Unique experiences for a non Disney teen boy

tukkerlove

Mouseketeer
We are celebrating our son's final year of high school with a trip to Disney. He had a choice of what he wanted to do, and after looking at a number of theme park ideas, he landed on Disneyworld with a side of Universal. We will be going between Jan/Feb next year to try to catch lower crowds. He will have just turned 18.

Interested in hearing about unique experiences as add-ons to our trip. I was looking at the dessert party for the fireworks but I just don't think I can justify $100 or so per person for either a table that has an ok but not perfect view or still having to jostle with other people for a better one.

He's not "into" anything Disney owns, not a Star Wars fan, not a character person, he really just wants to experience the rides (we've been there years ago just before he entered kindegarten and he's also been to Disneyland a few times). In saying that if there was a cool themed restaurant (that serves food an 18 year old would eat) then he'd probably enjoy it, or if there is a better/different way to experience the fireworks that isn't too youthful (I think we did a pirate cruise last time we went), or anything in between that I don't know about, I'd love to hear ideas. Thanks!

What about doing California Grill and then watch the fireworks from their viewing platform outside? Depending on your Universal dates, they introduced a ride and dine Mardi Gras float package where you get a 3 course dinner at one of 4 universal restaurants and then ride a Mardi Gras float in the parade.

I always wanted to take my teenager to Typhoon Lagoon for surfing lessons, but I don't think they are doing beginner ones right now.

We did the Harmonious boat cruise as a treat for my mom's birthday and it was great. You don't say how many are in your party. The cruise is $400 for a max of 10 people. We had 8 and for $50/pp thought it was definitely worth it- much cheaper per person than the desert party and you zip right out on the boat when the fireworks are done. No being stuck in the log jam of people trying to exit the park after. They decorate the boat with balloons and a "Happy Birthday" sign at no extra charge. If your son is an animal person- they have a Wild Africa Trek at Animal Kingdom that looks very cool and is on our bucket list for our future "someday" trip.

My oldest son likes thrill rides, and there’s definitely more at Universal and Islands of Adventure than at WDW. When he was 17, he stopped wanting to go on Disney vacations with us. My youngest, who is 18, doesn’t care for thrill rides and prefers shows, Star Wars, and characters.

Recently, we went to Pointe South on I-drive and he loved Main Event. It’s bowling, an arcade, restaurant. We found coupons for arcade games for $20 for a bunch of credits. He loved it there. It’s not too far from Universal, closer to the Orange County Convention Center. We were staying at the Rosen Centre Orlando and walked there. Pointe South has a parking garage that charges to park.

I was just going to suggest the Wild Africa Trek. That's something different that doesn't scream OMG Disney.
Was just going to say this. My kids did this at college age and LOVED it! Nothing Disney about it.

Unless he's big-time into fireworks, I would personally skip the dessert party. 'Dessert Party' and 18 year old boys aren't two things that I would put together, in my opinion. Based on what you've told us, I'd focus more on the unique attractions (like FOP, Soarin', Rise of Resistance, Tron Cycle) that you can't get anywhere else and maybe something like the Wild Africa trek as suggested above.

If you're able to pick out any resort to stay at, try something with a cool theme that you think he might like. I personally think Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge are really awesome - he might have something he really gravitates towards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter