Universal now requiring documentation be sent to a third party for accessibility

those "family" bathrooms are handicapped and I have the story which has been told here many times where family was unhappy with how long it was taking me. long story short child did not make it and they expected me to pay for new clothes for her which I did not do. so they made a great decision for her even if it did not seem like it at the time
The first choice would’ve been for a family/companion restroom, because it was my son taking his daughter to the restroom. He didn’t really want to have to take her into a men’s room, but she can’t go into the ladies room alone, due to sensory issues with the auto-flush.

Apparently it was kinda comical with him— a 6’2”, pretty big guy— trying to move into the back corner of the stall and hold his hand over the sensor so she wouldn’t freak if the toilet flushed.
He figures anyone in the stall next door probably thought “what the heck?” since once she was sitting on the toilet, her feet would’ve been obscured, but his big boats were in a very unusual place indeed. :laughing:

We were in CA, and the reality is that Disney (esp. at DCA) has put in quite a lot of “companion restrooms” as they are labeled, because in California, it is completely legal for an opposite gender carer to accompany someone into their correct gendered restroom. So legally, he could have chosen to accompany dgd into the ladies’ room. Of course, that would generally cause a much more awkward situation. Since there seem to be more companion bathrooms at DL/DCA, than at WDW, it seems logical that it was done in order to minimize the instances of that happening.

But if you would rather have father’s bringing their little girls into the ladies’ room, I guess you have a right to that preference. To be frank, a man in the ladies room is considerably less likely to accidentally see any “private parts” than a girl in the mens room. So logically, it would be a better option. Unfortunately, logic is typically in pretty short supply anywhere people are pants-less. :rotfl:

I assume that’s what you were commenting about, because I am handicapped, so although some parents get irritated that I was in there alone, I have a good reason, and in the end, I’m not gonna waste time trying to explain it to them.

I’m not sure how any of that relates to the parents of another child choosing to wait the indeterminate amount of time for a companion restroom, and then blaming you for their choice. Assuming that child was not in a wheelchair that was too big to fit in a standard handicap stall, or didn’t have some other particularly unusual needs, the parent could’ve done as my son did and taken them into a regular bathroom. Sometimes it comes down to “needs must”. It makes no sense to let your kid have an accident if there are toilets you could use right next door… :confused:

Just like I’m not going to stand 3 deep in a line for a companion bathroom when my need is urgent… depending on the particular restroom, it can be a easier to spread out my supplies, but I can do it in the regular stall if necessary. It’s just trickier. But self-cathing in a public toilet is a challenge and never any fun, no matter what. Most places, where family restrooms are less common, I’ll try to choose a stall with a changing table, or one of the kiddie seats that fold down like a shelf.

Luckily, (knock wood) my neurogenic bladder has been behaving itself lately, so on this last trip, I had no big issues <woot, woot>.

I think the disconnect comes because there are websites and FB groups who refer to them as “family restrooms” rather than what we know — “companion” restrooms. I think even the Mom’s Panel (or whatever the new name is) will tell people about the Companion Restrooms when asked if WDW has “family” restrooms.

No excuse for trying to rush someone or expecting compensation. But I do see why so many families head to these restrooms.
If I’m remembering right, at DLR at least there are some marked as “ “Family”, while others are marked “Companion.”

Thinking back, there may have been at least one that was labeled “Companion/Family Restroom”. They have signage which shows: 2 adult stick figures, a child stick figure, and a wheelchair.

So, it does seem they intend them to be used by families.

Last edited:
The first choice would’ve been for a family/companion restroom, because it was my son taking his daughter to the restroom. He didn’t really want to have to take her into a men’s room, but she can’t go into the ladies room alone, due to sensory issues with the auto-flush.

Apparently it was kinda comical with him— a 6’2”, pretty big guy— trying to move into the back corner of the stall and hold his hand over the sensor so she wouldn’t freak if the toilet flushed.
He figures anyone in the stall next door probably thought “what the heck?” since once she was sitting on the toilet, her feet would’ve been obscured, but his big boats were in a very unusual place indeed. :laughing:

We were in CA, and the reality is that Disney (esp. at DCA) has put in quite a lot of “companion restrooms” as they are labeled, because in California, it is completely legal for an opposite gender carer to accompany someone into their correct gendered restroom. So legally, he could have chosen to accompany dgd into the ladies’ room. Of course, that would generally cause a much more awkward situation. Since there seem to be more companion bathrooms at DL/DCA, than at WDW, it seems logical that it was done in order to minimize the instances of that happening.

But if you would rather have father’s bringing their little girls into the ladies’ room, I guess you have a right to that preference. To be frank, a man in the ladies room is considerably less likely to accidentally see any “private parts” than a girl in the mens room. So logically, it would be a better option. Unfortunately, logic is typically in pretty short supply anywhere people are pants-less. :rotfl:

I assume that’s what you were commenting about, because I am handicapped, so although some parents get irritated that I was in there alone, I have a good reason, and in the end, I’m not gonna waste time trying to explain it to them.

I’m not sure how any of that relates to the parents of another child choosing to wait the indeterminate amount of time for a companion restroom, and then blaming you for their choice. Assuming that child was not in a wheelchair that was too big to fit in a standard handicap stall, or didn’t have some other particularly unusual needs, the parent could’ve done as my son did and taken them into a regular bathroom. Sometimes it comes down to “needs must”. It makes no sense to let your kid have an accident if there are toilets you could use right next door… :confused:

Just like I’m not going to stand 3 deep in a line for a companion bathroom when my need is urgent… depending on the particular restroom, it can be a easier to spread out my supplies, but I can do it in the regular stall if necessary. It’s just trickier. But self-cathing in a public toilet is a challenge and never any fun, no matter what. Most places, where family restrooms are less common, I’ll try to choose a stall with a changing table, or one of the kiddie seats that fold down like a shelf.

Luckily, (knock wood) my neurogenic bladder has been behaving itself lately, so on this last trip, I had no big issues <woot, woot>.
please reread my story of what happened to me with a companion bathroom which I need and yes I take longer than normal. if he had been behind me with her needing to go that bad what would he have been doing when I took longer than he planned? I agree with his choice and would have expected my husband to make same choice. now how would you react to someone pounding on the door telling you to hurry when you are having a problem? and then when you do come out to be told you owe them new clothes for their child because you took so long. and I am not the only who have had people try to hurry them when the need more time

I’ll probably wish I’d read the next 40+ pages before commenting… but here goes—

Except DAS is not really the same as LL or FP. With those you are offered the next available time. At DL two weeks ago, there were instances where the next available LL was in 5 mins. Sometimes it was hours away.

DAS is solely based on the current standby time. It is designed that way because the whole point is that you are still “waiting in line” you are just waiting elsewhere. That’s why you can repeat them. Because G+ is giving you a shortcut pass at a specified time. But DAS is the same as standing in the standby line… you haven’t shortcut anything. You are just “standing (or sitting) by” the standby line. Most of the time, the wait is longer than the standby time, especially if you need an ADA ride vehicle.

I miss waiting in the standby queues at DL. Many of the new LL are nicely themed, but for example at HM, I missed showing all of the cool cemetery theming to dgd and ddl. And Imagineering are about to expand and refresh all that theming to be even more immersive. But I’ll never see it, unless they also redo the queue to be ADA compliant. Which is unlikely, given that they use every inch of that super tight queue, and then some.

Indy is another queue I would love to see again, but I cannot stand that long and even if I get there early, there are elevation changes throughout that are trip hazards due to drop foot.

Jungle cruise has stairs that I can’t climb easily. I tried in 2015, and I missed a step and fell, scraping my leg, and hurting my wrist.

I miss out trying to look for hidden Mickeys in the queues too. Which means my whole party misses out. There’s no way for the rest of my party to go thru the line and have me join them at the LL merge point either, so that they could see the theming without me. So many lines are not accessible to scooters and wheelchairs. I have other issues that qualify me for DAS but I use a scooter to not slow everyone else down, and give me the stamina to do more than one day in the parks. But if my disability was manageable with only the scooter, I’d have the added disadvantage of having to go to a GS kiosk or to the ride itself to get every one of my return times, instead of being able to do it in the app. Which takes more time and effort that non-disabled guests don’t have to deal with.

So I find it to be a gross misrepresentation to categorize DAS as the equivalent of Genie+.

It seems like there’s always been this sense that DAS is some special super pass that gives us a giant advantage. I just don’t see it that way. Two weeks ago was the least crowded I’ve seen Disneyland in probably 20 years. And still in 5 days, using DAS & G+ we got less done than we ever did back in the Happy Hearts days of going for 1-2 days max. with 4 kids under 8-10 y.o. in tow & before we knew anything like the GAC existed.

Even with DAS, we still purchase Genie+, to optimize our day. One does not take the place of the other. Sure, some people are able to manage using just G+. And many people feel like G+ is unneeded with their DAS… but that was the same before when FP was a free program and accommodations were given via GAC.

I don’t care if Universal changes to the new system, I’m not sure we’ll ever go back to USO (although the roller coasters were awesome!) and I know I won’t be going to USH. I would like to go back to Magic Mountain someday, because that’s where DH and I met… but since I’m the extreme coaster lover & DH had disc replacements in his neck which make wild roller coasters an unwise ride choice, I kinda doubt we’ll ever go back there either.

But I sincerely hope that Disney stays with their current DAS procedures. I do not feel like it’s too easy to get. One of my sons has a 50% success rate with it being granted due to autism. First time was in person pre-pandemic. The CM told him that since he was able to ask for it, his autism wasn’t severe enough to qualify, he never even got to explain exactly why he was asking. The next time (after the pandemic), the CM was impressed that he was aware of and could voice his needs. Both times he had to write out ahead of time what his explanation would be re: his limitations in order to be able to clearly communicate them. But he had very different results. Autism is not some magic word that gets you DAS. Neither is any other condition.
DAS cuts 15 minutes off the advertised wait time (10 minutes plus users can check in 5 min early). DAS users can maximize their time by waiting in line for their next attraction while still riding the previous attraction. DAS users can eat a meal/snack, shop, ride another attraction…all while “waiting in line”. DAS users get LL access to attractions that don’t have G+ (e.g. meeting Minnie & Mickey at Hollywood Studios). Get G+ in Orlando is oftentimes not available in 5 minutes. Most newbie G+ users in Orlando get 2-3 LL’s per day. So yes, DAS is not equivalent to G+. It is much better. Not only because it’s free but because you can ride/enjoy way more.

DAS cuts 15 minutes off the advertised wait time (10 minutes plus users can check in 5 min early). DAS users can maximize their time by waiting in line for their next attraction while still riding the previous attraction. DAS users can eat a meal/snack, shop, ride another attraction…all while “waiting in line”. DAS users get LL access to attractions that don’t have G+ (e.g. meeting Minnie & Mickey at Hollywood Studios). Get G+ in Orlando is oftentimes not available in 5 minutes. Most newbie G+ users in Orlando get 2-3 LL’s per day. So yes, DAS is not equivalent to G+. It is much better. Not only because it’s free but because you can ride/enjoy way more.
Except you’ve left out of the equation that DAS (and AAP) users have a disability, and that disability doesn’t just disappear outside of the line. The average DAS/AAP user is NOT doing/enjoying way more, actually even with DAS/AAP we are doing less than the average park person. When I used DAS in Disneyland I was on average thirty minutes past my return time, not because I was off doing other things but because with my disability I needed that time to self regulate and even be in a place I could enjoy a ride. I then had to wait through the fast pass lanes, which in some cases were thirty minutes themselves. Painting DAS as this magic park strategy that lets people do more is harmful to people who need it who otherwise would not be able to experience much at all. It’s not the same as Genie + which skips the standby line. We are still waiting, often much longer than what most others are, and we are not all able to just go off to enjoy other things during that time.

Also, I’m not sure how this thread turned to DAS….it is supposed to be about universals aap changes….

Last edited:
I, for one, never screw with karma. Just something to think about.” :teeth:
Same. However, I’d also never dream of confronting another guest either. Although it does surely sound as tho your intentions are good, it might not be well-received by many. You do you.:thumbsup2

If something particularly egregious happened, especially if it fell under the “if you see something, say something” arena; of course I’d contact the nearest CM.

Otherwise, I’m of the: I’m on vacation, it’s not my job to educate the clueless among us.

Even in the happiest place on earth, have observed my share of people who have exhibited some shocking behaviors. :sad2: Blame it on their norm or the heat, too much money spent, general frustration, who knows?

However, when people are under stress, they often can snap and act out inappropriately. IMO Disney/universal/seaworld all “got this”, far better than me trying to personally mitigate a situation that could quickly escalate.

Last edited:

I thought they were labeled as companion bathrooms?
A companion can be a parent helping a child. Or any other mix of ppl tbh. They aren't exclusively for folks with disabilities and their party. Plus in most places they are called family bathrooms.

TBH even a year ago I wouldn't even have thought of all the needs that can be met with a shared bathroom, I've learned a lot on this forum in that regard. And I'm certain that "the person before me might be self-cathetering" is not something most ppl think of.

Personally family with more than 1 little kid/big wheelchairs is all I thought those bathrooms were for.

And to be honest, I wouldn't like to label them as "disabilities bathrooms". Seems... othering.

Just one thing to point out before redirecting this back to Universal as the main topic of the thread...

The difference at WDW is that WDW "companion" restrooms are lacking what many/most "family" restrooms include. Primarily there is no changing table or counter and no child-sized toilet or sink. However, I do agree that anyone should be allowed to use them provided that party has a need for the larger space -- whether that is to maneuver a wheelchair, helper of a different gender or privacy/space for needed supplies, etc. It should not be viewed as a changing room to get kids in/out of costumes, tweens/teens changing or fixing their hair, etc. If the line or the wait is too long, guests should always consider another restroom facility that has multiple stalls available; there is almost always one nearby the companion restrooms.

Now... let's try to get this back to Universal. I am not familiar with their restrooms so I can't comment...

I thought they were labeled as companion bathrooms?
They are, but that doesn’t mean only those with companions can use them, just as stalls marked as handicapped aren’t restricted to only those with a handicap.

I personally don’t think I’ve ever used a companion restroom, but faced with using a companion restroom or leaving the park to return to my hotel to use the restroom, I wouldn’t hesitate to do so.

If I’m in line for a stalll and the handicap stall is the next one open, I don’t hesitate to use it, unless there is someone behind me with an obvious need for the stall.

I don’t see an issue with either

Now... let's try to get this back to Universal. I am not familiar with their restrooms so I can't comment...
Universal does not have Companion Bathrooms. They have a handful of Family Restrooms and not all are easy to find.

Studios has one at the front of the park at First Aid and then about 4 throughout the park.

Islands has one at the front of the park at First Aid and one at the First Aid in the Lost Continent (hard to find).

They are much more difficult to manage than Disney and a big reason we recently let our AP expire. I was going more often by myself with DS and this was an added stress, especially at Islands since most the park offers nothing. Between the extra walking and high usage by families it became an issue.

So it looks like Universal is rolling out updates to the AAP in stages.

I was there on Saturday and went to get my AAP and found out about the following changes:

1. All members of your AAP party must be physically present to have their passes scanned. Previously, I have been able to show a picture of their pass and that was completely fine.

2. The only place you can get the AAP issued is at the main guest services desk. The guest service kiosks can only add or remove guests from the AAP going forward.

3. Your pass can only be associated with one active AAP at a time. My friend’s pass was associated with an AAP I got two weeks ago and it hadn’t expired yet, and they had to remove them from the old AAP to put them on the new one.

The guest service employee let me do 1 and 2 one last time, but she said next time I would need to follow their new rules. I also asked if these changes might mean they are also going to move to an app based system at some point and she said “I don’t know, but we definitely need to get the hang of this system before we start moving to anything else!”.

The guest service employee let me do 1 and 2 one last time
That’s how it worked for my group starting 9/5 & years back under old system. This, despite others insisting they never had to follow that procedure

Ticket or AP holders absolutely must be presented. You can edit afterwards but, another visit to GS is involved

That’s how it worked for my group starting 9/5 & years back under old system. This, despite others insisting they never had to follow that procedure

Ticket or AP holders absolutely must be presented. You can edit afterwards but, another visit to GS is involved
I guess UO decided they had become too lax on procedures. I do find it frustrating that we can’t get an AAP issued at the GS kiosks anymore. You would think it would cut down wait times to have more locations.

That’s interesting that they told you that’s how it worked on 9/5. I used a picture of a friend’s ticket on 10/1 with no push back.

That’s interesting that they told you that’s how it worked on 9/5. I used a picture of a friend’s ticket on 10/1 with no push back.
What’s ironic is I specifically decided to request it that trip, since several here said that’s how it worked for them

No big deal, considering the accommodation is so helpful to many, the offset in time is more than a wash IMO

Just wanted to give a quick update here. I noticed I had a case number assigned on my IBCCES card despite not having had a call yet.

Where do you find a "case number"?
My IBCCES app went through and I received my permanent IAC #, but I'm not exactly sure what next steps are. I assume I may get a phone call or email from Universal, but I don't know for sure. I also don't know when exactly to expect that. I'm just over 30 days out from my trip.

It sort of sounds like from your description that there is somewhere I can check for more information??

I just applied for my IBCCES Friday evening, was approved by Saturday, and already had an email from both Universals early this morning (Sunday). They seem to be processing things much faster than a couple of months ago. Also, it seems IBCCES has fixed some of the problems with wording and their app that others had. I was able to submit (and see/have accepted) a multi-page PDF for my documentation, and they seemed to have adjusted the phrasing of the needs to more clearly distinguish between physical/cognitive reasons for not being able to "stand" in line. Altogether so far a pretty seemless process, although I really don't like that my documentation is now living on the internet :/

I have no idea when I'll get phone calls from Universal. I don't have specific dates for my trip, and just wrote in my reply that knowing if I have accommodations will effect my travel plans. This is especially true for Universal Hollywood as I had a really bad experience there last summer due to sensory overload, and there's no way I would be able to return there without adequate accommodation :/

Wanted to chime in and share that Universal now treats employees and those on comp passes as less worthy than others. Since they’re not paying, Universal Team Members now aren’t allowed to have Attraction Assistance Passes for more than 1 day at a time, and have to re-visit guest services each time they want to visit the parks and use accommodations (was just told this from a guest services coordinator).

I think that is similar at WDW. I recall a poster who regularly uses CM comp passes has mentioned needing to renew DAS every day.
There technically is a way at WDW, but very few CMs allow it, it appears that it is strictly at their discretion.

DL has a card that they will give the DAS holder that they can simply link to their Disneyland account and any tickets linked to that account can be linked to the DAS and works for multiple days once initially linked. The only time you have to go back is either after the card expires (same time frame as APs) or if the people being linked have changed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter