Universal Hollywood tips

katyringo

DIS Veteran
Looking for tips to make the best of my one day at USH. Nintendo is the main draw. Have been to universal Orlando.

Here is what I have so far:
I purchased the early entry to Nintendo world
Join the toadstool cafe reservation early to garuntee entry that day
Buy the power up band at first gift shop (wish I could buy this ahead of time).
Single rider line for Mario Kart

Mario character meet and greets aren't a huge need- I do want to play the games and get to the castle.

I honestly plan to devote my morning to the land and then decide based on wait times if I do anything else there that day before heading back to Disneyland.

The lines for the games are shortest in the evening, longest during normal hours and slightly shorter during early entry. The first mini game tends to have the longest line 1st because it is what everyone sees first...you only have to do 3 to do Bowser, so you could skip that one and do the other 3 with shorter lines (we did early entry but got there 30 mins after land opening and made its through 3 mini games, not including the 1st one, by 9:30am). Get there way early because the walk to the land is long and has many escalators and if you have to use a mobility device it can take up to 30 mins for the shuttle. Secret Life of Pets will occasionally go to virtual queue so check if that is something you want to do.

30 minutes? Half of the early entry? That seems insane.
Yep apparently they only run 1 shuttle during early entry and it can only fit 2 mobile devices at a time so if you miss one or it is full you have to wait for it to go down, empty, refill, return, empty and refill and can take up to 30 mins.

Looking for tips to make the best of my one day at USH. Nintendo is the main draw. Have been to universal Orlando.

Here is what I have so far:
I purchased the early entry to Nintendo world
Join the toadstool cafe reservation early to garuntee entry that day
Buy the power up band at first gift shop (wish I could buy this ahead of time).
Single rider line for Mario Kart

Mario character meet and greets aren't a huge need- I do want to play the games and get to the castle.

I honestly plan to devote my morning to the land and then decide based on wait times if I do anything else there that day before heading back to Disneyland.
on early entry tips from last week:
they start scanning people in half an hour before early entry is listed as starting, then queue on the entry street in the upper lot, then about 15 minutes before ealry entry they start walking everyone down. we were in the line for bowser at 7:56 for an announced 8 am early entry. we got our wristband on the top lot while queued, saw it, got it set it up while waiting.

for toadstool, I scanned when we went by at 7:56 and it said full for the day, but I hit refresh at 8 (opening of early entry) and everything was open. you have to have the QR code to join the queue. Keep in mind that it's just the ability to get in line for a quick service location, (albeit the atmosphere is pretty cool), you will wait at least 15-20 minutes after your stated time to order.

we all single ridered Mario Kart but there are two sides to the unload, so if you are anticipating being there to meet your kids at the exit, have a plan (or tell them to meet at the visor return which is common to both sides).

it was VERY crowded and we were there on a weekday (albeit during spring break) but we got through everything during early entry and 1-2 more hours in the land (plus lunch) DS15 could have spent another hour or two with challenges for the wristband (you will need the app). I could spend more time there too but I would prefer to do so when it's not as crowded... maybe in a few years...

Early entry is amazing. If you get there at the start, you can easily do Mario Kart twice with a shorter wait. You'll also have first dibs at Toadstool Cafe reservations and the games. I would prioritize the ride if you really want to do it twice, since the game lines aren't too bad later in the day.

Early entry also includes a studio tour express pass, which I highly recommend using if you make it back up by 11 am.

Forbidden Journey and Mummy have single rider lines that are usually very short and move quickly. Other rides also have them. I believe the only big ride without one is Secret Life of Pets, which is a fantastic dark ride.

Toadstool QR code you can find on youtube ahead of time so you can reserve even while not in the park. When the morning reservations are full they will release the afternoon reservations 2 hrs after opening. The express lane that comes with early entry was good even past 11am for us but ymmv.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter