Universal now requiring documentation be sent to a third party for accessibility

Here is my experience with the new process:

I applied to IBCCES on July 16th and was accepted by them on July 24th. I submitted the last page of a psychological evaluation report that listed my diagnosis (autism and a couple others). This page did not have a date, but it did have the signatures of the psychologist and their assistant. It also listed some recommendations for accommodations, but nothing specific to theme parks.

I received my email from Universal on July 24th and told them I had a trip planned for July 29th. They called me on July 27th (one of the preferred contact days I gave them) and they basically just confirmed the accommodations I selected on the IBCCES card (I selected all the sensory ones) and then gave me my case number to use at the parks to get the AAP.

Based on everything I’ve been reading about other peoples experiences and the fact that they added the bathroom accommodation option, it sounds like Universal thought guest services was spending too much time having the same conversations and arguments with guests who have bathroom or mobility issues. While I think bathroom issues ABSOLUTELY warrant an AAP, I bet if they are seeing abuse of the system, that’s probably the number one reason abusers give.

This just streamlines the process and they can just say no and move on, rather than spend time listening to someone plead their case when guest services has already made up their mind. I think they also want to make issuing an AAP more consistent across guest service employees, however that seems to be failing miserably at the moment. I’m sure if this is true though, it’s one reason among many that they decided to make this change.
I think to blanket say all bathroom issues are a no is insane though.

Like what about cancer patients with colostomy bags? Their bathroom needs fall so far outside the realm of normal.

And the same for people with bathroom needs who travel solo and can't have someone hold their place in line.

I'm not discussing legalities here, I'm just saying this is a crappy hill Universal has chosen to die on if true

I think to blanket say all bathroom issues are a no is insane though.

Like what about cancer patients with colostomy bags? Their bathroom needs fall so far outside the realm of normal.

And the same for people with bathroom needs who travel solo and can't have someone hold their place in line.

I'm not discussing legalities here, I'm just saying this is a crappy hill Universal has chosen to die on if true
Your choice of words made me spit tea onto my computer screen - in a silly way :rotfl:

I applied to IBCCES on July 16th and was accepted by them on July 24th. I submitted the last page of a psychological evaluation report that listed my diagnosis (autism and a couple others). This page did not have a date, but it did have the signatures of the psychologist and their assistant. It also listed some recommendations for accommodations, but nothing specific to theme parks.

I received my email from Universal on July 24th and told them I had a trip planned for July 29th. They called me on July 27th (one of the preferred contact days I gave them) and they basically just confirmed the accommodations I selected on the IBCCES card (I selected all the sensory ones) and then gave me my case number to use at the parks to get the AAP.

Based on everything I’ve been reading about other peoples experiences and the fact that they added the bathroom accommodation option, it sounds like Universal thought guest services was spending too much time having the same conversations and arguments with guests who have bathroom or mobility issues. While I think bathroom issues ABSOLUTELY warrant an AAP, I bet if they are seeing abuse of the system, that’s probably the number one reason abusers give.

This just streamlines the process and they can just say no and move on, rather than spend time listening to someone plead their case when guest services has already made up their mind. I think they also want to make issuing an AAP more consistent across guest service employees, however that seems to be failing miserably at the moment. I’m sure if this is true though, it’s one reason among many that they decided to make this change.

Sensory/anxiety is also a top ones people use as an excuse to get it when in fact they have no reason and want to abuse the system.

Sensory/anxiety is also a top ones people use as an excuse to get it when in fact they have no reason and want to abuse the system.
Lol, my younger daughters main reasons for needing Das are bathroom issues, sensory needs, and anxiety, so she hits them all. But they are all very real problems that make the parks so difficult. Sometimes even with Das she can't manage to ride, because even the quick wait in the lightning lane ends up being too much for her. But I know a lot of people think I'm lying or exaggerating

Saw this video on Instagram and wanted to share. This is why those of us with bathroom needs need a disability pass too. We leave lines more often than this poor lady (who went to change a tampon) and see how she got treated. I have had this happen to me. Yet Universal says to just leave the line and come back. That they are training their Team Members at the attractions. Yea right Universal.

Saw this video on Instagram and wanted to share. This is why those of us with bathroom needs need a disability pass too. We leave lines more often than this poor lady (who went to change a tampon) and see how she got treated. I have had this happen to me. Yet Universal says to just leave the line and come back. That they are training their Team Members at the attractions. Yea right Universal.

Disney has a protocol for this situation though. We saw it numerous times last week. If you leave the line, you talk to the CM at the entrance and they will let you use the Lightning Lane or another merge point to rejoin your family. We witnessed this on Flight of Passage, Tron, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, and Space Mountain.

Perhaps they need to better advertise this protocol, though. I can see them creating something like a line re entry pass like the old single rider cards.

Disney has a protocol for this situation though. We saw it numerous times last week. If you leave the line, you talk to the CM at the entrance and they will let you use the Lightning Lane or another merge point to rejoin your family. We witnessed this on Flight of Passage, Tron, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, and Space Mountain.

Perhaps they need to better advertise this protocol, though. I can see them creating something like a line re entry pass like the old single rider cards.
I wasn't aware this was a protocol, so I agree with you they could do a better job of advertising it.

So why wouldn’t person A walk into the line, 2 minutes later say they have to go to the bathroom, and then presto, instant access to the LL. Once you are there there is no way of seeing if you are a LL user, a DAS user, or someone rejoining their family. Couldn’t people use this to ride as many LLs as they want, especially if they aren’t with their family? Or family member B leaves the line a few minutes later and they walk into the LL together? It’s not like Disney checks most tap stalls twice.

I wasn't aware this was a protocol, so I agree with you they could do a better job of advertising it.

Perhaps they explain it to people who try to get a DAS for bathroom issues?

I saw it mostly with a parent and child, but I also saw single adults coming through the LL to rejoin their party once they saw them appear. At that point, the CM would let them in. This was mostly at the second tap point, but sometimes at the actual LL entrance (Tron).

So why wouldn’t person A walk into the line, 2 minutes later say they have to go to the bathroom, and then presto, instant access to the LL. Once you are there there is no way of seeing if you are a LL user, a DAS user, or someone rejoining their family. Couldn’t people use this to ride as many LLs as they want, especially if they aren’t with their family? Or family member B leaves the line a few minutes later and they walk into the LL together? It’s not like Disney checks most tap stalls twice.

The CMs made them wait until they could see their family or the family was close by. They would then join them in the standby line, not get to continue in the LL.

I don't know how this would work solo.

Also, at WDW last week, Disney always made us tap in twice. Sometimes the second scanner was not used, but a CM with an IPad would scan it ahead of the second tapstyle. We used G+/ILL heavily for 7 days and this was our experience every single time.

I only read a few of those comments but wow. People can be so rude.

Update with my park experience:

I went to Universal this weekend and got the AAP like usual at guest services. The in-park process is exactly the same for me as it was before, except I had to show them the IBCCES card and they also wrote my case number on the AAP card, which they had never done before.

I was curious to see how many people would have the AAP during this trip, so I kept an eye out. It was a moderately busy day and I do feel like I saw a lot less people requesting return times. There used to be long lines at Hagrid’s for return times, but I only saw a few groups coming up. Other popular rides like Mummy and Gringotts that I usually see multiple groups getting return times for didn’t even have anyone there requesting.

I’ve also been noticing more people with the gold AAP, which is something I started seeing within the last month. I wonder if the documentation process is allowing easier access to the gold AAP for those that have been needing it, which would be a wonderful outcome of this whole change!

I want to make clear that there wasn’t a lack of people with an AAP, only a lesser amount than before. Obviously this was only one day and I’m not able to see everything people are doing at all the rides, but it was interesting considering my previous observations of AAP users was pretty consistent.

For context, I’m an AP holder and I go to the parks quite often.

More thoughts:

I wonder if the lesser number of AAP users at the park is a result of eliminating abusers who can’t prove they need the pass**, preventing people who genuinely do need the pass but don’t have access to documentation from getting it, or people waiting on their doctors to send documentation/get approved from IBCCES and Universal.
I’m interested to see how this plays out in the coming months, especially at HHN.

**I’m aware it’s probably not as abused as people claim, but there’s been plenty of anecdotal experience from people with acquaintances who admit to abusing the system. In fact, I’ve met some of these people myself.

Last edited:

I'm glad that your experience sounded relatively painless. I believe that the AAP change was brought on by abusers of the system and Universal believes that requiring one to produce medical documentation will greatly cut down on such abuses. It is easy for someone to make up an excuse why they should get an AAP, but it is another thing to get a medical professional to put a fake diagnosis on paper.

Update with my park experience:

I went to Universal this weekend and got the AAP like usual at guest services. The in-park process is exactly the same for me as it was before, except I had to show them the IBCCES card and they also wrote my case number on the AAP card, which they had never done before.

I was curious to see how many people would have the AAP during this trip, so I kept an eye out. It was a moderately busy day and I do feel like I saw a lot less people requesting return times. There used to be long lines at Hagrid’s for return times, but I only saw a few groups coming up. Other popular rides like Mummy and Gringotts that I usually see multiple groups getting return times for didn’t even have anyone there requesting.

I’ve also been noticing more people with the gold AAP, which is something I started seeing within the last month. I wonder if the documentation process is allowing easier access to the gold AAP for those that have been needing it, which would be a wonderful outcome of this whole change!

I want to make clear that there wasn’t a lack of people with an AAP, only a lesser amount than before. Obviously this was only one day and I’m not able to see everything people are doing at all the rides, but it was interesting considering my previous observations of AAP users was pretty consistent.

For context, I’m an AP holder and I go to the parks quite often.

What is a gold AAP?

What is a gold AAP?
I’m honestly still unclear about what it officially does, as I didn’t even know it existed until I saw a stack of them on the desk at guest services a couple months ago. Then I noticed more people walking around with them.

I’ve read online it allows the guest to access the attraction through the exit and then wait a few ride cycles before boarding, but nothing was ever confirmed. I saw one guest use it to access Hargid’s at the same time I was last weekend. It looked like they brought them up through the exit instead of the Express lane. So perhaps that is it’s official use.

I'm glad that your experience sounded relatively painless. I believe that the AAP change was brought on by abusers of the system and Universal believes that requiring one to produce medical documentation will greatly cut down on such abuses. It is easy for someone to make up an excuse why they should get an AAP, but it is another thing to get a medical professional to put a fake diagnosis on paper.
I think the fact that they implemented this change so close to HHN also points to the theory that it’s to cut down abuse. Anecdotally, it seems to be the time when it’s most abused, especially by teens.

What is a gold AAP?

I went looking and found this on youtube. Funny enough she needs a pass for bathrooms reasons. They denied me a pass for my bathroom needs. I don’t need to have that gold pass. The orange one would be fine as I don’t plan to ride a ride has a really long posted wait time cause I know the express pass line they have you enter would be not as long as the time posted but long enough I would avoid it.

I went looking and found this on youtube. Funny enough she needs a pass for bathrooms reasons. They denied me a pass for my bathroom needs. I don’t need to have that gold pass. The orange one would be fine as I don’t plan to ride a ride has a really long posted wait time cause I know the express pass line they have you enter would be not as long as the time posted but long enough I would avoid it.

I see this was posted on June 20th. I wonder if they would still grant her the gold or orange AAP with the new system.

I don’t understand why even after providing medical documentation and the tiered accommodations, they can’t grant an AAP to those with bathroom issues.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter