Unhappy Dr visit

I hope you pass the 3 hour test with flying colors. I failed mine but just barely with my 2nd pregnancy. Once I went on the diabetic diet I felt much better. It was a pain having to test my blood sugar though. I wasn't tested with my first and had a 8 lb 10 oz baby (big for me). My 2nd was only 7 lb 4 oz. My doc said he was positive I had diabetes with my first.

*HUGS* I'm sorry, Sonya. I hope those numbers get into better territory for you.

Thanks for your support and kind words everyone. DH just kind of shrugged it off by saying "You're OK!" I guess I needed someone to talk to!

Going off sweets will be very hard for me if I have to, they are my only guilty pleasure. I'm already on a diet of IBS and can't eat fried foods (not really a problem), red meat, pork, or high fatty/greasy things. So no pizza, hamburgers, fried chicken, ice cream, even salads are not good on me. I live on starch and dairy. So an occasional helping of frozen low fat ice cream, candy bar, etc. was all I had! And I crave OJ now, but I bet if it comes back positive that will be off limits too.

Glad to hear some of you passed your 3 hour!

good luck for the next test
hope everything works out for the best

Hi there,

I failed both the one hour & the 3 hour.....I was famished after that long test too! I brought a banana along & ate it in the car on the drive home!

Anyway, it was really no big deal. My OB/GYN wanted to put me on insulin but I didn't want to go straight to that. I asked if there was some sort of diet plan I could follow first. So he gave me 2 weeks & my sugar level had to be down 10 (or was it 20) points by my next appt, or insulin it was! I followed the diet to the book & not only did my sugar level drop but also my blood pressure (it was a good thing in my case!)

I had to stay on that diet for the rest of my pregnancy & the biggest nuisance was having to poke my finger 3 times per day to test my blood, but I felt GREAT. Had lots of energy & my blood pressure stayed down the rest of the pregnancy.

Now, for what I went through during my pregnancy too....I had to run down 42 flights of stairs while we were vacationing & the hotel we were at caught fire ~ in the middle of the night, with my 7 y/o DS pulling me down most of those stairs.......lost my brakes (after having new brakes put on my SUV) & rammed into the guy in front of me & that "brain" thing happened to me too since I can't for the life of me remember what other big event happened during my pregnancy! Worked up to the day before I delivered (which was one week late) & I had a beautiful healthy baby in 7 pushes!

(Note, I do suffer from High Blood Pressure & had been on meds for years, I am also waaaay overweight & I was a spry 41 y/o during that pregnancy, 42 y/o when I delivered!) So there are lots of factors to consider.

Don't fret about it. Can't change it now...just relax, take your test & if the worst scenario happens, just follow your doctors directions..they know what they're doing!

Have a healthy & happy baby. Enjoy each moment of your pregnancy too.

Mishetta

Don't worry so much. Regardless of the outcome of the test, you'll be fine. Just follow the doctors orders and take care of yourself, whatever that requires. :)

Originally posted by SonjaH
Unfortunately, Sonya, all women deliver their brains along with the baby. The memory thing never comes back
Maybe that explains why I don't get algebra. :rolleyes: I'm diabetic as it is, so my doc didn't bother with the glucose tests. But he was amazed that I didn't need insulin until later than his patients with gestational diabetes started! :teeth: I took a pre-natal vitamin and Slow FE (iron) every day.

Originally posted by justjulie
I miserably failed my first test but I guess eating a pumpkin pie before taking it didn't help - I passed the second test without any problems - good luck!

A WHOLE PIE?????????????????:eek:

{{{hugs}}} to you Sonya, I hope all goes well with the second test :)

I haven't read through all of the responses, so I may be writing something that's already been written.

I also failed my 1 hour test. (Sort of. I'm positive that the lab gave me twice as much of the nasty orange stuff as they were supposed to, but the doctor's office didn't believe me.) I did some research before the 3 hour test and found out that it's best to eat a lot of carbs 2 days before the 3 hour test, especially complex carbs. The reason is that your body uses carbs to make glycogen (sp?), and you need glycogen to make glucose. Since you fast before the 3 hour, you may use up all of your glycogen before the test and not be able to make glucose just because of that.

About the iron--there are ways that you can eat your iron to make it absorb better. Eat it with vitamin C and no calcium. You may be able to get by with smaller supplements if you can eat it the right way.

Good luck! It seems like there's always a new headache when you're pregnant, but it's worth it. :)

Ok, I guess I need to know, what are the differences between complex carbs and regular carbs?

They told me I should bulk up but didn't say simple or complex carbs. I had a choice between adding on 6 extra slices of toast a day or 3 candy bars extra a day. Guess which one I chose?;) Should I take the toast instead of the Snickers?

simple carbs tend to be found in sugary stuff...candies, cookies, etc....stuff with sugar and other sweeteners in it.

Complex carbs are found in fruits and veggies. Whole grain breads a good choice, too. I would try to get most from this category.

I failed the one hour also. I passed the 3 hour too. Seems very common. :) While taking the 3 hour I sat in the waiting room and read. They told me I could walk around the hospital in between bllod tests but I was afraid my sugar would go crazy if I did that so I stayed put. I didn't want to use up any unnecessary energy. LOL
I second the vote for the orange stuff.
Best wishes to you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter