Universal Studios On site Hotels - Worth it?

Strat

Earning My Ears
Please help. I'm spending a week in DW (Sunday - Sunday), but will be in Orlando on the 18th of October (flying in late at night). Plan on staying dirt cheap on Thursday the 18th, and will spend Friday and Saturday at Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure.

QUESTION: Is it worth another $300 to stay on site to get the FOTL advantage. Are the lines likely to be looooong on a Friday and Saturday in mid-October?

With all of the money I'm spending at DW, not sure I can afford another $300...however, waiting in lines, and particularly, seeing other people go right to the front can really get me fried as well.

Thanks for your responses and for operating this board. I've already got alot of great input.

Strat

we got the entertainment rate at the Hard Rock for November for $117 night garden view we are staying there for the FOTL access it seems to be worth it especially when we have 3 young children who cannot go on most of the roller coasters they won't be going nuts waiting an hour for us to get on a ride we can get on the ridedes we want and then concentrate on all the things we can do together.

check the universal/IOA board on this site for more info as well there is alot of info on the hotels

Hi, Strat:

Not absolutely sure why it's another $300...are you staying two EXTRA days or is the $300 over the rate you'd be spending in WDW??

FOTL is definitely worth every dime but October IS value season so it may not be extremely necessary. Fridays and Saturdays are notoriously busy days year round. Both hotels, the Hard Rock and the Portofino are incredible hotels, and IMHO, worth the experience, but that's up to you.

Thanks for the info. I'm guessing I'd pay about $100 per night for a decent off-site hotel. The only rooms available at Hard Rock Hotel are the Club Rooms. They are listed for $305/night, but with AAA, I was able to get them down to $244. Therefore, for two nights, I'm guessing about $300 more or less additional money.

As I said, this to me sounds like a lot, but I'm already spending a lot on this vacation...plus, if I'm standing in a 60-90 minute line and see somebody walk right to the front and get on, I'm not sure if my poor mind could take that. (I'm not sure if I feel comfortable doing that to other's either - I would think that I might feel elitist or something - but if it is common place and everybody has the option of doing it, then I guess I won't feel too bad.)

I've already made the reservation, but can cancel if you think it is not necessary (judging by first response, I would say however that you strongly recommend.)

Also, about how long is the FOTL wait? Is it truly walk right in and get on or is this somewhat longer also.

Thanks for your help. Strat

We are just back from a short stay at the HRH. Due to a family issue, we had to shorten the planned four nights to two nights at HRH.

The HRH is definitely worth your time and money. The FOTL treatment is OUTSTANDING. It allows you to avoid every line (except the Pteredon Flyers) and it essentially removes the park crowds as an issue. Now on an October trip(for example), it may not be as important. But even in mid-August, it allowed me to do Spiderman twice and the Hulk coaster twice--in less than an hour total! It was an amazing benefit for an on-site room.

This is also apparent to the staff at the HRH. A concierge who was from the northeast was kidding with me as we checked out (to move to Disney's Wilderness Lodge.) He stated with a smile, "You'll be back for the Front of the Line. There is nothing like it at Disney" He was right. FastPass is terrific but the FOTL treatment is unmatched.

We are considering staying at the HRH on our next trip and doing the non-theme park aspects of Disney from the HRH! Despite the driving distance, you can do Cirque or HDD at night while using the FOTL during the days.

Another thing that you may wish to consider is that Universal fastpass and guest using FOTL access use a sepeate entrance for most if not all rides so you really never sit in a line watching tons of people walking past you.

My family of four will be staying at HRH during the same time period. There were no vacancies when I tried to book directly (Entertainment or otherwise), so I went to Expedia and got a rate of around $150/night. Not quite as good as the entertainment rate, but still not bad. It's worth a shot.

Good Luck!

Strat, if you get the travel channel they are running a full 1 hour show on the Hard Rock Hotel. It was on last week. I think is is called secrets ( a regular series) and it features special hints on how to best enjoy different travel locations. The HRH looked great. Watch for it (check their web site) and see what you're in strore for.

Strat--Check the various consolidators (www.quickbook.com) and others. You should be able to get HRH or Portofinio for under $200. Quickbook has the HRH listed at 185 for your dates. Try call the hotel directly, they may have some promotional rates. October is convention month, if you wait to long you may get nothing. The ability to walk to the parks and reduced lines is worth it. I'd consider downgrading your Disney accomodations (within reason) to come in under budget.

The HRH is the best hotel in Orlando (IMHO) and FOTL is awesome!!

So, Yes it's worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter