to enjoy what I can and have more patience. I don’t think anything is going back to pre-Covid times. That applies to restaurants, hotels etc. Everyone is short-staffed.

I do wish Cabanas dinner would return. We’ve cruised on DCL enough to not need the dining room every night and we preferred to be able to go to Cabanas on your own time.

Now your only other options are Pizza, Deck Grill or Room Service….

On the other hand, we’ll be on Regal Princess in a few weeks, which last time we sailed her (granted, it was 2019) had one of the better buffets we’ve had. Although without kids, if we were going specifically for excellent dining, we’d be on Virgin Voyages…

Yeah, if anything, we were asked way TOO often. :/
I don’t mind them asking if the food and service is OK. It’s the repeated full-court presses for the “Excellent” reviews that turn me off.

Now, I send an email to Guest Services before my cruise asking that our server not mention the survey or ask about the “Excellents”. To their credit, I think they do log those requests because we don’t get the survey spiels anymore.

On our last cruise, we had the worst head server we have ever had. I actually dreaded the visit. He came three times in seven night, once to ask about service, once to tell us about the clock change, and of course the third was the longest when he explained the importance of the excellent review. I'm always reluctant to put anything other than "excellent," since I know how important it is to them. Lately, however, it has been just plain awful in the MDRs. As others have said, there are currently no real options, so we're stuck dealing with it (and paying through the nose for it).

This is one time where the lack of choices really hurts DCL. There usually isn't a buffet or other casual restaurant for a real dinner, only fast food and room service, so if the main dining rooms aren't for you then it hurts your cruise experience.
I think we will have the answer soon. My sense is it isn't hurting the cruise experience for the majority of cruisers. We always ate in the MDR but from the sounds of people who did use it, it usually wasn't full and I suspect not enough people were using the dinner buffet to make it worth their while. If it doesn't change soon, I think that may be why because they have had plenty of time to staff up in the 2 years since cruising resumed.
'

I believe one of the problems is Disney cannot get many good experienced servers back since covid.
While on the Wish we would ask our servers if they knew so and so and most times the ones we asked about had not come back. The good experienced servers I believe had had enough and the time off from covid made them decide they didn't need to be back on a cruise ship. I think they found they enjoyed being home more, just like a lot of people.
There seemed to be a lot of new people even on the Wish. And new people take a lot of time to get broken in.
But you would think by now they should know what they are doing.

Wow we had the complete opposite on the Dream that we got off of on May 4th. Dinner service seemed super fast to me, except for one night. Our wait staff was super friendly and attentive. I have a nut allergy and the head server was super concerned about me always! The speech each night about the excellent service got annoying but I just ignored it! LOL

Just off the Fantasy this past Saturday and brought home Covid. Didn't see that one coming. Oh well at least it hit the last night of the cruise, with the worst of it the day after we got home. I'm vaxxed and had Covid last August. :thumbsup2

So it could've been the worst vacation ever but just squeaked by thankfully.

Just off the Fantasy this past Saturday and brought home Covid. Didn't see that one coming. Oh well at least it hit the last night of the cruise, with the worst of it the day after we got home. I'm vaxxed and had Covid last August. :thumbsup2

Sorry to hear about that but hoping you’ll feel better soon! I’m still wearing masks in crowded places and will do that on my cruise.

Sorry to hear about that but hoping you’ll feel better soon! I’m still wearing masks in crowded places and will do that on my cruise.
yup and definitely during the shows. There was a 3 yr old coughing on us during Aladdin, wish I had chosen different seats. :rotfl:

Was this the first time the Dream had done a 7-night? I looked at DCL blog and there are no 7-night navigators for the Dream. Wonder if that threw off the kitchen both in timing and quality as they maybe weren't used to preparing some of the menus.

Another possibility is that anecdotally, seems like a lot of people are reporting getting Covid on cruises again. If the crew is short staffed because of sick crew members getting quarantined, that can slow down dinner service (both back of house kitchen and front of house waitstaff if they are picking up extra tables for ill crewmates).

Either way, I'd hesitate to call it a trend of Disney offering less/making cuts. Our cruise a month ago on the Fantasy had perfect and timely service in the MDRs, with good food. Sounds more like bad luck/timing.

Was this the first time the Dream had done a 7-night? I looked at DCL blog and there are no 7-night navigators for the Dream. Wonder if that threw off the kitchen both in timing and quality as they maybe weren't used to preparing some of the menus.

Another possibility is that anecdotally, seems like a lot of people are reporting getting Covid on cruises again. If the crew is short staffed because of sick crew members getting quarantined, that can slow down dinner service (both back of house kitchen and front of house waitstaff if they are picking up extra tables for ill crewmates).

Either way, I'd hesitate to call it a trend of Disney offering less/making cuts. Our cruise a month ago on the Fantasy had perfect and timely service in the MDRs, with good food. Sounds more like bad luck/timing.
I strongly suspect it has to do with a combination of DCL still getting back to full capacity (let's be honest, even though it's been months since covid protocols were removed, they're likely still trying to get back on track), lack of full staff, and the aforementioned D+ promotion. Understaffed & full capacity can only lead to lower quality experience.

I was on the OP's cruise as well. Food for me was ok but it does seem like it went from good on the first couple night to progressively worse by the end (not absolutely terrible but not that good either). Dinner took us about an hour & a half on average. However, If we reqested a faster service, we got it (did this on Beauty & Beast Night). I will say that our servers didn't really upsell us anything, which is kind of both nice because it takes away any pressure. But my gf had to ask for the light up cup from pirate night, so that's almost a negative.

As for nothing to do in port, I suppose it does all depend on how you cruise. My party took the Treasure Island excursion and had a great time (though getting two servings of complementary rum punch may be clouding my memory a bit😅). But I guess if someone's not an excursion person or can't find excursions they're interested in, I can understand why they would find it lacking (though I find myself in a similar yet different predicament as I have a November cruise with a stop in Falmouth, Jamaica).

I personally still had a decent enough time I'm willing to give DCL at least another chance. But OP's opinion on some of the things lacking on the cruise is something I can get behind too.

*Sidenote: we had a verandah and rainforest room passes for the entire cruise, so the up charges may have helped mitigate some of these issues...

Last edited:
I believe one of the problems is Disney cannot get many good experienced servers back since covid.
While on the Wish we would ask our servers if they knew so and so and most times the ones we asked about had not come back. The good experienced servers I believe had had enough and the time off from covid made them decide they didn't need to be back on a cruise ship. I think they found they enjoyed being home more, just like a lot of people.
There seemed to be a lot of new people even on the Wish. And new people take a lot of time to get broken in.
But you would think by now they should know what they are doing.
This I actually talk to a few who left, also talk to a few who are going back at least on bartender is going back to Magic soon he says

I got off the Wish April 28th and brought Covid home, though I knew there was a chance

We actually went on the Carnival Mardi Gras in February after cruising Disney 4x, I figured I would hate it and honestly, we loved it. We dined at different restaurants, the service was fantastic, the kids loved the teen club and activities and said they'd go back on the MG in a heartbeat. For a fraction of the price, I am inclined to try out new options.

We actually went on the Carnival Mardi Gras in February after cruising Disney 4x, I figured I would hate it and honestly, we loved it. We dined at different restaurants, the service was fantastic, the kids loved the teen club and activities and said they'd go back on the MG in a heartbeat. For a fraction of the price, I am inclined to try out new options.
We loved the Mardi Gras too!

I think everyone needs to do their own research for sure. Not saying that those annoyances are not valid annoyances either. I’ve been watching so many vlogs and reading cruise reports. A lot of different experiences tell me to enjoy what I can and have more patience. I don’t think anything is going back to pre-Covid times. That applies to restaurants, hotels etc. Everyone is short-staffed.

Sometimes Vlogs give a misconception of what is good and what isn't as its based on personal opinions and clicks. That is why I avoid them all for the most part and just go and try things myself.

I got off the Wish April 28th and brought Covid home, though I knew there was a chance
funny but it wasn't even on my radar. When I said to my husband what if we have Covid? He thought I was being a drama queen. :rotfl: I'm feeling well now although I still tested positive this morning. I haven't left my house since getting home Saturday night. Supplies are running out. I may need to look into Instacart. :thumbsup2

and in my boredom I booked a four night stay for our anniversary in July. hehehe

This is good to hear! Carnival gets pretty beaten down for cheap booze cruise party time, but I don’t know if it’s a historical rep vs. actually how it is now. We went on Carnival 20+ years ago and haven’t been back, but maybe we will look into their new ships.

This is good to hear! Carnival gets pretty beaten down for cheap booze cruise party time, but I don’t know if it’s a historical rep vs. actually how it is now. We went on Carnival 20+ years ago and haven’t been back, but maybe we will look into their new ships.
I’ve heard their new ships are quite an improvement - they’re really making an effort to shift their public perception.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter