Universal Studios Hollywood anyone?

TimeforMe

<marquee><font color=royalblue>Remember who you ar
Hi: I know this is a DL forum, but since there's no USH forum I was hoping you guys might be able to help.

We've been to WDW and USF several times with our 2 teens. This year we are headed out west and will be incorporating DL into our trip for 3 nights. Now I'm second guessing myself and wondering if we should do DL/CA for 2 days and USH on the 3rd day. There seem to be a few new rides they haven't been on that I think they would like, but I already ordered the 3-day parkhoppers for DL so now I'm not sure what to do :confused3 I don't think I can "save" the 3rd day right?

My kids are 15 and 17 FYI and we'll be staying at the GC. Any comments/ suggestions?

No, you can't save the 3rd day (it will expire 13 days from the first use). Personally, though I in general do like Universal, I think some of the newer stuff leaves quite a bit to be desired. Shrek 4-D was quite good, I'll admit, but I hated the new Mummy coaster (they call that a roller coaster?). It's all theming and no ride.

We went to USH 1 day and then DL/CA for 5 days in early June of this year. Our kids are 8 and 10.

USH was entertaining for a day, but all day my DH kept saying "well, it's sure not Disney." He is admittedly a Disney freak, but his point was that the theming and quality of the rides, shows, even food was significantly lacking in comparison. He was unimpressed with Mummy, Jurassic, Van Helsig, Back to the Future, etc.

We wished we had more than our allotted 5 dyas at DL/CA. We STILL didn't get to see everything. I have no idea how you can do it in 2 days. You would miss alot of the wonderful things about the parks.

Also don't know what your transportation situation is, but it is a bit of a drive and would cost a bundle in a taxi.

My opinion is that if you already have the tickets for Disney, stay there and enjoy it fully.

Regarding the Mummy ride. Is it ok for icky tums? I mean, I get sick on motion simulators and have never dared an upside down coaster. Should I avoid it?

I don't get motion sick, so honestly I can't say yea or nay, but there is a section where you are going backwards through some slalom type turns, so I would think if any portion is going to upset your stomach, it would be that part.

We just went a few weeks ago, and the backlot tour was the only interesting thing. My kids are 8 and 11 and they were bored after a few hrs. There are only a few rides there, and the shows are OK. I would stay the 3 days at DL if it were me. Especially since you've already been to USF.

TimeforMe said:
Hi: I know this is a DL forum, but since there's no USH forum I was hoping you guys might be able to help.

We've been to WDW and USF several times with our 2 teens. This year we are headed out west and will be incorporating DL into our trip for 3 nights. Now I'm second guessing myself and wondering if we should do DL/CA for 2 days and USH on the 3rd day. There seem to be a few new rides they haven't been on that I think they would like, but I already ordered the 3-day parkhoppers for DL so now I'm not sure what to do :confused3 I don't think I can "save" the 3rd day right?

My kids are 15 and 17 FYI and we'll be staying at the GC. Any comments/ suggestions?
My opinion is that USH strength is not rides, but the movie industry venues. We went last summer (with kids that were 8-12) and I think the tram tour, soundstage, special effects stage, and Waterworld stunt show were the highlights. None of the "rides" impressed me.

So, if it were me I would stick with DL/DCA for three days, because it will take three days to do DL/DCA, especially in the summer with all of the parades and shows and the desire to go on the big rides multiple times. But if your teens are big time into movies you might want to consider USH for a day.

As a fireman, the Backdraft show was worth the trip to USH...we were there last Thursday...much shoter lines than Disney..and I have to say that USH has Disney beat hands down in one area...the waiting lines are covered, with fans and misters...I was sure in a better mood all day waiting in line and not cooking like you do at DL...We were able to do it all in a day at USH...but plan on at least an an hour and a half drive to USH from DL...any other questions..just ask...

BTW...Van Helsing...was a waste of time in my opinion...its just a walk through haunted house...and not a very good one at that...so other than that the only differences between USH and USF is Backdraft, Waterworld show (pretty good), Van Helsing, Fear Factor(good), and I think that was it...

We plan to do USH for a day on our trip from july14-24. I have been to USF and IOA many times and USH once. I think is neat to see the differences in the Hollywood vs. Florida park.

The Hollywood tram tour includes earthquake, king kong and jaws, plus backlot tours. You don't have to wait in line for each of these as you do in FL.

The Water World stunt show is the best stunt show I have seen. It doesn't stop and start to explain what they are doing like Indianna Jones and Lights Motors Action at MGM. They tell you a story the most of the way thru so it doesn't get long and boring.

The USH park is on a cliff. You have to take a long series of escalators down on one side to get to the tram tour and another series on the other sider to get to Mummy, and Jurassic Park areas. At the top you can get a great view of the area. We saw the Warner Brothers water tower from a distance on our last visit. Just a cool change from the flat FL landscape.

Our previous trip was on a Sat. in Oct, but we didn't stay all day. We did what we wanted and went back to DL and enjoyed the park. With Disney's hours going to 12am, you could probably do both parks and not waste your Disney ticket if you wanted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter