Universal now requiring documentation be sent to a third party for accessibility

I am going with my 33 year old special needs adult son in February 2024. I tried to get a note from his DR, for this new type pass, but they looked at my long request note and said bring it to discuss at his physical (December). Now I have read sometimes at the park it is challenged again? It will be interesting to go thru this and see how it works. I am not that concerned about qualifying. Our 6 Flags uses the same policy, we have not been there in years though.

PS I get agitated trying to access the family restrooms but try and just power thru, taking him into the ladies room. I see weird things like families of 4 (mom dad girl boy not toddlers either) exiting family restrooms (do they all pee together? but who knows, one child may need lots of help so who cares). I will say apologies in advance but A. We may be in there as long as 20 minutes B.You would not want to enter immediately afterwards and I clean up, I promise. I am glad newer airport terminals have these restrooms in place, the old ones are so difficult. PET PEEVE though: every one I used at airports last trip reeked of smoke! UGH, once it was an employee too.

Since they’re not paying, Universal Team Members now aren’t allowed to have Attraction Assistance Passes for more than 1 day at a time, and have to re-visit guest services each time they want to visit the parks and use accommodations
I really do appreciate the park workers. Feel
for most, it has to be a labor of love; as their pay is generally not what most consider to be a living wage

However, while standing in untold hours long GS lines over the years; have often mused on the following idea…

As part of training, It would do well for all park employees to be on the other side of the desk, just once, to experience that same wait in line the guests often face

I really do appreciate the park workers. Feel
for most, it has to be a labor of love; as their pay is generally not what most consider to be a living wage

However, while standing in untold hours long GS lines over the years; have often mused on the following idea…

As part of training, It would do well for all park employees to be on the other side of the desk, just once, to experience that same wait in line the guests often face
I think all park employees should be required to spend an entire day in the park (paid training and all costs covered) from park opening to park closing in a mobility device and requesting a DAS/Whatever each park calls their assistance program. And this should be across the industry for whatever park(s) they work at.

Off topic slightly but I am a retired CM using guest passes at WDW for my special needs son, and bring him in at DL using their different procedure (just my ID and guests enter with me). There is no getting around needing to get a new DAS every day. For one thing, the guest passes are not assigned to him specifically until we enter (WDW)and he fingerscans in with that specific guest pass, and he is a ghost at DL until we enter park and we are handed a one day ticket that I can then assign to him on app and get DAS, Genie.

It is a very confusing situation that I have been dealing with for over 10 years. ONCE at WDW we were handed a card that was somehow assigned him DAS status. When we asked again, I was denied and was told that was only intended for kids under 3 who have no park ticket to assign the DAS to. And that card thing was limited only to my trip dates. Makes sense I guess, but I was so thrilled to have it that one trip! Far worse is CM tickets and park reservations, but I am grateful beyond words for my MEP.

Next trip is universal, so I can try their new procedure. We are going midweek and hope the lines aren't too bad. We will manage!

I just read a popular Disney blogger discussing this issue today. He says WDW is cracking down on the DAS system due to such an huge increase and rampant abuse. I must say I agree. Almost every family I know has some sort of medical issues, so should all of them be excused from waiting in line? With 20% of the population having anxiety issues, 9% with ADHD, 15% with IBS issues and 8 out of 10 people suffering from back issues at some point in their lives, I’m not sure who would be left to wait in regular lines. There is a big difference between being uncomfortable waiting in lines than not being able to wait at all. The sad part is that the people who will be hurt the most from changes are the people who have actual disabilities where they can’t wait in line - not just those who would feel better not having to.

Question for the documentation....I will be going to Universal with my 22 year old son, who has autism. He just completed his certificate in June, so is no longer in school. If I submit his last IEP, will this be acceptable? As for contact information, I am assuming putting his teacher's information is the only solution, as the county representative will not even know him to answer the questions. Any advice would be appreciated.

As a backup, I am trying to have his prescribing doctor write a note, but that is proving more difficult to get.
You could upload and see. My boys were accepted right away (within a day for their permanent pass) with their EIPs. Since it might not be current, they may call or reject it, but then you could send the doctor's note. If the IEP says Autism, they might be ok with it, since they know the condition isn't going away. However, for annual renewals, you might want to ask for notes at annual doctor visits just to have for things that come up during the year (not just theme parks).

I just read a popular Disney blogger discussing this issue today. He says WDW is cracking down on the DAS system due to such an huge increase and rampant abuse. I must say I agree. Almost every family I know has some sort of medical issues, so should all of them be excused from waiting in line? With 20% of the population having anxiety issues, 9% with ADHD, 15% with IBS issues and 8 out of 10 people suffering from back issues at some point in their lives, I’m not sure who would be left to wait in regular lines. There is a big difference between being uncomfortable waiting in lines than not being able to wait at all. The sad part is that the people who will be hurt the most from changes are the people who have actual disabilities where they can’t wait in line - not just those who would feel better not having to.
Those bloggers are so silly, IMO. Unless they work in the actual offices that discuss and deal with these issues, it's all hearsay. They are looking for views, ad hits, etc. How would tightening the requirements for DAS hurt those that really need it, BTW?

Who qualifies for DAS is subjective. Tighten the circle (no longer issue DAS for bathroom issues) and fewer people receive DAS. What happens to/with those people that still have bathroom issues, but now no DAS?

I am a wheelchair user and get claustrophobic when in crowds of people standing, in part because my nose is at the level of other people's waists. And people tend to stink when they've been sweating in park lines and not eating well. I have a sensitive nose. Sometimes, the smell makes me want to throw up.

Do I qualify for the DAS today? How about tomorrow if Disney changes qualification criteria?

What does "can't" mean, in the context of a queue and an accommodation to wait elsewhere? Is a bladder/digestive tract issue where there's risk of exposure to bodily fluid a "can't?" Why and how is that different than an anxiety-related concern regarding crowds or confined spaces?

Last edited:
Who qualifies for DAS is subjective. Tighten the circle (no longer issue DAS for bathroom issues) and fewer people receive DAS.

I am a wheelchair user and get claustrophobic when in crowds of people standing, in part because my nose is at the level of other people's waists. And people tend to stink when they've been sweating in park lines and not eating well. I have a sensitive nose. Sometimes, the smell makes me want to throw up.

Do I qualify for the DAS today? How about tomorrow, if Disney changes qualification criteria?
And we are starting to see the ramifications of not allowing the DAS for bathroom issues, as people are going to the bathroom in the queues, as DH predicted would start happening.

And we are starting to see the ramifications of not allowing the DAS for bathroom issues, as people are going to the bathroom in the queues, as DH predicted would start happening.
I saw that on a youtube channel yesterday. People are now defecating in queues. Wow.

That is a person with no manners and no personal responsibility. Not something to blame on the DAS issue.
Exactly.

Most people with DAS issues are mortified enough when they have to quickly push past people to get out of the queue in order to get to the washroom because they’ve had an accident. Doubt they would purposely pull down their pants and go in the queue.

Someone who *intentionally* defecates in the queue does not belong at Disney World period. Accidents happen, especially with kids, but to do it on purpose (to prove a point about DAS or otherwise) is just disgusting.
I personally agree with you, and I am not saying they are doing it to prove a point, in fact they may indeed have had an accident. It is also possible that they knew they wouldn't make it to the bathroom in time anyway and so they chose to go there instead of making the attempt.

But if absolutely intentional, that is definitely wrong, but I do think we are going to see more of it with the policy as it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter