Universal Orlando takes Disney by the ears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by EUROPA

For some reason I've found an admirer on the boards. Hate to tell you this but I could really care less if you went to IOA or Universal Studios. I have no reason to doubt that you went or if you had a good time or not. Sorry did you expect some sort of argument from me about you going? Sorry to disappoint you

So you didn't like it so what? Not everyone likes everything I'll admit that. We'll label you as a USF hatter or whatever fits. Sound good?

I see that you are the target demographic for US/IOA. ;)

And that would be hater, not hatter. I think the Mad Hatter hangs out by the Tea Cups.

Originally posted by HauntedMansionFan

Because Universal has claimed they want a larger piece of the action, yet they shut themselves off from larger demographics. [/B]

I'm sure they recruit the people who don't smile and treat guest correctly..you're probably right on that one.

And where does it say that they have not reached guest from other demographics? Cleary they don't market to Elderly or the lucrative 2-8 year old market...but when I'm in the parks there seems to be a wide range of ages enjoying the parks.

Originally posted by Eeyore2U

I see that you are the target demographic for US/IOA. ;)

And that would be hater, not hatter. I think the Mad Hatter hangs out by the Tea Cups.

Gasp a spelling error.

but when I'm in the parks there seems to be a wide range of ages enjoying the parks.
I guess that you and I go at different times of the year then. I'm not going to debate the issue as there is no point. I could further state my opinion, but I'm not going to, as I'm sure it would get my in trouble.

Boy Europa,

You sure don't like me. Are you related to Doggy, that one doesn't like me either.

I think the key difference is that IOA is so targeted that it will become a Drop and Run park for teens. Why do I want to waste time walking around watching my kid get soaked. What happens as these teens grow and have kids that don't meet height requirements? WDW is a much more diverse setting.

Europa, did you like the pics by the way.

I guess that you and I go at different times of the year then. I'm not going to debate the issue as there is no point. I could further state my opinion, but I'm not going to, as I'm sure it would get my in trouble.

I'm not debating what you experienced just the stereotyping . If you say that when you went there were only 15 year olds in the park then I guess I have to take your word for it. If you say when you went that every employee was all frowns then so be it. I don't think those reflect the demographics or the employees as a whole though at least in my experiences. So if I can agree to what you experienced can’t you belly up and agree with other people’s experiences, and try not to stereotype the customers or employees?

Originally posted by Eeyore2U

You sure don't like me. Are you related to Doggy, that one doesn't like me either.
I have no opinion of you..only noticed that you seem to have called my name out on quite a few post lately with some idea that we have some sort of cat and mouse game going on. Other then what you have written in the last few posts I could not tell you one issue that we've debated or agreed on. Sorry. I only speak on what people say I don't go hunting for them every time they post and disagree with what they say. Not that your doing that...the only thing I do remember is lately you seem to be calling my name.

WDW is a much more diverse setting.
A point nobody has disagreed with, and a pont I made earlier.

Europa, did you like the pics by the way

Sorry did not check them out :( I have my own pictures. :)

So if I can agree to what you experienced can’t you belly up and agree with other people’s experiences,
I never said that I agreed or disagreed with other people's experiences, I merely stated my own experience. Nor did I ask or request that you agree with me, you did that on your own. I simply stated what I've experiences when I go there. That is all, nothing more, nothing less.

Here is a vote for US/IOA, Disney is nice for kids and more "calm" people. MGM is my favorite Disney park by far. the shows there beat any shows that Universal offers. Magic Kingdom Is great for my 7 year old and my inlaws. The counter service food in Disney pales to Universal overall but Disney seems to be better than what they were 10 years ago when they could not make a hamburger. Epcot to me is a half day park. Animal Kingdom is nice and getting better. I been to disney 6 times and both WDW & Universal the last three times, I plan to go again next spring.

I never said that I agreed or disagreed with other people's experiences, I merely stated my own experience. Nor did I ask or request that you agree with me, you did that on your own. I simply stated what I've experiences when I go there. That is all, nothing more, nothing less.

Maybe you misspoke then when you said you did not want to debate the issue and the only issues we were speaking about were the demographics and employee "rudeness". Debate tends to imply that you have an alternate viewpoint about my experiences at Universal.

Debate tends to imply that you have an alternate viewpoint about my experiences at Universal.
No, debate tends to imply that based on information that I have, I would make an attempt to discredit your information. I did no such thing. You stated your experience, I stated mine. We may have had different experiences during our visits. That isn't a debate, expressing opinions. Now if I had stated that your opinion was wrong and gave a reason and some "facts", then that would be a debate. But I did no such thing. Let it go.

Pull out your big guns, boys, this one's really ugly...

There is one part of Universal that Universal can't "fix", that is tradition. When people see "Spirit", 60% of the nation thinks "Disney", unless it props up "DREAMWORKS" after the title. I have seen it tons of times. Anastasia, even Shrek. The fact is that when people thing animation, they think Disney. Even if it is for Dreamworks. So people go to Disney, not Universal, for these licences. People don't know to put two and two together. People won't get that Dr. Suse has a land in Universal, only that their kids read Mickey and Dr. Suse, and that Mickey has a park in Orlando, and Dr. Suse isn't in sight.

The other is just how we grow up. Think, Universal gets Gen X, Gen X gets kids, kids want Disney, not Universal, too scarry. They go to Disney for 15 years. They go to Universal (now not scarry) for 3, then they go to collage, grow up, get kids, and it repeats. Universal is betting on the crowd that goes to parks for only a few years, not a decade like Disney. Plus, 14 year olds are more apt to get their parents money to spend at M rated movies and other places than at a theme park.

Universal is aiming for the short end of the stick, and they won't budge.

Testtrack, you really nailed the demographic issue better than I've ever seen anyone do on this site - sure, we all stray from Disney, but then most of us have kids and decide we want the tried and true, the wholesome, the life affirming, etc. I'm not saying IOA isn't a great park - I personally can't wait to get there sometime, but when the world thinks of the ultimate theme park experience the name "Vivendi" doesn't pop into their heads, Disney does.:D

Originally posted by OnWithTheShow
BTW the two new confirmed attractions at Disney World are both going to be top notch and also expect to hear more official news soon. [/B]

Hmm...I'm curious now too. Are we talking Mission Space and Philarmagic (both top notch, without a doubt) here, or something else?

Originally posted by roymccoy
Disney has nothing to worry about...just as long as they stick to the quality and vision of Walt Disney. If Disney sticks to it's strengths and continues to spend large amounts of money on the parks and keep the quailty up they have nothing to worry about. If they are going to play Universals game, than they very well might come out the loser in the end.
Roy

Roy,
Well said. You just effectively summed up the point of (seemingly) half the posts I make on this board. Based on its own current business practices, I'd argue Disney still has plenty to worry about, but these are problems of Disney's own creation (park hours, Dinorama, and so on...). Let Universal have all the rides it wants - I'll take the Disney "attraction" instead!

This thread is focusing a bit too much on the Universal Studios aspect of things. I prefer that we not get in any deeper into the issue as it will steer us way off track for this forum. As such I've locked it up. If anyone wants to continue this discussion please pm me and I will transfer the appropriate responses to the Universal Board. In all honesty however, I believe that this one has exhausted itself in all constructive & informative aspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter