Universal Studios & Islands of Adventure in one day in late April

lynn11222

Earning My Ears
Our adult sons, who are in their mid 20s, would like to go to Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure during our Florida vacation since they are Harry Potter fans. Is it possible to get through both parks in one day in late April if you don't buy Express passes and won't have children with you? My sons would like to do both parks in one day to save money if it is doable.

Our adult sons, who are in their mid 20s, would like to go to Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure during our Florida vacation since they are Harry Potter fans. Is it possible to get through both parks in one day in late April if you don't buy Express passes and won't have children with you? My sons would like to do both parks in one day to save money if it is doable.
If they’re willing to do single rider lines and attend beginning early in the morning they can get a TON done. This is our typical touring style.

ETA: they will miss some lovely sights and features from certain standby lines such as in Forbidden Journey in the single rider line but this line is their best bet if they want a little of everything that Universal has to offer. Also, look at mobile order menus and become familiar with that process as this will save them time when they are hungry.

I always feel one day at Universal is better than zero.

Last edited:
Pick a weekday if possible. Last week of April / first week of May is a slower time.

Start in whichever park does not have early entry, which probably means staring in Studios. Diagon Alley will be low crowds for a little while after opening, or they can choose to head for rides that don't offer single rider or are slow single rider lines (Simpsons or Rip Ride Rocket come to mind). I would not do Minions first thing, unless they really want to ride it and they're right at the front of the pack. It seems Minions is what most people do first.

The single rider lines are great on most rides. However, I would suggest doing standby if waits are reasonable for Gringotts & Forbidden Journey. For any other single rider line, you don't miss much in the queue. Well, maybe Hagrids, but that single rider line isn't open all the time anyways. Rip Ride Rocket can have a very slow single rider line, sometimes Velocicoaster too.

They probably can't hit every single ride, but they can do the majority if they plan to open & close the parks. Should leave them wanting to come back!

They can definitely do both HP area rides, and probably the shops and shows and spell spots and restaurants in the two HP areas, but if they want to get the full immersion in the HP worlds, they won’t have much time for anything else.

The HP areas are beyond amazing and have so much more to offer than just the rides.
It’s like you are in the books!
So much to see and do!

If they just want to do the rides in the HP areas and not all the other stuff, they can do more out in the rest of the parks.

(Knockturn Alley is easy to miss, so tell them to keep a sharp eye out for it.)

Sounds like a fun “Brother’s Trip”!

I haven't been in about 6 months, but I wouldn't waste my time on single rider line at Velocicoaster...do the regular line. My experience has been the single rider line is as long or slower than regular line. Express pass has opened on Velocicoaster since I was last there, so that might have sped up the single rider line...not sure.

I did it today. Two parks in one day. Can you do everything? Probably not. Can you do all the real rides? Yes, you can with lot of spare time!
Single rider Lines are a nono for me: today velocicoaster was posted 45 at noon and ended up being 25. Hagrid was posted 120 we waited 60 (at 10.30).
We had a really nice day, even if it started raining bad at 4pm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter