• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Universal Newbie needing suggestions and advice

Mom2SamandJames

DIS Veteran
Our family has done Disney many, many times. This year the boys asked to try Universal Studios so they are getting seasonal passes for Christmas. We have never been. Our first trip down will be in March. We need advice and suggestions. Dining, rides, and overall enjoyment suggestions are welcome. We are so excited. (My boys are 12 and 15, and they are huge Harry Potter and Marvel fans.)

At Studios I would recommend Mel's Diner & Monster Cafe to grab a bite to eat. Ride wise you're kind of spoiled for choice.

Revenge of The Mummy is great ride - it's a dark ride but is fast too, but so good. Gringots is a great ride in Diagon Alley, Race Through New York is a brilliant 3D ride, Fast & Furious is fun, Men in Black in great fun, The Simpsons is very good & E.T is very retro but you kind of have to do it if it's your first visit. There is also the Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket coaster which is not for the faint hearted - before you even drop anywhere you go up in a vertical position - it's quite rackerty but a must do if you love coasters & you get to choose the music that plays during the ride.

Tranformers is another fun ride and there are lots of things to do and look at. The Monster Make Up Show was great fun, very funny and even if you don't see the show, pop into the theatre as there are lots of props etc to look at.

Lots of photo ops too with Doc Brown, Scooby's gang, Beetlejuice, Simpsons etc - there are lots of photo ops in Springfield too.

Island Of Adventure - Spiderman is an excellent 3D ride, The Hulk is an amazing coaster, Dr Doom's Fear Fall is great if you like being shot up a pole very high, Toon Lagoon is great fun with a few water based rides. Skull Island (the King Kong ride) is well worth a visit, Jurassic Park River Adventure (you do get wet).

Raptor Encounter is a must do - it's just a photo op, but with a Blue the Raptor and her trainer....so funny and VERY interactive.

Then you have Hogsmead and Hagrids - a brilliant ride but you will queue....it's well worth it though in my opinion. You also have The Forbidden Journey in Hogwarts castle (brilliant), Flight of the hippergriff (good fun).

Butterbeer is worth a taste, quite expensive but well worth a taste, Olivanders is great if you want wands - there's lots to see and do in all the HP areas.

To eat at IoA definitely make a reservation for Mythos - a wonderful restaurant, decent prices, great service and we absolutely loved the food.

We found the food nice in The Three Broomsticks (IoA) & The Leaky Cauldron (Studios) but the food wasn't that hot - but well worth a visit and a few photos.

Lots of photo ops with Spiderman, Captain America, Wolverine and a few other Marvel characters.

We've just returned after 2 weeks there and we loved it and had the vacation of a lifetime.

Citywalk is great for restaurants too, we didn't eat there apart from the Chocolate Emporium (AMAZING!!!) but I'm sure you'll find lots of recommendations for places to eat and drink on the boards here.

Hope you have an incredible time - I'm sure you will - we're already planning to return for 3 weeks in 2021!

This year the boys asked to try Universal Studios so they are getting seasonal passes for Christmas. We have never been. Our first trip down will be in March.

Please, please, PLEASE be very careful choosing dates during this time period. Seasonal passes will be blacked out from the Studios side for the entire day anytime there is a concert. In March, there are likely to be concerts every weekend as part of Mardi Gras. This year's schedule hasn't been posted yet, but you should be able to find previous years with a quick search.

I'm hoping this doesn't disrupt your plans, but it seems with alarming regularity that newbies will have their dates and plans all worked out only to get blindsided by concert blackouts.

Hmmm I'm a seasonal passholder planning on 3/29-4/1. If concerts are only on weekends I should be okay though because I can visit studios monday-Wednesday right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter