Unique retirement plans

Name ONE hotel or hotel employee who is providing incontinence care or offers bathing, wound care, medication administration, lab draws, etc to their guests... Nursing facilities may not be our ideal, but they do provide these services. A hotel does not.
I'm with other posters on here. These are apples and oranges comparisons. No one who is able-bodied enough to live unassisted in a hotel is going to be living in a nursing home. Someone who requires the level of care that a nursing home provides is not living in a hotel room unassisted.

Some of those services will be provided by your health insurer if you have Medicare Advantage. And with $128 a day savings, you can hire someone to come in and check on you daily and still be money ahead.

Last edited:
...High medical costs are also the main reason my husband and I are considering living our retirement years in a foreign country. Our medical care is just absurdly priced. I don't think that's a "unique" retirement plan by any stretch. There are many tens of thousands of retirees doing exactly that.
Those thoughts were very well expressed; thank you. Interesting what you mention about your retirement plans. So many Canadians do the opposite thing; make sure they spend enough time at home to maintain their provincial health-care status. Maximum absence is 6 months-less-a-day for legal residency. Understandably, most "snowbirds" leave for the winter and spring (the harshest seasons here) and come home for the summer and fall.

tvguy, I think what you are talking about is a good substitute for assisted living. (just like what those articles suggest are a substitute for independent living.) Once you get to nursing home status you'd have to have 24 hour a day live in care at home.

Like I said, I believe nursing homes are not something ANYONE would or should choose as a way to spend their retirement. I agree it is hard to find good nursing home care because it is an extremely vulnerable population and generally a pretty thankless and low paid job. Nursing home care is a necessity for some - it's just a reality.

I love that there are now many wonderful leveled care opportunities and it bugs me that people seem so quick to call every level "nursing home" when that's just NOT what they are.

I also love the idea of retiring overseas and have seriously considered it. However, I know that if I end up following in the footsteps of own parents I'll eventually need to move close to my kids if I live beyond when I can no longer travel. It's hard enough commuting between two states several times a month for my parents (they live 425 miles away.) I can't make my kids do that! My reality is that the early years of my retirement will probably be swallowed up helping to care for my own parents. (My mom is 86. Her mom died at 96 and her grandmother died at 103.) Then I have two older siblings who have no children. We're 15 years into dementia care with my dad and mom is just now starting that journey so I'm kind of a Debbie Downer on this subject, but you can imagine why the "I'll just live in a hotel" thing really got to me.

I think the whole industry is going to be making changes. The biggest and scariest scenario, is the younger generation does not want to work in the nursing homes. I think the major news was saying this week, how nursing homes are closing because of lack of help.

A nursing assistant in a nursing home can make more money as a chik fila employee, Aldi cashier, or school bus monitor. The nursing homes here pay $8-10/hr for such an important and extremely physically demanding job.

Nurses in those places don't fare much better, often making less than or the same as a new grad nurse in a hospital, or the same they could make in a doctor's office, home health. case management, or utilization review type position.

In addition to the lower pay, the working conditions are awful and it really takes a toll on yournody and your mental well being when you give 100% of yourself to provide the best care possible, but there just aren't enough staff to adequately provide for all the needs. I don't do that type of care, but I know that the days when I can't spend quality time with my patients are the days when I feel like I have failed them.

So I think its unfair to say "the younger generation does not want to work in nursing homes." Nobody would want to work in those conditions, especially when the paycheck provided won't pay the bills.

The guy in the Holiday Inn is 64 years old. That's younger than many people are when they go into independent living, and no where near assisted living or nursing care age. If he's paying an average of $52/day for a room (with breakfast, maybe?), utilities, cable and wifi, that's pretty darn inexpensive. I might consider that. I would absolutely love to be a nomad when I retire, living in various places - not cities, but smaller towns - for a couple years. This guy might be my hero!

Those thoughts were very well expressed; thank you. Interesting what you mention about your retirement plans. So many Canadians do the opposite thing; make sure they spend enough time at home to maintain their provincial health-care status. Maximum absence is 6 months-less-a-day for legal residency. Understandably, most "snowbirds" leave for the winter and spring (the harshest seasons here) and come home for the summer and fall.

If we had that health care system, I might do the same. But, we don't. Even Medicare doesn't cover all medical expenses....it's essentially an 80/20 insurance plan where the patient is still liable for 20% (unless they have some sort of supplemental plan, and those cost $$). And, 20% of our very high rates for medical care can add up fast. Plus, of course, prescription meds. The shocking difference in prices are just ridiculous. I was comparing what it would cost for one medication here in the US and it's $350. In Canada: $55. In Mexico: $46. My co-pay for that drug is MORE than the over the counter cash price in other countries! Same exact drug manufactured the same exact place. Seriously? WTH is wrong with our system that we literally pay 6-7x more for the same thing? Hell, I'd pay for my plane ticket and vacation if I traveled to Mexico to buy my drug on an annual basis....of course we are "warned" that for our "safety" we shouldn't do that. Right. Pretty sure it's more about the profits of the drug companies. Are we to believe that people in Mexico and Canada get "substandard" drugs? I don't think so.

Living in a Holiday Inn sounds depressing, quite frankly. To each their own and all of that.

I also appreciate the desire and need to downsize at some point. However, fitting all my life into some smallish somewhat dumpy hotel room does absolutely nothing for me. Especially at only 64 years old.

Oh gosh, yeah, sitting in a hotel room all day at 64 would be awful. For me, I was thinking more like spending a month, or more, at different places around the country. Find a town/small city, explore, meet other people, find things to do. I'd still have to have a 'home' base, but maybe one day I'd find a town that I'd decide to move to. There have been so many small cities/towns that I've spent a little time in that I've enjoyed. But, being single helps a lot - I don't have many ties and my dd won't likely settle on a home for a number of years. I've been empty 'nesting' for a while. I think it would be fun (not perfect, but fun) to be an empty 'explorer.'

I'd like to have a nomadic retirement. My husband and I differ on what that would look like - he'd like an RV for extended travels and our current house as our "home base", while I'd prefer something like a conversion van that could be used either for short-term camping or to get between hotels/cabins/whatever and selling off our current house for something smaller and more practical (we're in a 150 year old Victorian with all the bedrooms on the 2nd floor and the laundry in the basement - not exactly an idea setup for aging-in-place - and I really don't want to be cleaning and maintaining a 4-bedroom antique in my golden years). But it is far enough off right now that other than saving to fund it, there's really not a lot of sense in thinking about specifics. If my mother lives as long as my grandmother did, I may be spending my retirement caring for her. And if my husband's health starts to fail as young as his father's did, he might not live long enough to see me retire at all (he's 9 years older).

Both of those "plans" work so long as you are healthy. Neither is a good substitute for assisted living, and certainly not a nursing home. If the man in the Holiday Inn example actually NEEDED a nursing home (because why else would he be comparing the cost to a nursing home), the staff at the hotel isn't going to do for him the things a nursing home would do....dispense meds, manage incontinence, etc. If he's healthy, the better comparison would be the cost of an apartment in an "active senior" community. In my area, he'd definitely do better at one of those than a hotel! It runs about $800 a month for a 1 BR in an active senior community (no care provided, but housing only 55+ adults able to live on their own) which covers rent and basic utilities.

I suppose it depends on the market. My great-aunt is in an "active senior" complex that is pretty middle of the road for our area (nice library and craft room, daily organized activities, but no gym or pool) and is paying $2500 for a one-bedroom that includes basic utilities (she pays her own cable and internet), plus a housekeeping upcharge. That includes some things a hotel room wouldn't, like three meals a day and a full kitchen, but we've certainly joked about the fact that she could get a room at the chain hotel down the street from her complex for less.

There are two real differences that I think tip the scales in favor of the senior complex, though. First is the social element - my grandmother insisted on staying in her own home and that was very isolating for her as her health declined, even with neighbors that were friends and came over often. I can only imagine that would be worse in a hotel where your "neighbors" are people just passing through for a night or two. And second, most senior complexes, even those that serve a healthy population and do not offer assisted living/nursing care, have some level of experience with and training for medical emergencies. When my great-uncle had a stroke and stopped breathing, the staff at their facility knew how to do rescue breathing and did an excellent job keeping him going while waiting for EMS to arrive. I don't think your average Holiday Inn staff would have been as capable.

tvguy, I think what you are talking about is a good substitute for assisted living. (just like what those articles suggest are a substitute for independent living.) Once you get to nursing home status you'd have to have 24 hour a day live in care at home.

Like I said, I believe nursing homes are not something ANYONE would or should choose as a way to spend their retirement. I agree it is hard to find good nursing home care because it is an extremely vulnerable population and generally a pretty thankless and low paid job. Nursing home care is a necessity for some - it's just a reality.

I love that there are now many wonderful leveled care opportunities and it bugs me that people seem so quick to call every level "nursing home" when that's just NOT what they are.

I also love the idea of retiring overseas and have seriously considered it. However, I know that if I end up following in the footsteps of own parents I'll eventually need to move close to my kids if I live beyond when I can no longer travel. It's hard enough commuting between two states several times a month for my parents (they live 425 miles away.) I can't make my kids do that! My reality is that the early years of my retirement will probably be swallowed up helping to care for my own parents. (My mom is 86. Her mom died at 96 and her grandmother died at 103.) Then I have two older siblings who have no children. We're 15 years into dementia care with my dad and mom is just now starting that journey so I'm kind of a Debbie Downer on this subject, but you can imagine why the "I'll just live in a hotel" thing really got to me.
Yeah, I don't think either the cruise ship lady or the Holiday Inn guy are at a point where they need care, they just can't live alone anymore

If we had that health care system, I might do the same. But, we don't. Even Medicare doesn't cover all medical expenses....it's essentially an 80/20 insurance plan where the patient is still liable for 20% (unless they have some sort of supplemental plan, and those cost $$). And, 20% of our very high rates for medical care can add up fast. Plus, of course, prescription meds. The shocking difference in prices are just ridiculous. I was comparing what it would cost for one medication here in the US and it's $350. In Canada: $55. In Mexico: $46. My co-pay for that drug is MORE than the over the counter cash price in other countries! Same exact drug manufactured the same exact place. Seriously? WTH is wrong with our system that we literally pay 6-7x more for the same thing? Hell, I'd pay for my plane ticket and vacation if I traveled to Mexico to buy my drug on an annual basis....of course we are "warned" that for our "safety" we shouldn't do that. Right. Pretty sure it's more about the profits of the drug companies. Are we to believe that people in Mexico and Canada get "substandard" drugs? I don't think so.
Both of my parents live in Mexico as retirees (they are no longet together). Dad has only left three times in the past 20 years (two trips to Europe, one to the USA). Mom spends 3-4 months in summer with her boyfriend at his place in the US.

Both bought into the Mexican pubic healthcare for very minimal cost and Mom was in the hospital for an emergency a fw years ago---she said it was excellent care, at least as good as what she got in the US when something happened.

Name ONE hotel or hotel employee who is providing incontinence care or offers bathing, wound care, medication administration, lab draws, etc to their guests... Nursing facilities may not be our ideal, but they do provide these services. A hotel does not.
I'm with other posters on here. These are apples and oranges comparisons. No one who is able-bodied enough to live unassisted in a hotel is going to be living in a nursing home. Someone who requires the level of care that a nursing home provides is not living in a hotel room unassisted.
People who stay in their homes often have service come in to deal with those issues and are often less expensive than moving into an assisted living building.
With Grampa, he was a WWII veteran, and Veterans Affairs (VA) paid for someone to come into his townhome 3 times a week to do bathing and personal care, and a nurse daily to ensure medicine was taken, my mum and uncle set up meals to be delivered a few days a week. He had a housekeeper come once a week (also paid by VA). I went over Wednesdays to sort mail and paperwork. I also cooked dinner that evening, and threw a load of laundry in if needed. When it came time to move him to and actual care home, he went into one specially for veterans. He did pay some fees but not the full cost. He was there for less than 3 years when he passed at age 93.

Yes, but I'm also guessing in your area, you'd have a very hard time getting a hotel room for $60 a night too. That's the point. If he can get a hotel room for $60 a night (1800 a month, not counting tax), I'll bet in that same area, he could get an apartment for a whole lot less. Heck in my area, you'd have a VERY hard time finding a room in a hotel you'd actually want to stay in for less than $75 a night. LOL. More like $100 a night for something that is going to toss in breakfast and a happy hour (as the article mentions).

Sure, "permanent" hotel living might be attractive for other reasons, but the "budget" option it is not. Same with the boat lady, who was (in 2015) spending over $150K a year for her travels. Works great if you are extremely wealthy, but very few seniors fall into that category.

Not necessarily. You can get a hotel room in this town for $60 or even less. Rent is $1200-1500 a month in a small apartment. Its not about the area and COL its about supply and demand. We are a college town. With two universities and a community college, lots of students looking for apartments. High demand. Hotel rooms not so much, we are too close to NOLA, the MS coast and Mobile to really get a lot of travelers and not a lot of reason to stay here rather than moving on. Our hotels mostly do decent business during football season and by getting conventions in the area.

If I had that kind of money, I wouldn't hesitate on the cruise ship. Personally it sounds heavenly.

Both of my parents live in Mexico as retirees (they are no longet together). Dad has only left three times in the past 20 years (two trips to Europe, one to the USA). Mom spends 3-4 months in summer with her boyfriend at his place in the US.

Both bought into the Mexican pubic healthcare for very minimal cost and Mom was in the hospital for an emergency a fw years ago---she said it was excellent care, at least as good as what she got in the US when something happened.

This is what we are considering doing in a few years but in Italy instead. My husband has dual citizenship and with proof of assets and some upfront money we can have health insurance there. He has already talked with the consulate and has a rough outline of what we need to do.

Yeah, I don't think either the cruise ship lady or the Holiday Inn guy are at a point where they need care, they just can't live alone anymore

I don’t think it has anything to do with whether they can live alone, I think it’s that they want to downsize, not worry about any kind of home/apartment maintenance, and do something a little more “fun”.

The cruise ship lady is older but definetely still spry and holiday inn guy isn’t even on SS yet.

I agree. The people in those examples are capable of living on their own, and they are capable of choosing not to. They are obviously capable of paying for it (and I don't just mean having the money I mean capable of figuring out how to pay their bill and understanding that they need to do so.) They are capable of planning to do it, packing up to do it, etc. etc. Comparing that to long term care for the someone who is incapacitated is ridiculous.

Our supplemental medical/prescription/dental coverage here basically works like your health insurance. The cost of dental work is not publicly regulated in any way and is prohibitive for many people.

I actually did go on a vacation specifically so I could have dental work done. Health tourism is becoming a bigger and bigger thing. A travel agency here in Canada (called Dental Departures :teeth: ) organized everything. I was very impressed with the facility and the credentials of the dentists. I ended up getting what had been quoted at $8,000.00 worth of work done for about $2,200, all of which was covered by my insurance. I'd certainly recommend it to anyone. And regarding your prescriptions, have you checked out on-line pharmacies? Many of them are based here in Canada and they provide "Canadian" drugs.

I'd like to have a nomadic retirement. My husband and I differ on what that would look like - he'd like an RV for extended travels and our current house as our "home base", while I'd prefer something like a conversion van that could be used either for short-term camping or to get between hotels/cabins/whatever and selling off our current house for something smaller and more practical (we're in a 150 year old Victorian with all the bedrooms on the 2nd floor and the laundry in the basement - not exactly an idea setup for aging-in-place - and I really don't want to be cleaning and maintaining a 4-bedroom antique in my golden years). But it is far enough off right now that other than saving to fund it, there's really not a lot of sense in thinking about specifics. If my mother lives as long as my grandmother did, I may be spending my retirement caring for her. And if my husband's health starts to fail as young as his father's did, he might not live long enough to see me retire at all (he's 9 years older).

I suppose it depends on the market. My great-aunt is in an "active senior" complex that is pretty middle of the road for our area (nice library and craft room, daily organized activities, but no gym or pool) and is paying $2500 for a one-bedroom that includes basic utilities (she pays her own cable and internet), plus a housekeeping upcharge. That includes some things a hotel room wouldn't, like three meals a day and a full kitchen, but we've certainly joked about the fact that she could get a room at the chain hotel down the street from her complex for less.

There are two real differences that I think tip the scales in favor of the senior complex, though. First is the social element - my grandmother insisted on staying in her own home and that was very isolating for her as her health declined, even with neighbors that were friends and came over often. I can only imagine that would be worse in a hotel where your "neighbors" are people just passing through for a night or two. And second, most senior complexes, even those that serve a healthy population and do not offer assisted living/nursing care, have some level of experience with and training for medical emergencies. When my great-uncle had a stroke and stopped breathing, the staff at their facility knew how to do rescue breathing and did an excellent job keeping him going while waiting for EMS to arrive. I don't think your average Holiday Inn staff would have been as capable.
:flower3: Oh I certainly hope you and your DH have some "golden years" to enjoy together. Based on our current long-term outlook, Both of us plan to work until we're 70. The only problem with that is due to our age difference, he will be in his mid-80s by the time I stop working.
Holiday Inn guy is only 64 - the same age as my DH, who is as hale-and-hearty as I am. He must have some other reason to be doing this hotel thing.
Not necessarily. You can get a hotel room in this town for $60 or even less. Rent is $1200-1500 a month in a small apartment. Its not about the area and COL its about supply and demand. We are a college town. With two universities and a community college, lots of students looking for apartments. High demand. Hotel rooms not so much, we are too close to NOLA, the MS coast and Mobile to really get a lot of travelers and not a lot of reason to stay here rather than moving on. Our hotels mostly do decent business during football season and by getting conventions in the area.
If I had that kind of money, I wouldn't hesitate on the cruise ship. Personally it sounds heavenly.
:confused3 It could definitely be done for less. The $190something thousand dollars Mama Lee is spending is for a suite on Silverseas, an exclusive luxury line. Setting sights a little lower, I'm pretty sure (at least in today's dollars) a cabin could be had on Carnival or RCCL for $1,000/week (taking the singles supplement into account). Mid-$50 thousand per year is probably actually within reach for quite a few people. :scratchin

I believe this is actually becoming a consideration for many older folks. My son and his family recently had to check into a VERY nice hotel in an area of Long Island. His condo had been flooded by a broken sprinkler line during a particularly brutal cold spell. The hotel is on the North Shore and is affiliated with a catering venue next door to it. It is owned by a well known family of restaurateurs, who own several other venues and restaurants including one in Manhattan. All rooms are suites. They have a lovely sitting area (couch and a chair, flat screen tv), and a full size fridge,kitchen cabinets, sink and microwave (no oven). Through a set of double doors is the bedroom which includes a king size bed. Bathroom has both shower and luxury soaking tub, separate water closet. It's beautiful.
During his stay he has met with 3 guests who are currently residing there permanently. One is a retired couple, (teachers), the other is a retired woman (school principal) to which I've had the pleasure of speaking and having dinner with. She pretty much spends her entire pension on her accommodations. Yet, this includes two meals a day. REAL meals. Omelettes made to order in the morning and a beautiful hot and cold buffet every evening from 5 to 7:30 pm. We have even been guests there at dinner time. It's all you can eat. They have a full bar( you are charged additionally for alcoholic beverages). The setting is quite lovely complete with a roaring fireplace. This charming older woman is currently 90 years of age. (although look she looks about 20 years younger). She eats all her meals there, and even takes some items back to her suite for snacking. Meals are not served on weekends, so she stocks up during the week on items, so that she can heat them in her suite on the weekend.
She wants for NOTHING. NO UTILITIES, NO FOOD. FREE housekeeping, FREE cable tv, FREE transportation to anywhere within ten miles of the hotel. (via a Cadillac Escalade) There are two malls and a downtown easily at her disposal should she want to leave. There is a beautiful community park across the street. In the summer time they feature local entertainment for town residents. She is quite social and in very good shape physically. She is the eyes and ears of the place. Gives my son and daughter in law all the benefits of her expertise, lol! Her daughter, who lives locally, comes to have dinner there a couple of times a week. She takes the free transportation to get her hair done near by and to visit friends and other family. She is perfectly happy. Oh, and there is a beautiful outdoor pool and hot tub on premises as well. No indoor pool. Full laundry facilities. The staff are quite fond of her and dote on her. She has no desire to live in an assisted living as it would cost her more than her pension on Long Island. She enjoys being around people of all ages. (God bless her she loves my 3 year old grandson, and I'm getting jealous of all the attention he pays to her, lol!). She does not have the responsibility of her home (which she sold), and hasn't had to move in with her children. She doesn't have a lot of extra cash, but as she has said, "everything I need is here".
I NEVER would have even thought of such a thing. I did hear about the woman on the cruise ship, and I think this situation is very much like that. Obviously she is in very good health, and is able to physically care for herself.

Last edited:
SRQ57, your post did not describe someone who NEEDS to live in assisted living - so why would she? I think people do not understand what assisted living even IS.

What you are describing is someone who still lives independently, but with extra amenities. Many leveled care facilities offer independent living, and it sounds very much like what you describe. A hotel or cruise is certainly a good option for independent living. The big difference is that when/if a person living in an independent living senior residential community NEEDS assisted living it is available so lots of people choose that option because of that. Living in senior independent living is NOT living in assisted living or living in a nursing home. Assisted living is more than room, board, and transportation. Assisted living has part time nursing care and/or medical supervision included. It is state regulated. People don't just move in for fun. This thread is driving me nuts.

In leveled care facilities, independent living offers room, board, and transportation as well as other amenities. That is what could be compared to hotels and cruises. Assisted living offers some medical supervision and nursing care on a case by case basis with the goal of helping the seniors live as independently as possible now that they are no longer capable of living independently. It costs WAAYY more and people don't move there before they need it. Why would you pay for nursing care when you don't need it? What we think of as "nursing homes" are FULL nursing care.

Last edited:
Diskat -

Actually, I'm quite aware of what assisted living is as opposed to skilled nursing care (as my grandmother resided in both sides of an assisted living facility during her lifetime) and a dear friend is a social worker that admits people into such facilities.
That being said, it was my impression from the Original Poster that the thread was about "retirement plans". As the woman who lived on the cruise ship was mentioned. I realize I did mention the 90 year old woman at the hotel didn't want to live in an assisted living facility, as it was more in reference to her age. You are quite right, she does not physically require such an environment, and I believe I mentioned that in my post.
I merely wanted to share what I thought to be an unusual choice for retirement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter