Universal 1st timer looking for help with park plans😊

lorilclevelandrn

DIS Veteran
Good morning~

Looking for advice on how I should plan tackling the park (IOA/UO) with 1/2 day on arrival?

It’ll be myself, daughter (10), and friend (10). We’re doing a split Uni/Disney trip. We’re what I would call Disney pros visiting 1-2 times a year since we had our son and he’s 21 so super excited to visit Universal for the 1st time although a tad overwhelmed bc I’m not familiar with the park. I also went ahead and purchased an AP for great deal on room rate.

Arrival day: 11/26 @ 1030; departure 11/28
Resort: Royal Pacific

*Dining reservations @ Toothsome’s on 11/26 @ 730.

I greatly appreciate any help! TIA!!!

You should be getting Express Passes for each of you in the same room in a Premium Resort. That will help a ton. As far as attractions go, that's on your own likes/dislikes. But be sure to do the train ride between the HP lands since you've got the AP.

For me, I always go the right when entering either UO/IOA. I typically find the traffic flow is a little better starting the parks that way.

Toothsome is my favorite at CityWalk. I always get the avocado bruschetta and shaved brussels sprouts.

I have heard that the Express Passes given to Premium Resort guests are good even on check-out day. So, if you have time and desire to take advantage of that, then you probably can make HP work for both lands with more ease. That's what I would do and leave the luggage at valet/baggage until you return from the 3rd day.

Your room key is your express pass. Everyone on the reservation will have their own. You can stop at ticket planning desk in the lobby and pick up your AP if you paid in full, depending on AP level-you also get discounts on merch, table service at most places ( hotel restaurants are where you may not get a discount, at Royal Pacific only at Islands Dining) , QS and snacks. So flash that AP when you buy butter beer.

Royal pacific has a boat dock on first floor down by the pool. You go through security there and boat goes to City Walk near the NBC grill, they’re also walking path which will bring you out by IoA bridge. So if you’re going to IoA , it’s easier to walk.

Download the Universal app and familiarize your self with the park layout, treat the 2 parks as one big one. The express works on everything but Hagrid’s.

Buy a lanyard with a pouch at the gift shops or ahead of time. Unlike Disney, there are rides where you have to put your stuff in a locker and some you have go through metal detectors. The only thing you can have are your lanyards .

Lanyards are great to have, especially if you have Express Pass. Have one barcode (ExpressPass) facing out of one side of the pouch, and have the other barcode (Annual Pass) facing out the other side of the pouch. Universal now charges extra for the card pouch. The lanyards no longer come with card pouches. If you are trying to save money, buy the lanyard with the card pouch ahead of time from someplace else and bring it with you. You could buy the card pouch at an office supply store/amazon and then buy the lanyard from Universal, if you wanted some part of it to be a fun themed souvenir.

In terms of rides, what is your party's tolerance, and does anyone have any specific ride relatated perferences or issues? Universal rides are often more intense than WDW rides. Are you ride cowards, thrill seekers, or something in between? Any issues with drops, coasters, motion simulators, and similar/related things? Any Harry Potter fans/superfans in the party? Any franchises that someone is fan of (Minions, Jurassic Park, Marvel)? The answers to these questions will help you get better recommendations from the wonderful and knowledgable people on this board. What you trying to do will change how you plan. Planning Universal for thrill seekers is different than planning Universal for ride cowards or something in between. You'll have fun and a great trip either way, it just changes what you do.

What time do you leave on the 28th? I am trying to figure out if you have one full day and two half days, or two full days and one half day. Good call on getting the Toothsome Reservation.

Something that tends to freak out WDW people but it is not actually that big of a deal at all is the lockers. Some rides require people to store bags in a locker. Unless you are carrying a giant backpack/diaper bag, your bag will probably fit. I take the same bags to the park that I use in my regular life and I have never had a problem fitting my bag into the locker. If there is something you want to carry with you and have on hand at a moment's notice, carry a bag, especially if you think it will make your life easier. Putting things into the locker and taking them out the locker does not take a significant amount of time. You pass the lockers just before or after you line up for the ride. The ride's exit is also near the lockers.

I have heard that the Express Passes given to Premium Resort guests are good even on check-out day.
It's good Check-In through Check-Out day.

Even just 1 night at a Premier resort nets you 2 days of EP and you don't have to be fully checked out of a different Universal resort first in order to check-in for the Premier resort to get your EP. Common reason of why a split stay within Universal resorts occurs a lot.

Note that the water rides are a lot of fun, but Popeye Barges & Dudley Dooright Flume will get you soaked! Plan accordingly. Jurassic Park River Adventure may get you fairly wet or just spritzed, more likely for just spritzed in cooler weather or if not in front row (where the brunt of the big drop splash hits).

Have fun!

The walk from Royal Pacific to IOA is nice and easy enough just in case you don't want to do the boats.

With Express Pass you do not have anything you need to do like you would over at WDW, you just walk up to the EP line and get in by having your room key scanned. Your room keys however are tied to each specific person with your names printed on them.

Biggest thing IMO you can do ahead of time since you've never been is going to the website as a family and looking over what attractions you want to do and what shows you want to see. You'll have a limited-ish time especially with 1/2 day on arrival and we don't know exactly how long you'll have on your departure day so it's probably a good idea to know as a group which stuff are you really to see and do.

Having EP will help in this as Hagrid's is the only attraction right now without it. In addition if only one person is up to riding a specific ride and it also has single rider check with the TM (Team Member) at the attraction to see if EP or SR is faster. When we were there last year sometimes the SR line was faster than the EP line although neither were really long at all

Again, you all our awesome and appreciate all the feedback.

I’m planning on 2 1/2 days. We’re really not in a big hurry to get over to Disney since planning no Disney parks on 28th.

My crew consists of all thrill seekers and HP lovers. I also have a daughter obsessed with anything and everything Christmas so considering Grinch breakfast if it ever opens for reservations.

I’d start my 1/2 day checking into the resort, leaving bags with the bell man, getting my room key/express and then head to the parks. By the time you enter, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was close to lunchtime. With your HP fans, I’d head straight to the Studios and the leaky cauldron. It’s popular at lunchtime but the wait shouldn’t be too bad on a Sunday. After lunch, hit Gringots and then Olivanders. Maybe a hp show and ice cream or butterbeer. After exploring Diagon Alley, with express, you can do whatever everyone is feeling like. Want more HP? Take the train to IOP. Want some good roller coaster action? Head back towards the Mummy. With express, you really dont need a plan and can just go wherever the mood strike! Enjoy!!

Lines for Ollivanders are lower in the late afternoon / early evening, although it does close earlier than the park so don't wait too late. Evening is also a great time to do spells and explore HP areas with lower crowds. You can also do spells & wander a bit around Hogsmeade after park close - the area stays open a while because people are still riding & exiting Hagrids, so you aren't holding team members up from closing the area down..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter