Unhappy Dr visit

Sonya

Kaki Gori veteran
I went in yesterday for my glucose test to see if I have gestational diabetes and fail the test.:( It was supposed to be under 140 and mine was 144. I've always had low blood sugar so this was a big surprise. Now I have to do a 3 hour test on Thursday. I'm hoping I pass this one! I've been eating to many carbs and too few proteins and I hope that's the reason. (Bad Sonya!)

I also found out I have low iron. Now I have to take supplements! They make me very ill. In fact I've never been able to take vitamins before except the childrens kind b/c the iron in them makes me sick. Anyone have a brand name that makes you the least sick?

I've also gained 10 pounds in one month! It's only a total of 16 so far this pregnancy but 10 in one moth is too much IMO.

To add insult to injury I wrote down the wrong date and had missed my appt. It was last Friday not yesterday. :rolleyes: Pregnacy Insanity Moment!

At least Thor's heartbeat was strong!

Well...if it's any consolation just think of it this way - your baby is getting your brains and that's the reason for the "memory loss"!!! :D:D:D:D It happened to me and I think she even kept the portions of my brain cause my memory hasn't been the same since! LOL

Kidding aside - I hope things go well with you for this test.

Hopefully your 3 hour test will be ok.

As far as the iron goes I can sympathize because I dealt with that all through my pregnancy. I stuck with the prescription vitamins recommended by my doctor and just struggled through. :(

10lbs during one of the 2nd trimester months really isn't horrible because that is a time of huge growth for the baby. Just concentrate on eating healthy and try not to stress out too much about the weight.

I barely failed the 1 hour test, too...but passed the 3 hour with flying colors. Ask them if there is anything you can do before hand. My dr.'s office told me to carbo load the day before (might have been for a few days, can't remember now). She faxed over a sample of what I should eat. I remember laughing because if that was carbo loading I was already doing it! LOL! I followed the sheet and ended up passing my test with flying colors.

Good luck!

My friend who is an OB-GYN calls loss of memory during pregnancy "placenta brain." She said that alot of women experience this and her sister has it for the third time now. :)

I hope that everything works out with your next test.

I have no advice for vitamins, as I've never had any problems taking any of them.

Just keep thinking good thoughts and start snacking on chicken legs and spinach instead of potato chips and ice cream. ;)

Good luck taking the test. I had to have the test twice too. Take a book or a game to play-those 3 hours will fly by then.:)

16 pounds isn't too much at this point.:)

I remember the forgetfulness of pregnancy. I used to lock myself out of my car and my house a lot when I was pregnant because I forgot to check for my keys.:o

But ice cream is what I want!;)

mtemm, it's good to hear a success story. My Dr told me to load carbs too, and she said I could eat 3 candy bars a day to prepare! And more toast too if I want! Yea!

I miserably failed my first test but I guess eating a pumpkin pie before taking it didn't help - I passed the second test without any problems - good luck!

There is an iron pill that has herbs in it. I got mine at the health food store...made all the difference and I wasnt sick.

Sonya- I used to have memory lapses all the time during my pregnancies- I remember doing an entire weeks grocery shopping, getting to the checkout counter, and realizing I didn't have my purse with me:rolleyes: I hope all your tests go smoothly-take care!!!:D

Sonya please dont worry, I have known many people who were high on the 1 hour and fine on the 3 hr (including myself). My first 3 pg's 1 hour test was fine. On my 4th pg the 1 hour test was high. When I went back for the 3 hour it was just fine. Also if they give you a choice of glucose drinks take the orange, it is the easiest to get down. Actually tastes very close to a real orange drink.

Sonya~ I too had to take the 3 hour test with both children and passed, ( I wasnt drinking enough water oops) but just be prepared you will feel yucky, the stuff they give you to drink is horrible and be prepared to run out and eat everything in site, just be careful you dont eat too much and get sick. all will work out for you dont worry. If I can pass anyone can.;)

I'm sorry that you didn't have good results with the 1 hour test & hopefully everything will be fine with the 3 hour.

My perspective is a bit different, though, as I'm always diabetic. Much better to find out & keep the baby healthy! Since insulin is a growth hormone, if your sugar is too high it passes through the placenta. Then the baby will have to produce more insulin to get rid of it...that makes the baby get really big.

Deb

I didn't eat anything like candy bars the day before...I was really surprised that what they considered to be carbo loading was! LOL!

Be sure to bring something to eat for afterwards...I was so hungry I was sick to my stomach and very lightheaded afterwards. You might want to bring a bottle of water, too. Books, games, crossword puzzles.

Good luck!

Unfortunately, Sonya, all women deliver their brains along with the baby. The memory thing never comes back.........

What was I saying???? :p

I failed my glucose test, too, and had to go for the long one (mine was 4 hours though) and passed that one just fine! I also had to take the iron supplements. Good luck!

I failed the 1-hour test with both of my kids, but I passed the 3-hour test with each child. I also gained lots of weight in my 3rd & 4th months with both children, but I slowed down a lot in the later months. By the 20th week I was at like 18-20 pound gains with each, but I only ended up gaining a total of 27 pounds both times. Don't worry about your weight gain - you can't really control how your body reacts. As long as you're eating reasonably (and not going out for ice cream twice a day like my sister did - LOL!), that's all that matters. Some women carry bigger than others.

Sonya,
Well, I flunked BOTH my 1-hour and my 3-hour test. My results number was only 4 points above the recommended number, so even though my OB-GYN said it was the mildest case he had ever seen, he still had to list me and treat me as having full-blown gestational diabetes. The primary reason I had it was because I was over 35, not a weight issue. I was 107 lbs when I became pregnant and weighed 132 (25 pound weight gain) when I gave birth. I don't know your age, but age is considered one of the primary factors. The good news is that even if its the worst news (that you don't pass), it really isn't so bad, they just moniter you a little more closely and you need to limit sweets for a while which will help with the weight gain anyway. Good luck and keep us posted!

I hope the 3 hour gtt shows that you don't really have gestational diabetes.

I was very lucky when I was pregnant with my son, no high blood sugar and only gained 11 pounds for the whole pregnancy. He was a long baby that's the only reason, I just couldn't hold much food.

Good luck with this, sweetie.

Also, please be sure you are taking at least 400 micrograms of folic acid daily, to prevent neural tube defects.

By the way, when I was pregnant, my OB only put me on iron supplements and folic acid. Those are the only two nutrients that are required in amounts that you cannot possibly get in your diet alone. Everything else, as long you have good nutrition, you can consume in food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter