United changing how they board.

It's because you never know what's available near you. And once you're at the back of the plane, you can't make it forward again.

There is definite truth in that, but I can say firsthand I have witnessed hundreds of times when passengers who boarded way before the bins could possibly be remotely full putting their bag in a row way ahead where they were sitting. There is no way with only 25 people who boarded in front of you (including first and comfort) row 32 is full.

I could never force someone to move the bag (unless it was in the wrong cabin), but I would always strongly suggest they move it closer to their seat. Yeah, I'd get the grumbles and eyerolls, but they typically did it. Never did I suggest it if there was a possibility bins were full in the back.

I get what you are saying, but some people just put their bag up way before their row because they don't want to wheel it back that extra thirty feet? :confused3

I often fly first class (not a flex, just the result of having to fly more than I’d like to for work, and getting upgrades), and the one thing that irritates me, even though I didn’t pay any more than the main cabin customers, is people slyly putting their carry ons in the first class overhead bins when the attendant isn’t looking. Particularly when the bins are marked for first class only, and you KNOW there is plenty of room further back because they just started boarding the main cabin. I totally understand the frustration of getting to the back of the plane and finding no overhead bin space. I’ve been there too. But the problem is, if I can’t find a place for my bag up front, I can’t just walk 10 rows back and stuff in back there, then try to swim back upstream on landing to get the bag back.

Last edited:
Boarding always sucked, even before they started charging for checked bags.

You frequently hear gate agents offering to check your bag for free to expedite the boarding process. Many people don't take the offer because they don't want to wait for their bags at their final destination.
And to have to avoid checked luggage getting "lost".

There is a good reason you may see backpacks in the overhead bins, even if they are small enough to fit under a seat. Some folks carry a backpack plus another personal item, and the other item goes under their seat.

When I fly solo, I check one larger rolling bag, and carry on a mid-size backpack (with my 24-hour supplies) and a business tote (with my handbag, laptop/tablet, jacket, and whatever else I need during the flight). On the plane, the tote goes under the seat, so the backpack has to go overhead. This setup is much easier for me than having a big rolling carry-on. Plus it leaves more space in the overhead for others. It never occurred to me that would bother people 🤷🏻‍♀️.

There is definite truth in that, but I can say firsthand I have witnessed hundreds of times when passengers who boarded way before the bins could possibly be remotely full putting their bag in a row way ahead where they were sitting. There is no way with only 25 people who boarded in front of you (including first and comfort) row 32 is full.

I could never force someone to move the bag (unless it was in the wrong cabin), but I would always strongly suggest they move it closer to their seat. Yeah, I'd get the grumbles and eyerolls, but they typically did it. Never did I suggest it if there was a possibility bins were full in the back.

I get what you are saying, but some people just put their bag up way before their row because they don't want to wheel it back that extra thirty feet? :confused3
I'll also put mine up early because the line has stopped anyway, or I don't need anything from it during the flight. And if first and premium economy has already boarded, what else is that space for?

Boarding always sucked, even before they started charging for checked bags.

You frequently hear gate agents offering to check your bag for free to expedite the boarding process. Many people don't take the offer because they don't want to wait for their bags at their final destination.
I don't think I ever had to gate check a bag flying before they charged for checking luggage, now they make the announcement almost every flight. It was never a fun process, but the line down the jet bridge is definitely worse now than in the past.

I don't think I ever had to gate check a bag flying before they charged for checking luggage, now they make the announcement almost every flight. It was never a fun process, but the line down the jet bridge is definitely worse now than in the past.
Oh, we checked bags before they started charging. I remember it very well.

It was more prevalent with business versus leisure travel passengers. Certain routes are very much a business route. I was the scapegoat for irritated passengers that were forced to check. Good times ... :rolleyes2

I'll also put mine up early because the line has stopped anyway, or I don't need anything from it during the flight. And if first and premium economy has already boarded, what else is that space for?
Because sometimes passengers from first class and premium economy haven't boarded yet. They can easily be running behind with a connecting flight. If I was there and saw all of first and premium was boarded of course I would allow you to put your bag in that overhead, but that space is designated for them and if seats are still unoccupied they rightly deserve it.

Will pre-boarding be allowed due to allergy reasons? My twin sister has a peanut allergy and we usually pre-board to wipe down the seats, tray tables and anything else that's in front of us. If they do allow it, will it be just one other person who gets to go with her or do we all go?

Will pre-boarding be allowed due to allergy reasons? My twin sister has a peanut allergy and we usually pre-board to wipe down the seats, tray tables and anything else that's in front of us

I think that varies on airline. Never hurts to talk to the agent before boarding to find out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter