Universal Newbie....Disney Veteran. Need help planning!

lionqueen

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone. I'm looking for people's opinions on planning a trip to Universal. A little background: it will be my family of 5 (kids 9, 12 and 15 y.o) and we are thinking of going in mid to late January or early February of 2025. We are Disney veterans and are DVC owners so are vacations are pretty laid back and we always have a kitchen at our disposal meaning we do lots of food in our room. We want to try Universal and would probably stay for 4-5 nights. I have done some research but i'm kind of stumped at how to proceed. I have 2 ideas not knowing what the better idea would be.

Idea One: stay at a premier hotel probably Royal Pacific and potentially get club level. the pro's being there is some food and drink (since we don't have a kitchen) and we would have the express pass. this will probably be a surprise christmas gift so part of me wants to go "all out"

Idea Two: stay at a "cheaper" hotel maybe Cabana Bay? which would give us more space and save us a lot of money. i don't think we would buy the express pass if we stayed here.

so i guess the questions i have are
1.) do i need express pass at that time of year?

2.) we do not want to go out to eat for every meal, how difficult will that be if we don't have club level?

3.) is a park hopper worth it? (we usually hop at disney, it's not necessary but we like having the flexibility)

We are not on a crazy tight budget but I also don't want to be frivolous. (if most things are walk on in january maybe the express pass is a waste of money?) any tips, tricks, recommendations are welcome. Thanks in advance!!

If you'll be there during the week, you probably don't need an express pass that time of year, especially if you will be there 4-5 days. You'll have plenty time to see everything. You probably only need 4 days, not 5, since it most likely won't be swimming weather. Cabana Bay is great for the pool stuff, but it may be too cold to use it. I believe Portifino has a heated pool, but I'm not sure of the others. We were there on a cold weekend in January and enjoyed the express pass even if it was unnecessary. I think the rooms do have a fridge and you can rent a microwave if you want. I'm not sure the club level is necessary but it depends on the price point. We went to the grocery store and got breakfast items, juice, wine, soda and snacks and kept them in the room. City Walk is easy to get to when you're hungry if you stay at the premiere hotels. Either way, you'll have a great time. Cabana Bay and Royal Pacific are nice.

January to February is the best time to go, you wont need express at all and getting it would probably be a huge waste of money. Cabana Bay has suites which will probably fit your family, but IMO Aventura is the hidden gem of UO. You could probably get two rooms for the cost of a suite at CB. IIRC UO hotels have refrigerators, but cooking would be difficult, however there are microwaves and toasters at CB and Aventura (I don't remember RP). Park hopper is worth it to ride the Hogwarts Express. We're AP and hop every time we come, treating it like one giant park, and its fun to park hop too depending on what is going on. If you come during Mardi Gras, during the parade, you might want to hop to IOA for shorter lines, or maybe you enjoy it so much you want to do it multiple times.

1. Definitely go for park hoppers for that length of time, you can go back and forth so easily & it's nice not being restricted. I rarely spend the whole day in one park.
2. Have you considered getting 1 AP for the room discounts? The discounts for Jan/Feb of next year are out now so you can take a peek to get an idea what you might find for next year.
3. Cabana Bay is actually quite a fun hotel & I don't think you can go wrong there.
4. Club is nice and for 5 people you probably will make out well with it - but it does tie you to being at the hotel at certain times for dinner (and to a lesser extent breakfast) - but you will also save on having basically all your drinks included & breakfast/dinner for 5 each day... with the AP discounts it might only be about $100 more/day to add Club to the standard room. Food for thought. But I agree it's a splurge and the EPs are not required - though they are nice.
5. Either way, I'd think about booking something now if possible - room only is fully refundable, and if prices go up (which they likely will) you'd be locked into the lower pricing. This obviously will only work if your dates are fairly set.

Express passes not needed that time of year. You should definitely get park hoppers.

Universal has deals all the time of 4 or 5 days for the price of 2. Going 4/5 days is not an issue for pricing, but it's a LOT of time at Universal.

The number of rides and shows at both parks is about the same as just Magic Kingdom. Would you spend 4-5 days JUST at Magic Kingdom? We had friends who went for 5 days last April, and were bored the last 3 days. They got to pretty much everything day 1, 'completed' both parks by day 2. Then just relaxed at the pools and re-did favorites over and over the last 3 days.

We went for 2 days last December, as part of a DisneyWorld vacation. Saw most everything, and left early day 2. We could have stayed longer if we had someone interested in Harry Potter. We had a butter beer, browsed through a few shops, rode the rides - which were excellent. But we didn't spend much time in that area as it was so so so crowded that it was uncomfortable. Probably because we went December 19-20. Your dates should be less crowded to enjoy that area.

My opinion as far as how many days to spend at the park... we always do 5. We don't think it's too much. We just like to repeat rides and do everything in a relaxing way. (Although we always have the Express Pass because we stay at Hard Rock or Portofino Bay.)

We like a lunch at Finnegan's, which is a table service restaurant. We also do the shows which take more time than going a ride.

We usually do a day at each park twice and on the 5th day we park hop.

We sometimes leave the parks a little earlier to go to dinner at CityWalk because we love Antojitos and Cowfish.

Last edited:
Not sure if this was mentioned....look into buying an annual pass for one person because UO usually offers good hotel discounts to passholders. You can see the AP discount price without buying the pass first. It may save you money.

Short Answers:

In general, No

2.) we do not want to go out to eat for every meal, how difficult will that be if we don't have club level?

Difficult but not impossible

3.) is a park hopper worth it? (we usually hop at disney, it's not necessary but we like having the flexibility)

Yes

Long Answers:

It depends on how long you are going to go for and what your kids will ride. If you are only going to the parks one or two days and if your kids will want to ride coasters together over and over, I'd get the express. When mine were that age, they wanted to ride the coasters and thrill rides back to back like 10 times in a row each. Having EP was amazing for that. If you just want to see everything once or twice or are going for a week, there's no need that time of year, especially if you guys are ok using the single rider line.

Crowds are generally low, but as people catch on, it can be hit or miss. I have done Feb trips in the past where absolutely everything was a walk on, and I have gone expecting short waits to find the parks crowded instead.

What is your goal? How is your family with waits? If the concern is fitting everything in, that is more than doable without EP. If the concern is never waiting more than 5 to 10 minutes, you'll need EP.

We are going the entire first week of February and will not have EP. I'm not worried about it at all. We discussed it, and decided we'd rather have money to spend on eating out, souvenirs, and maybe some other activities than EP which we won't really need, especially if we rope drop which we will. We are planning on spending half of each day in the parks and then going back to the room in the afternoon after lunch as we both still have to work.

If you have a full week, you will have more than enough time to see everything more than once. As pointed out above, Universal is much smaller than Disney. Our first trip, we did 3 days at Universal, 1at SW, and 1 at BG. It was perfect. We will probably do some non-Universal activities this February as well, maybe SW if I can catch a good deal. We don't need 6 full days at Universal as much as we love it, not in February. In the summer when it is hot enough to swim, it's a little different as we spend a lot of time resort hopping and enjoying the different pools, but I'm expecting it will be too cold for that.

As far as hopping parks, I highly recommend it. At Disney, I never do it as it eats up too much time to switch parks, but at Universal, switching parks is super quick and easy. You can be in another park in the same amount of time it would take you to simply walk from one side of MK to the other. At the front of the park, it’s a short 5 minute walk from exit to entrance. At most, it might take you 20 minutes total to get from attraction A in one park to attraction B in the other park by the front gates. If you are at the back of the park, you can take the Hogwarts Express which is an attraction in itself. Because of how quick and easy it is to change parks, we find ourselves switching parks once or twice, sometimes 3 times, in a day.

The same with visiting Citywalk. Visiting Disney Springs takes some time and effort, but Universal’s version, CityWalk, is right there. The entrances to both parks are actually located inside CityWalk, so it is super quick and easy to leave a park and have lunch in CityWalk. In addition, another thing that helps is that security is before you enter CityWalk, so you don’t have to go back through security when entering each park as long as you don’t leave CityWalk.

I'm not aware of any room at Universal with a full size fridge with freezer. This makes it so much harder to eat in the rooms. Like you, at Disney we do the condos with full kitchens and plan simple meals for the room like frozen pizza or corn dogs. At Universal, there aren't even microwaves in most of the rooms. Although, some hotels do have heating areas with microwaves you can use in the common areas. You will definately have to get creative with meals if you don't plan on eating out.

Crazy idea as I'm a big fan of staying on property, but have you looked at Vista Cay condos? We've gotten some great deals on them before. They are very close to the parks and would give you a full kitchen. The benefits to staying on site are early entry and ease of access with walking paths and boats, but in the winter when you probably won't be hopping back each afternoon to hang by the pool anyway, that might not be a deal breaker, especially if you have an entire week. You won't need to worry with early entry if you have a whole week. Staying offsite in a condo might be a good option in your situation if not eating out is a deal breaker for you.

You could also look at split stays. 1 night gives you 2 days worth of EP, so if you wanted to do part of the time at a preimier resort and then the rest offsite or at a value, that could save you some money. We've done that before during busy times of the year, and it worked out great. You let the kids ride all the coastsers and rides with long waits or ones they want to do over and over the days with EP, then you do everything else on the other days (shows, meals, window shopping, low wait rides, character meets, etc).

Hi everyone. I'm looking for people's opinions on planning a trip to Universal. A little background: it will be my family of 5 (kids 9, 12 and 15 y.o) and we are thinking of going in mid to late January or early February of 2025. We are Disney veterans and are DVC owners so are vacations are pretty laid back and we always have a kitchen at our disposal meaning we do lots of food in our room. We want to try Universal and would probably stay for 4-5 nights. I have done some research but i'm kind of stumped at how to proceed. I have 2 ideas not knowing what the better idea would be.

Idea One: stay at a premier hotel probably Royal Pacific and potentially get club level. the pro's being there is some food and drink (since we don't have a kitchen) and we would have the express pass. this will probably be a surprise christmas gift so part of me wants to go "all out"

Idea Two: stay at a "cheaper" hotel maybe Cabana Bay? which would give us more space and save us a lot of money. i don't think we would buy the express pass if we stayed here.

We are not on a crazy tight budget but I also don't want to be frivolous. (if most things are walk on in january maybe the express pass is a waste of money?) any tips, tricks, recommendations are welcome. Thanks in advance!!
We started going every year to UO probably in 2014/2015. We were Disney folks prior to that and took our 3 kids / grandparents every year. We love the Portofino - which includes the express pass and while the time of year you are planning probably doesn't need the express pass I am more of the ilk to stay at the premier resort and get express pass included. We have not booked club level and prefer to eat out at every meal. Park hopper for UO is definitely worth it. Would also suggest at least one of you getting the AP for hotel discounts and food / shopping discounts.

Enjoy!!

There are suites with full fridge freezers in the EP hotels, we have enjoyed the Hospitality Suites in RP and Sapphire and they have microwaves too.

We always have Club Level, but still eat out for every meal at night, it`s about more than food. We enjoy breakfast every day and evening beverage service too which includes wines and beers and RP/PB lounges are lovely spaces to hang out in too for some extra space. The breakfast offerings are very good and more than any family needs.

With the Club Lounges you can take away bottles of water and soda and any snacks they lay out during the day, we see people leaving in the morning with loads of water and other stuff before they head off to the parks.

I will always say we won`t go at anytime without the EP, but I understand that`s not for everyone, we`re lazy and won`t wait 20-30 minutes for a ride and we have an AP and appreciate the park hopping element of it, we enjoy taking the train both for fun and and as a means of getting to the other park. The walk between them is short, but it`s just a nice thing to do.

There are suites with full fridge freezers in the EP hotels, we have enjoyed the Hospitality Suites in RP and Sapphire and they have microwaves too.
This is so great to know. I'm guessing they have always been sold out or something for my dates, as I never noticed them before.

This is so great to know. I'm guessing they have always been sold out or something for my dates, as I never noticed them before.
They are very nice suites.

I`m not sure as I never check availability, but I do see folks complain at times that only the larger suites such as Hospitality and Presidential Suites are available during certain times when they`re looking for more regular rooms.

I believe you can see images of them on the booking sites available from Loews and Universal sites.

Yes you need the “Park Hopper” you can’t ride the Hogwarts Express without it.

No you don’t need Express during that time of year especially if you are going 3+ days.

Coming from DVC, I would either pick club level at one of the premier resorts (you will get express passes free that way). Or a suite at Sapphire Falls (as express passes are great but not 100% necessary if you want the extra room).

If you end up loving Universal you’ll know what to expect and how you like to tour, then consider Cabana Bay etc.

Cabana Bay suites have a sink and microwave in addition to small fridge in rooms. Transport to parks is bus only. Advantage of Premier hotels is ability to walk or boat and security entrance is before you get to city walk (this includes Sapphire Falls too). We’ve stayed at Hyatt house one bedroom suite before too-has the full size kitchen. Can walk to parks (bit longer walk) or take their bus to the parks.

It is possible to walk from the parks to Cabana Bay, I have done it many times. You go through the same security as Royal Pacific. Bus service is usually good and I don’t find the security check at city walk to be bad, especially for a slow time like January.

thanks everyone!! you've given me a lot to think about. part of me wants to go all out with club level at RP and then my brain says its not necessary and save the money. since we've never been there i'm leaning towards EP because i don't know what the kids will want to do and i don't know when we will make it back there. we will probably go for 4 nights. keep the suggestions coming! i will eventualy figure it out!!

You will figure it out. Our first visit was in 2002; we took the kids to IOA for a day while we were at Disney. The next year we stayed for 3 nights/4 days at Hard Rock. I don't remember if they had the EP system back then or not. We went back in 2008 and I'm pretty sure they had it by then. I have done a lot of solo trips without EP, but have always had it when the family was with me. Thanksgiving 2018 we had 2 club rooms at RPR which was great with young adults. You are going during a slower time, there is no one right way to do it!

Be aware there is a large Christian music festival, Rock the Universe, at the Studios park in the evenings Jan 26 & 27, which may draw more people that weekend, and the Mardi Gras events start Feb 3.

If you are torn on what to do and staying a whole week, I strongly suggest looking at a split stay. Do the club level at RP half the stay and then a couple of nights at CB. This would allow you to still save a little and also experience touring the parks both with and without EP to know for the future what you prefer. Also, a great excuse to plan some character meals or fun themed restaurants for the days you are at CB.

Also, if you are thinking of staying 4 days look out for buy 2 days get 2 free or buy 2 days get 3 free deals and also check the AP ticket prices. It is usually about the same cost to get a season pass as a 4 day park hopping ticket. I know for my trip this November, it was only about $50 more for a season pass verses a 2 day 2 park hopper, so I went for the season pass.

Our first few trips with the kids, we did 2-3 nights in a premier hotel, and it was so great to have express, and be close enough to walk. We've now branched out into the other hotels, and love them too. I know the rooms at the premiers will allow for a 5th person, and you get a rollaway, and pay for the extra person, but we've not tried it yet. Not sure how cramped it would be, but may not be an issues. We love all of the premiers.
We have never stayed club level, so can't offer any options on that.
We're also DVC, and always in a 1 bedroom or larger, so I know how you feel about having the kitchen, and ability to cook, have meals in the room. Universal does make it a lot harder for that. One of the few big knocks I have against Universal is the lack of a microwave in the majority of rooms. It would be such a help to have that, as I also do not like eating the majority of meals out, and would love to easily warm up leftovers. However, I did find the microwave in the Aventura dining area a few trips back, so it wasn't that much of a pain to take the cold pizza there to warm up, and bring back.
Also haven't yet stayed in a suite at like Cabana Bay, or the others, but they sure look great for the space. Now that the kids are 19 and 16, sharing a basic hotel room is not the most ideal scenario.
We've done a lot of split stays, so if that's not a huge hassle to move, that might be an option
I do recommend a park to park ticket for parkhopping, love to be able to go back and forth throughout the day, and ride the Hogwart's Express.
Sounds like such a fabulous trip you're planning!! lots of great info here on all kinds of topics in the Universal threads.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter