Universal often follows Disney's Lead...

During the regular day at universal, we did t see smokers ‘out and abojt’ but as soon as it transitioned to horror nights, they were smoking EVERYWHERE

The special effects / fog machines gave me more sickness than smokers (which I didn't see any in the three times I've went but maybe I was lucky) and those machines probably give more chance of asthma attacks for asthmatics as well.

It's the main reason why I've stopped trying to go. I don't know why, but the smells are just sickening.

However, I've heard others claim that about HHN with smokers too, so maybe it's true. They probably have too many people out scaring people to regulate it, or giving out shots.

We found the TM were pretty quick at dealing with smokers in the lines especially on HHN. We go many nights over the event and it is an issue, but one they will deal with if they see it.

We had one guy close by us vaping and he was told stop or leave.....he stopped. Same with smokers. It is a problem though, but mainly folks thinking rules don't apply to them.....

But when we or others we know have informed TM, they will act. But it is an issue.

We found the TM were pretty quick at dealing with smokers in the lines especially on HHN. We go many nights over the event and it is an issue, but one they will deal with if they see it.

We had one guy close by us vaping and he was told stop or leave.....he stopped. Same with smokers. It is a problem though, but mainly folks thinking rules don't apply to them.....

But when we or others we know have informed TM, they will act. But it is an issue.

They did take care of it quickly - it was just such a shock to see how many people just didn't CARE that they were in a line and smoking!

They did take care of it quickly - it was just such a shock to see how many people just didn't CARE that they were in a line and smoking!

That`s so true......never ceases to amaze us when folks think they can do as they like with total disregard for others.

It`s not pleasant...….I don't mind being the unpopular one and reporting them.....::yes::

That`s so true......never ceases to amaze us when folks think they can do as they like with total disregard for others.

It`s not pleasant...….I don't mind being the unpopular one and reporting them.....::yes::

Me neither - I have asthma so it really effects me

Me neither - I have asthma so it really effects me

Yep, that can`t be any fun at all.

It seems to trigger such a bad reaction with asthma. For us it`s just we detest the smell....it gets everywhere and you can smell it from so far away....following someone walking who is smoking is vile, so you have my full sympathy with having to deal with it medically.

It seems to trigger such a bad reaction with asthma. For us it`s just we detest the smell....it gets everywhere and you can smell it from so far away....following someone walking who is smoking is vile, so you have my full sympathy with having to deal with it medically.

Absolutely! I'm severely allergic to mint/menthol, so when someone is smoking (or vaping) menthols, it can set off a bad reaction (usually just nose bleeds and my allergy cough, but can be anaphylaxis). :(

For HHN, I wear a medical mask - it HELPS - especially in the "fog" stuff that can REALLY get me going, but don't STOP all of it :)

I've been reading these threads with interest for a while. I'm finally chiming in about the smoking policy.
First of all, I am not a smoker. No one in my family is a smoker, except for my brother and he won't go to Disney anyway.
I think that America is still a land of free choice. I may not agree with smoking, or drinking for that matter, but that's MY opinion. This is a choice that people make, right or wrong. I remember when I was a child, everyone smoked on tv, and all the movie stars smoked too. There were billboards promoting smoking with the Marlboro Man and others. I remember when anyone, whatever the age, could go to a vending machine and purchase cigs for 25 cents a pack!!!! In that time (60's) many people got hooked on smoking. Now there are those who are so addicted that it is impossible to quit for them, for whatever the reason! I don't think people who don't have an addiction can truly understand why they can't "just quit, it's easy". Please have compassion. I think that Disney needs to have a smoking room with ventilation carrying the smoke away from the guests, but available for smokers. Or at the very least, have outside ones away from the main traffic areas. I just wonder what the foreign visitors who routinely smoke everywhere, will say and do? Just my opinion..

As for the original question: I think Universal will watch what happens with this ban. I can't see them doing this at all. The walk out past their parking garage is a long haul as it is. Also, I think Universal caters to an older crowd if that counts for anything.

Last edited:
I've been reading these threads with interest for a while. I'm finally chiming in about the smoking policy.
First of all, I am not a smoker. No one in my family is a smoker, except for my brother and he won't go to Disney anyway.
I think that America is still a land of free choice. I may not agree with smoking, or drinking for that matter, but that's MY opinion. This is a choice that people make, right or wrong. I remember when I was a child, everyone smoked on tv, and all the movie stars smoked too. There were billboards promoting smoking with the Marlboro Man and others. I remember when anyone, whatever the age, could go to a vending machine and purchase cigs for 25 cents a pack!!!! In that time (60's) many people got hooked on smoking. Now there are those who are so addicted that it is impossible to quit for them, for whatever the reason! I think that Disney needs to have a smoking room with ventilation carrying the smoke away from the guests, but available for smokers. Or at the very least, have outside ones away from the main traffic areas. I just wonder what the foreign visitors who routinely smoke everywhere, will say and do? Just my opinion..

As to what foreign visitors do, they’ll just have to deal with it......it’s quite simple.

Private park and private land and their rules, if they don’t like it stay away.......

The vast majority of smokers we see are younger people who cannot say they weren’t educated smoking is bad for you.....I’m 51 and all my life I’ve seen ads and campaigns to NOT smoke....it kills.

It affects others very negatively. Some may argue alcohol is bad for you.....true, but someone having a drink in the parks isn’t affecting the health of those around them, unless they are of course seriously intoxicated, something I have never seen at Universal. Even during HHN.

I think the argument gets off topic with the whole other things are bad for you though.......

The final point is simple......if smoking is banned and you can’t go without a cigarette you’ll have to go somewhere else......and businesses have every right in a free America to implement that ban. Then of course folks have the free choice to not go.

I believe they are still offering a DSA at Disney. As for being convenient, that’s up to the individual.......

I for one support anywhere that bans cigarettes everywhere.

Absolutely! I'm severely allergic to mint/menthol, so when someone is smoking (or vaping) menthols, it can set off a bad reaction (usually just nose bleeds and my allergy cough, but can be anaphylaxis). :(

For HHN, I wear a medical mask - it HELPS - especially in the "fog" stuff that can REALLY get me going, but don't STOP all of it :)

Both of these issues are horrible to deal with!!!

Nose bleeds, anaphylaxis and wearing masks are something entirely different to us just hating the smell......how awful to have to deal with that!

Never even thought of a mint/menthol allergy!

As to what foreign visitors do, they’ll just have to deal with it......it’s quite simple.

Private park and private land and their rules, if they don’t like it stay away.......

The vast majority of smokers we see are younger people who cannot say they weren’t educated smoking is bad for you.....I’m 51 and all my life I’ve seen ads and campaigns to NOT smoke....it kills.

It affects others very negatively. Some may argue alcohol is bad for you.....true, but someone having a drink in the parks isn’t affecting the health of those around them, unless they are of course seriously intoxicated, something I have never seen at Universal. Even during HHN.

I think the argument gets off topic with the whole other things are bad for you though.......

The final point is simple......if smoking is banned and you can’t go without a cigarette you’ll have to go somewhere else......and businesses have every right in a free America to implement that ban. Then of course folks have the free choice to not go.

I believe they are still offering a DSA at Disney. As for being convenient, that’s up to the individual.......

I for one support anywhere that bans cigarettes everywhere.

Hi Schumigirl: I've enjoyed your posts on the DIS, and feel everyone has a right to express how they feel, right or wrong:)
You are only 61, just a child :) I am going on 70 and I remember being out with the girls at age 16 and watching them buy cigs at the drive in movie for 25 cents a pack. Wow! It was easy to get addicted back then. My brother is very addicted and tried to quit several times.
I get the sense (not from you), that some people think smokers are poor and uneducated. LOL, makes me laugh. My brother owned a huge construction company that built most of the big hospitals in the South, so...………………
Anyway, we'll all see how this plays out at Disney. I don't feel it's worth getting upset about such as on the other thread about smoking on this site.
This, too, will pass. Disney will do what it wants, unless it upsets their bottom line.:)

Hi Schumigirl: I've enjoyed your posts on the DIS, and feel everyone has a right to express how they feel, right or wrong:)
You are only 61, just a child :) I am going on 70 and I remember being out with the girls at age 16 and watching them buy cigs at the drive in movie for 25 cents a pack. Wow! It was easy to get addicted back then. My brother is very addicted and tried to quit several times.
I get the sense (not from you), that some people think smokers are poor and uneducated. LOL, makes me laugh. My brother owned a huge construction company that built most of the big hospitals in the South, so...………………
Anyway, we'll all see how this plays out at Disney. I don't feel it's worth getting upset about such as on the other thread about smoking on this site.
This, too, will pass. Disney will do what it wants, unless it upsets their bottom line.:)

I’m 51 actually......:)

I don’t believe there is any specific group that are more prone to smoke.......it’s everywhere, if you are poorer you will find the money from somewhere.......

I never get into arguments about something that is opinion minded.......people won’t usually change my mind and vice versa......and yes, right and wrong is often clear to everyone.

I doubt this will affect Disney monetary wise......when the smoking ban came in over the UK, folks that smoked were outraged.......it’s normal now. People accept it. And this will happen with Disney.......more people don’t smoke these days and seems Disney will have already worked out this won’t affect them negatively in the hip pocket in any way.

As to whether Universal will do the same......we’ll have to wait for that one!

I’m 51 actually......:)

I don’t believe there is any specific group that are more prone to smoke.......it’s everywhere, if you are poorer you will find the money from somewhere.......

I never get into arguments about something that is opinion minded.......people won’t usually change my mind and vice versa......and yes, right and wrong is often clear to everyone.

I doubt this will affect Disney monetary wise......when the smoking ban came in over the UK, folks that smoked were outraged.......it’s normal now. People accept it. And this will happen with Disney.......more people don’t smoke these days and seems Disney will have already worked out this won’t affect them negatively in the hip pocket in any way.

As to whether Universal will do the same......we’ll have to wait for that one!

Oh, sorry I though you said 61!!!! You are right. No ones mind will change with all these heated arguments. I hate that threads get like this. They just tend to get pretty hateful and snarky. In the end, no one will change their opinion. It's great we live in a country where we can freely express our opinions:))
BTW, I always enjoyed your remarks on the Universal thread:) Very helpful for our first trip over there, and we absolutely love Universal.

Smoker here and I completely understand the reasoning behind the ban. I'm a rule follower who wouldn't even think about smoking outside of a designated area but there are so many who just don't care. So I'm blaming the ban on them lol. I have a feeling we're about to see people sneaking them in any quiet corner they can find especially when they're having a couple drinks in the World Showcase. We visit often and the number of people I see lighting up while strolling through the countries is crazy. I'm really curious to see how this plays out.

Smoker here and I completely understand the reasoning behind the ban. I'm a rule follower who wouldn't even think about smoking outside of a designated area but there are so many who just don't care. So I'm blaming the ban on them lol. I have a feeling we're about to see people sneaking them in any quiet corner they can find especially when they're having a couple drinks in the World Showcase. We visit often and the number of people I see lighting up while strolling through the countries is crazy. I'm really curious to see how this plays out.

I agree completely. I really hope Disney empowers the Cast Members to really police this. :)

What's incredible is the lack of empathy. I'm not even a smoker, who spoke of this on the Disney thread and it seemed like no sympathy, no empathy, or compassion at all. A few people did like my posts once in awhile. However, one person spoke to me privately with words of encouragement about my mother and sorry that it's something not only she had to deal with, but myself as well due to taking care of her. Their theory is that eventually as time goes by they will remove the ban. I doubt it. However, it's possible I suppose if they get sick enough having to regulate it they might. I've heard CMs are "thrilled" of having to enforce this and at this point feels more like babysitters more than anything.

I wrote in the thread regardless of how many signs they have up, it's still going to continue being an issue mainly in the previous smoking areas. They're going to need someone physically there to really ensure it's not done, as I told them they can easily play the "I'm a tourist", or "I didn't read that" card. Their argument is that if there's photos included it shouldn't be an issue. However, no offense, but those people, but I feel they never worked customer service job a day in their life. I shouldn't say everyone is guilty of it, but a lot of people play the "I don't know" card regardless (no matter how obvious it is), or lie to either get away with it, or get whatever they want.

Once again, obviously this is not all guests, but I'm sure of those who especially worked in CS know that guests, or customers can tend to be that way, or accidentally not notice these things themselves. For example, I know my father for example doesn't tend to read a lot of "do not" signs even though they seem clear as day to me.

It'll definitely be an interesting transition and interesting to see how it pans out with Universal as well.

Oh, sorry I though you said 61!!!! You are right. No ones mind will change with all these heated arguments. I hate that threads get like this. They just tend to get pretty hateful and snarky. In the end, no one will change their opinion. It's great we live in a country where we can freely express our opinions:))
BTW, I always enjoyed your remarks on the Universal thread:) Very helpful for our first trip over there, and we absolutely love Universal.

Thank you.....that’s so nice to read......

Yes, couldn’t quite get past the first few pages of other threads.......we roll different over here usually......:)

It will be interesting for sure to watch.....

I agree completely. I really hope Disney empowers the Cast Members to really police this. :)

Absolutely.....that’s the key. If people don’t follow rules in a place they are usually asked to leave......I do hope Disney throughly enforce this.....how exactly I’m not sure, but we back it 100%.

In the last studies I have seen smokers make about 17% less than non smokers - and 72% of smokers are in the low income category.
These types of studies only have so much value though as many people may not provide truthful answers or even participate in the poll
Also - was that the answer the poll was looking for in the first place.

That does not mean that I dont have a lot of friends that are Doctors and Nurses and they all pretty much smoke (or smoked in the past)
Many of them only smoke when drinking now.
Anyway - if asked they would all say they are non smokers.

Personally I feel that getting rid of smoking area will only make it more likely that people will find a spot to smoke regardless - so better to have a designated area to send them too

Well MO went 100% smoke free on hospital campuses a few years ago (actually AR did it first when I lived there)-huge growing pains for sure. And our town went mandatory no smoke for restaurants with >50 seats a few years ago as well. There were a few businesses affected (personally I thought there should have been a few exceptions, especially for the bars that very clearly catered to smokers), but overall the net effect was a vast improvement to bottom line. That's accounting for the few businesses that were adversely affected by smoking ban. But OMG the whining and crying that went on. I will say we personally go out more now that I know I won't have a chance of ending up in the ER for hours with breathing treatments (asthma). I do have friends that still smoke but they are very considerate of not smoking where they shouldn't. I used to use my rescue inhaler pre-emptively when we went out but don't need to now. Did use it once or twice on a JIC basis in Las vegas, but casinos seemed much less smoke filled. Didn't spend a whole lot of time there anyway, but hard to avoid when trying to get to room.

As far as the "choice" thing: I don't have a "choice" to NOT be adversely affected by your "choice" to spew chemicals in MY breathing space. So no, zero, zip, nada "empathy" from me here. Gasping for breath, thinking about each breath going in and out, all concentration to just that next breath in, trying not to panic at the smothering feeling of not being able to "breathe" is not a "choice" I would ever ever ever wish on anyone! While it generally takes prolonged smoke exposure to get to that point, it can happen at any time.
Personally I feel that getting rid of smoking area will only make it more likely that people will find a spot to smoke regardless - so better to have a designated area to send them too
Disney's areas really seemed well out of the way-I was never bothered by them. I'd rather the out of the way areas than "sneak" smokes all over too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter