Universal Studio Orlando first timer

Steven G

DIS Veteran
Hi, I've been to USH many times, but first time to USO. I will be staying at Hard Rock Hotel, so am getting the Universal Express Unlimited for free, which I have also used at USH.

I will going in Februrary 2020.

My questsions are:

1) Is three days enough, given I have Universal Express? My other days I will be going to Kennedy Space Center, or relax at the hotel and citywalk.

2) Any recommendations for dining? I am already planning on Leaky Cauldron, Mythos, Lombards, and Cafe 4 (Marvel character dinner). I've been to Three Broomsticks a few times in USH. I figure I will also eat at the restaurants at the hard rock (kitchen ,etc.).

3) I'm thinking of VIP tour, but since I already have Universal Express, it's kind of hard to justify, it's just me and my son. The VIP tour in USH has definite benefits, like an extended studio tram tour, which this one doesn't have.

4) I'm thinking also of Blue Man Group, I figure it should be fun. Anything else I should consider outside the park, but still in resort. I will only have a car when we go to Kennedy Space center.

5) For Hagrid's coaster, is there going to be a Universal Express queue at some point? When do they usually open that up if so?

Last edited:
1. Should definitely be enough for the parks, especially if you have unlimited EP.
2. You seem to have selected a few decent choices. So, I'll spar the usual spiel I tell people.
3. I personally cannot comment on this one, as I've never done it, so do not know how worth it, or not worth it, it would be if you already have unlimited EP.
4. If you have enough time and enjoy the theme of rock (I mention it since you are staying at HRH), that to go enjoy the free tour at Hard Rock Cafe. I recommend grabbing a bite to eat there before enjoying the tour. The tour takes a decent amount of time and not only you learn a lot, but you see a lot that the public doesn't get to see.
5. It is unknown when Hagrid's coaster will get EP, but most people are hoping it'll occur by deep into fall, or the beginning of 2020.

Hi HRH is a fun resort. You have some good food choices. We also enjoy toothsome. We like leaky cauldron a little better.
We did the non private VIP tour 2 years ago. We used it as a express day since we eye staying at Cabana Bay. We also did a room at RPR for 2 days of the express pass. Personally we enjoyed the tour. There is a lot of history and information you learn. We got to tour underneath the mummy and see where they house and fix the cars for spiderman. We got 20 percent off merchandise that day. I am not sure if I would do it with express pass every day. I would recommend it over all.

3 days will be good with ep. We love putting time at the resort.
It usually has been 6 months to a year when they implement ep but Hagrids is a whole different ride with many more problems to work out then the othets were. I think this one is going to have it's own timetable.

Enjoy your trip.

It usually has been 6 months to a year when they implement ep but Hagrids is a whole different ride with many more problems to work out then the othets were. I think this one is going to have it's own timetable.

I forgot about the Hagrid coaster issues. I remember prior to that we were all hypothesizing that it would be about that time frame, but due to the complications it's been having I would imagine it would change things as you said, especially if things get serious and they take the original Jaws route of closing the ride for a certain amount of time in order to do some work on it.

Well, I don't think my son and I can handle anything more than an hour wait, so hopefully the Express pass is available in Februrary, or they can fix the issues to avoid so much downtime.

In February they should have it together by then, unless something dramatic happens. I do not know about less than an hour wait, so hopefully there will be EP by then. If anything you can always wait until it's almost closing and hop on. That's typically what I do for really popular rides. By then, most people have left, leaving, or watching the night shows.

During the 7 days I will be there is during President's Day, so I assume that at least a few days I am there it will be busy... which is another reason I was thinking of VIP. Especially if VIP is the only way to get on Hagrid without a wait (assuming the non-private VIP tour goes on the ride).

In February they should have it etogether by then, unless something dramatic happens. I do not know about less than an hour wait, so hopefully there will be EP by then. If anything you can always wait until it's almost closing and hop on. That's typically what I do for really popular rides. By then, most people have left, leaving, or watching the night shows.

They can run 12 trains on the tracks but have been running 6 or less, according to reports I have been reading. If they ever get this ride running like it should, and not having tech problems every 30 min, it should eat the riders so wait times should drop by a lot.

Since they have had the whole day today we will have to see what happens tomorrow, but I don't think it looks good for the ride. I will be there in the fall. so I think it will be running correctly by then, or shut down for a rethink.

You know when test track opened in epcot, a not to less complicated ride, they could not make it run right and I think it was shut down for about 2 years, but they figured it out, and it was running pretty well the last time I was there.

They can run 12 trains on the tracks but have been running 6 or less, according to reports I have been reading. If they ever get this ride running like it should, and not having tech problems every 30 min, it should eat the riders so wait times should drop by a lot.

Since they have had the whole day today we will have to see what happens tomorrow, but I don't think it looks good for the ride. I will be there in the fall. so I think it will be running correctly by then, or shut down for a rethink.

You know when test track opened in epcot, a not to less complicated ride, they could not make it run right and I think it was shut down for about 2 years, but they figured it out, and it was running pretty well the last time I was there.

It will definitely be interesting to see if Hagrid's does open for today as it was closed yesterday. Not only they will have to work out the kinks, but then once they get that done, they'll have to perfect their strategy on running all the trains. However, for all we know, they might have decided to cut back and not do all twelve period. It's really hard to tell now. As when Universal first opened, when things did not work, they either cut back in order for the attraction to function properly (Kongfrontation), or closed the ride for an extended amount of time in order to work on it (Jaws).

Toothsome Chocolate Emporium is a fun experience and NBC Grill & Brew has some really good food. Both are located in City Walk.

I would highly recommend adding days to your ticket. The price increase going from 3 to 5 days is minimal, and if you are contemplating VIP tour, then you can afford it. And, modify your mindset a bit. You are at the Hard Rock, it is like a 5 minute walk to the park!

You can chill at the hotel and go to the parks with EP - in the same day! No need to have a park day and a hotel day separate. With EP, you can ride A LOT in a 3-4 hour time span - go early, then get some quality time at the pool/hotel, then close the park down. Nights in the parks are great!

To have 3-4 days that close with no park tickets would be brutal. Enjoy the day at Kennedy, but every other day should have the option to go into the parks, even if only a couple of hours.

And if you have never seen Blue Man - it's great! We've been enough that we are waiting on a new show, or new people to go with who haven't seen it.

As far as dining - food in the parks is good, some better than others. The breakfast buffet at The Kitchen is fantastic. But, I didn't see any City Walk choices - there is some great eats on CW, if you like Italian food - VIVO is a must!

Blue man group is fantastic! Highly recommend that if you haven’t seen them. Just about everything in Citywalk is better food wise than what we ate in the parks. Standouts in the park were Finnegans and Today Cafe for us.

My current plan is this:

Saturday: Check in, Blue Man Group
Sunday: Parks, possibly with VIP
Monday: Relax Day! (this is presidents day, figure it will be busy)
Tuesday: Cape Canaveral
Wednesday: Parks
Thursday: Parks
Friday: Tossup between Sea World and Legoland. My son will nearly be 10 years old, but we both love Legos. Seaworld is a lot closer of course. Or alternatively, just relax day!
Saturday: Checkout

Last time I was in Florida, I did a Whirlwind Disneyworld trip, going to the parks each day, and we were pretty exhausted (me more than my son), so I want to take it slower, and limit ourselves to 3 days at Universal.

You should add the Acoustic Sunday Brunch at HRH to your schedule. It was one of the best buffets we’ve ever experienced. We hit the parks ealy and rode 5-6 things before our 11:30 am reservation. Then we took a nap and went back to the parks.

If you add park days, everyday is a relaxation day.

The pool at HRH is fun, so fun. We spent an afternoon there then back to the parks.

We really like the food in the Springfield food court and the Bumble Bee Man tacos.

Last minute trip....taking my daughter who is turning 10....just the two of us, wife/other daughter staying home......daughter loves Harry Potter. Landing 8am Sat morning.....leaving 7pm flight Monday......

Suggestions? Looking at the special listed, buy 2 park days and get 3 free ...thinking we go Sat/Sunday for sure and w the bonus tickets, might go back on Monday morning?

If we buy the 2day park to park tickets, can we can the unlimited pass to just one of those days?

Last minute trip....taking my daughter who is turning 10....just the two of us, wife/other daughter staying home......daughter loves Harry Potter. Landing 8am Sat morning.....leaving 7pm flight Monday......

Suggestions? Looking at the special listed, buy 2 park days and get 3 free ...thinking we go Sat/Sunday for sure and w the bonus tickets, might go back on Monday morning?

If we buy the 2day park to park tickets, can we can the unlimited pass to just one of those days?

You can buy express pass for just one day. It is date specific and no refunds. You might want to wait to get it until you get there.

There are several clearly marked places to buy it in the parks.

1) Is three days enough, given I have Universal Express? My other days I will be going to Kennedy Space Center, or relax at the hotel and citywalk.
IMO, yes. Especially if you have park to park tickets. We usually plan 3 days for Universal and it works out perfect for us.

2) Any recommendations for dining? I am already planning on Leaky Cauldron, Mythos, Lombards, and Cafe 4 (Marvel character dinner). I've been to Three Broomsticks a few times in USH. I figure I will also eat at the restaurants at the hard rock (kitchen ,etc.).
The CityWalk restaurants are our favorites - Toothsome, Antojitos, NBC Sports Grill & Brew. We will do these for dinner, and eat in the parks for lunch. I see you're planning to do the Kitchen at HRH which is a good call - my favorite breakfast buffet anywhere! They also used to have tableside magicians at dinner on Fridays. I'm not sure if they still do it, but its worth looking into if you happen to be there over a Friday. They were great! Something different, fun experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter