Universal has me spoiled.

gopher101

I love to plan trips
I went there in 2017 paid 185 a night at CB for a family suite. Went earlier this year paid 215 a night in a family suite facing the pool.
Stayed at CBR at WDW in 2018 8 nights in 5th sleeper, 6 days at park, and memory maker for 3350. Priced out another stay (next spring) at CBR in same room 8 nights, 5 days, and no MM for 4500. Hotel room went up over 100 a night from 200 to about 300 a night.

Universal gives a great hotel experience with out trying to price you to death. Thank you Universal

This year's Universal military discount is amazing. It will be my first time going there since 2003. Cabana Bay in December this year costs $2.40 more per night than a Disney tent campsite last December. 3 yearlong Universal military passes will cost us just about $90 more than 3 one-night Boo Bash tickets. We love Disney but I can see us incorporating more and more Universal travel in the future.

This year's Universal military discount is amazing. It will be my first time going there since 2003. Cabana Bay in December this year costs $2.40 more per night than a Disney tent campsite last December. 3 yearlong Universal military passes will cost us just about $90 more than 3 one-night Boo Bash tickets. We love Disney but I can see us incorporating more and more Universal travel in the future.
Disney hotel prices are insane. I just can't see the value.

Became a Universal convert this past December. Live out of state and since then have made two Disney/Universal trips and two additional Universal only trips. Between more reasonable annual pass rates and hotel rates, plus easy/quick getting to parks, overall hard to beat. My Disney AP comes up for renewal next month and I am having a hard time justifying the $1K after my experiences at Universal versus Disney.

I have a good friend that I rent points from for Disney...I tell you if I can't rent those points, and as much as I love Disney, not sure what we'll do, just cant justify the prices for a hotel room. I think Portofino is under $400 for the night-beautiful hotel and express pass, we're staying at RP this year (then going to Disney), splurged and are staying at one of their large suites, most I ever paid for a room-I think it was a little over $700, but it's only for 3 nights. The room is massive, and it's our splurge after we are essential workers and worked through all of covid.

Brought my kids to Disney twice then Universal once. When I ask if they want to go back to Orlando they say yes. If we are going to Universal lol

Disney hotel prices are insane. I just can't see the value.
Got to agree - Ive gotten reasonable rates at CBR in the past but its been a few years - over 200 is ridiculous IMO.
Ive stayed at most of the Disney hotels and have been mostly unimpressed - it was not as bad back in the day when you got 40% off with an AP - but I still found it overpriced and underwhelming - GF is a pretty basic room for example - it was all about location.

If people will pay it they will charge it

Got to agree - Ive gotten reasonable rates at CBR in the past but its been a few years - over 200 is ridiculous IMO.
Ive stayed at most of the Disney hotels and have been mostly unimpressed - it was not as bad back in the day when you got 40% off with an AP - but I still found it overpriced and underwhelming - GF is a pretty basic room for example - it was all about location.

If people will pay it they will charge it

Yep. Paying $400 a night for CBR in November. Insane.

We stayed at Universal resorts for the first time this week. We are Disney veterans. I am totally impressed! We stayed at Cabana Bay and Portofino. We got our room at Portofino for about $20 more than a value resort at Disney with our AP rates. That's insanity! This hotel is seriously a hundred fold better than Disney value resorts. And Cabana was awesome too. For under $100, we got a HUGE food court, lazy river, pool slide, and great theming. I said the entire week that Disney should be shaking in their boots because of what Universal is offering both hotel side and inside the parks

We stayed at Universal resorts for the first time this week. We are Disney veterans. I am totally impressed! We stayed at Cabana Bay and Portofino. We got our room at Portofino for about $20 more than a value resort at Disney with our AP rates. That's insanity! This hotel is seriously a hundred fold better than Disney value resorts. And Cabana was awesome too. For under $100, we got a HUGE food court, lazy river, pool slide, and great theming. I said the entire week that Disney should be shaking in their boots because of what Universal is offering both hotel side and inside the parks
The APH rates at UO are great and the reasonable cost of the passes themselves make it a huge win for us. As a family of 4, we can make 2-3 trips to UO per year for the same price I'm seeing for a 4 night DW vacation at a moderate resort.

I'm totally with you. In fact, we just cut our POR WDW trip in half so we could do Universal. We get an extra two days on our vacation for just $250 more. Not bad, considering a split trip and not taking advantage of stay-longer/avg-price/day-lowers. Plus Cabana Bay actually FITS our family of 5, unlike anything Mod or Dlx at Disney.

And then...bus service. Is there any question where this lands? Cabana Bay has amazing bus service, constantly coming and going. That is rarely the case at a Moderate at WDW. The theming is amazing at Cabana Bay as well. So retro cool.

l want to stay onsite as a solo traveler (WDW).
Yeah there is a lot to be said for staying on site - and the ME was a great perk as well

If I was going to stay on site now Id probably do one of the Swan's or the Dolphin - at least they are a Marriott and you can walk to Boardwalk, HS and Epcot.

You can also get reasonable prices there sometimes.

I agree 1000%. I’m right now at Portofino - this is our first Universal trip. The beds here are simply amazing. When I see that I’m basically paying through a special rate here the same price I just paid a pop century it’s insane. Seriously has anyone stayed here and commuted to Disney parks during their Disney trips? If it wasn’t for the fact of the skyline - something we love and it’s really convenient at pop. I am honestly considering only staying at a Universal Resort while in Orlando.

I agree 1000%. I’m right now at Portofino - this is our first Universal trip. The beds here are simply amazing. When I see that I’m basically paying through a special rate here the same price I just paid a pop century it’s insane. Seriously has anyone stayed here and commuted to Disney parks during their Disney trips? If it wasn’t for the fact of the skyline - something we love and it’s really convenient at pop. I am honestly considering only staying at a Universal Resort while in Orlando.
You definitely can. Prior to our upcoming May vacation, we have always done a 2 day P2P pass and just commuted to US/IOA. I'm sure others have thought the same! I'm thrilled to be staying onsite at USO!

That's why I prefer value resorts at WDW, but stay at the top levels at Universal. I know when I'm getting a good value for my money (Universal) and when I'm getting ripped off but still want to stay onsite as a solo traveler (WDW).
Try the Swan or Dolphin when you want a better deal on-site. We prefer th UO hotels for the price and just drive over to wdw

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter