Universal Early Close Procedures?

disneyinthespringtime

Mouseketeer
We're considering a trip to Universal around spring break time and would be going on a Friday. Universal closes at 6 that day (both parks) due to some sort of graduation thing for students.

Question:
  • Does that mean that at 5:58 we could still get in ride lines?
  • Do things like shops, restaurants close starting AT 6 or before?
  • If we're in a shop/restaurant still at 6 would they kick us out at that time?
Side question - if I think my family would like both Minion Mayhem and ET but we end up with only time for one, which would you pick?

All I have to say is that I would pick another date. Why make your one day there a short one? Give yourself the best possible time and go on a day that the parks are open later.

All I have to say is that I would pick another date. Why make your one day there a short one? Give yourself the best possible time and go on a day that the parks are open later.

That is the date we can make work. We are just tacking a stopover in Orlando onto the front end of a cruise trip. As we would plan to open it at 7:00 with Early entry, need a mid-day break anyway, and my kids are not night owls...I don’t think it really chops that much time off that we would otherwise use.

ET is an actual ride, Minions is a 3D theater with motion seats and a few effects. Minions is the same style as Shrek.

If your kids like the minion movie I would go on this ride. We love it.It is really fun. I think ET is nice if you remember the movie but not as much fun as Minions.

The last time we went to USO, we never saw a wait for Minions under 45 minutes (June trip). There isn't really a wait for ET. So if you can get into Minions, you should still be able to do ET. We've never been during an early close, so I can't help with those questions.

The last time we went to USO, we never saw a wait for Minions under 45 minutes (June trip). There isn't really a wait for ET. So if you can get into Minions, you should still be able to do ET. We've never been during an early close, so I can't help with those questions.

Thanks! We will have the express pass I should have mentioned so are just comparing ride quality.

Thanks! We will have the express pass I should have mentioned so are just comparing ride quality.

As much as I like Minions, you can still have a decent wait with EP. You still have to do all the pre-ride show stuff, so it only shortens the wait outside the building.

But I haven’t been on ET for ages.

If they have another event after the 6 closing, they are not going to be as lenient about allowing people to hang around past that closing time as they usually are on a reg closing night.

I would start getting everything wrapped up around 5:30 and expect to be shown the gate at 6.

You can still enter the line at 5:59 but not at 6. You will be pushed towards the exit at 6:00. This means that stores at the back of the park will not let you in like they would on a normal closing. Quick service restaurants also close at 5:30 PM.

Wait times for ET have been over an hour pretty much every day in the last couple of weeks. They've shut down on side of the loading and done some other things to slow the loading process since the accident last month.

You said you have EE. If Universal is EE on your trip, I would do Gringotts, Mummy then Minions. Minions wasn’t open during EE, so we got in line about 30 min. Before regular open time and it opened about 10 min early. We did this in October and it worked well. We like ET as well, but like others have said the line is shorter.

Thanks. Mummy is not on our list so far as I think it will scare my littler one. Since we have the EP I was leaning toward doing DA spells for the early hour and saving the rides for afterwards. Bad idea?

That's a good plan. If you can separate for the Mummy though, it is a must ride! Truly one of the most fun rides! Definitely runs the risk of being too scary- just send part of the crew off to do something else for a bit while riding. No rule about always being together. :) We always have to split up in my crew as (until recently) ds2 didn't like thrill rides and dh didn't like most thrill rides.

You said you have EE. If Universal is EE on your trip, I would do Gringotts, Mummy then Minions. Minions wasn’t open during EE, so we got in line about 30 min. Before regular open time and it opened about 10 min early. We did this in October and it worked well. We like ET as well, but like others have said the line is shorter.

But Mummy WAS open during EE? I've been trying to find other things we can do during that first hour other than wait for RD and I wish I could know Mummy or RRR would be an option. I've been trying to look at wait times every morning, and as of now have yet to see a wait time posted for either.

But Mummy WAS open during EE? I've been trying to find other things we can do during that first hour other than wait for RD and I wish I could know Mummy or RRR would be an option. I've been trying to look at wait times every morning, and as of now have yet to see a wait time posted for either.

It seems Mummy was open for a short time during EE but has not been lately. Only Gringotts and usually DM. But I believe olivanders is open and the rest of DA so you could do spells or shop as well.

I think sometimes it can depend on which rides are cooperating. One of the days, mummy was down (probably due to HHN keeping it open so late) and FF was open as well as Simpsons. Minions opened about 15 min early, but wasn’t open all of EE. Usually after that we grab Starbucks and maybe a Big Pink and listen to Twirl and Hurl while we have breakfast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter