Universal Studios Tips

RoseColored97

DIS Veteran
We're going to Universal next month for one day. We considered the VIP tour, but that seems like you might be at the mercy of the group you are with on the tour. We are not really into movie sets and would not want to spend a lot of time in each set, but I read that this may happen on the tour depending on what the majority in the group want. I think the Express Pass+ may be the way to go for us to focus on rides and premium access to shows.

We've never been before. Any tips?

To me the VIP tour is amazing! But I guess it really depends on the age of children etc.

The VIP tour does spend about 2 hours in the backlot. A standard backlot tram "tour" (you don't get off the tram) is about 45 minutes, so this is about double that. For the VIP part you get off the trams two or three times. You get to go into a sound stage (depending on if they're filming or not) and see the sound stage for about 10 minutes. You also get to get off the tram two or three times around the backlot and walk basically right up to some of the outdoor sets... the clock tower square from Back to the Future? Yep, as long as they're not filming you usually get to walk around there and get amazing pictures. It's pretty dang cool. You see everything on the normal backlot tram tour plus the extra stuff just for VIPs.

The rest of the time you have VIP access during the tour to all the attractions and shows, this is V I P in the fact that the tour guide will (gently) push by all the front of the line guys and make sure his tour gets to be NEXT on. I think the longest I've waited is 2 minutes maybe. They also will provide ponchos for Jurassic Park if you want (maybe less of a bonus in the summer but man in October that's a great little perk without having to track down where to buy them).

I usually can see about 80% of everything during the VIP tour, and that is with the 2 hour backlot tram tour AND a one hour gourmet buffet lunch (seriously, the lunch is amazing for a theme park. Think carving station, sushi, lots of vegetarian options, fruits and berries, desserts, etc. Also has a wonderful outdoor seating area with a fantastic view. This is only open to VIP guests). You can also leave your tour group at any time and your passes are then good for just unlimited front of the line for any attraction... though shows might be hit or miss on if you can get into the front of the line or VIP reserved areas.

Honestly if you can afford it, I would highly recommend it. I've done it maybe five or six times (usually make an annual October trip and the VIP tour is the only way I do Universal). Also, with the summer hours for the park, you'll be golden to do everything you want. When I go in October I'm looking at 9:45am till about 6pm and can still do just about everything. I usually hang with the tour until about 3 or 4pm and then break off and do a couple attractions again on my own before leaving the park.

If you go for the tour, when you book it ask them to put a note to put you with a tour guide that will be doing the lower lot and backlot tour before lunch that way you can do that with the group and then when you have lunch at 11:30 or so you could break off from the tour guide and just roam the park with unlimited front of the line. OR, you could hang with the group for a couple more hours after lunch (they usually try to do a show to let peoples stomachs settle) and hopefully they'll get you over to water world into the VIP reserved section and then you could break off from the group at that point. I also see the VIP tour as a great way to do a LONG day in the parks but not be completely worn out. The tram part obviously is low intensity so you don't really get worn out at all in those two hours. Ice cold water bottles are always around for you. The lunch is very relaxing. You don't wait at all. You could easily be there from 8:45am till maybe 9pm or so. (For reference, I do the VIP tour from 9:45am till about 6pm, leave the park to head across the street to the Hilton for a quick shower in my room before returning around 7:15pm for the RIP tour of Halloween Horror Nights where I'm in the park until about midnight or 1am. It's a L O N G day and I swear it's only possible because of the VIP treatment, lol)

I'll note, if you do this. Check in 15 minutes (or 30 minutes if you can) before your tour departure time. REMIND them again about wanting to be with a group that is doing the backlot/lower lot first and before lunch. Then you can enjoy a nice ("fancy") continental breakfast while you wait for the group to assemble and depart. Then, and this is really important, when you plan to break off from the group, TELL YOU TOUR GUIDE. Do not just disappear and don't just finish lunch and bolt. Either tell them before lunch that you will be splitting off and NOT meeting them after lunch, or meet up with them after lunch and tell them when you're going to depart and go off on your own. They're fine with you going off on your own, they just don't want to worry about losing you from the group and trying to find where you went.

If you don't think you'll like the VIP tour, then I highly recommend the Express Pass. That's the only way that my family and I will go to Universal Studios Hollywood from now on, especially since we don't live nearby and it's a one day park for us. We love the Express Pass. I would like to try to the VIP tour someday but I also enjoy movie sets, etc. My family did the VIP tour at Universal Orlando and loved it.

To me the VIP tour is amazing! But I guess it really depends on the age of children etc.

The VIP tour does spend about 2 hours in the backlot. A standard backlot tram "tour" (you don't get off the tram) is about 45 minutes, so this is about double that. For the VIP part you get off the trams two or three times. You get to go into a sound stage (depending on if they're filming or not) and see the sound stage for about 10 minutes. You also get to get off the tram two or three times around the backlot and walk basically right up to some of the outdoor sets... the clock tower square from Back to the Future? Yep, as long as they're not filming you usually get to walk around there and get amazing pictures. It's pretty dang cool. You see everything on the normal backlot tram tour plus the extra stuff just for VIPs.

The rest of the time you have VIP access during the tour to all the attractions and shows, this is V I P in the fact that the tour guide will (gently) push by all the front of the line guys and make sure his tour gets to be NEXT on. I think the longest I've waited is 2 minutes maybe. They also will provide ponchos for Jurassic Park if you want (maybe less of a bonus in the summer but man in October that's a great little perk without having to track down where to buy them).

I usually can see about 80% of everything during the VIP tour, and that is with the 2 hour backlot tram tour AND a one hour gourmet buffet lunch (seriously, the lunch is amazing for a theme park. Think carving station, sushi, lots of vegetarian options, fruits and berries, desserts, etc. Also has a wonderful outdoor seating area with a fantastic view. This is only open to VIP guests). You can also leave your tour group at any time and your passes are then good for just unlimited front of the line for any attraction... though shows might be hit or miss on if you can get into the front of the line or VIP reserved areas.

Honestly if you can afford it, I would highly recommend it. I've done it maybe five or six times (usually make an annual October trip and the VIP tour is the only way I do Universal). Also, with the summer hours for the park, you'll be golden to do everything you want. When I go in October I'm looking at 9:45am till about 6pm and can still do just about everything. I usually hang with the tour until about 3 or 4pm and then break off and do a couple attractions again on my own before leaving the park.

If you go for the tour, when you book it ask them to put a note to put you with a tour guide that will be doing the lower lot and backlot tour before lunch that way you can do that with the group and then when you have lunch at 11:30 or so you could break off from the tour guide and just roam the park with unlimited front of the line. OR, you could hang with the group for a couple more hours after lunch (they usually try to do a show to let peoples stomachs settle) and hopefully they'll get you over to water world into the VIP reserved section and then you could break off from the group at that point. I also see the VIP tour as a great way to do a LONG day in the parks but not be completely worn out. The tram part obviously is low intensity so you don't really get worn out at all in those two hours. Ice cold water bottles are always around for you. The lunch is very relaxing. You don't wait at all. You could easily be there from 8:45am till maybe 9pm or so. (For reference, I do the VIP tour from 9:45am till about 6pm, leave the park to head across the street to the Hilton for a quick shower in my room before returning around 7:15pm for the RIP tour of Halloween Horror Nights where I'm in the park until about midnight or 1am. It's a L O N G day and I swear it's only possible because of the VIP treatment, lol)

Thanks for the detailed information! You may have sold us. One question - do you know if you're allowed to go back to the VIP lounge to take a break at different points of the day (other than breakfast/lunch)?

Thanks for the detailed information! You may have sold us. One question - do you know if you're allowed to go back to the VIP lounge to take a break at different points of the day (other than breakfast/lunch)?
That's a really good question and the VIP booking phone number certainly will be able to answer that.

Mine is a little weird since I always go for Halloween Horror Nights, so the park closes early, AND the Moulin Rogue (restaurant where you have lunch) is used for the dinner service for the HHN VIP (called RIP) tour starting around 6:30pm or so. That said, for HHN you usually have dinner at the start of the tour and the place is open till midnight or 1 am with dessert and coffees/paid drinks. So.... there is a chance it's open late in the day in the summer for VIPs to swing back by and get a dessert and drink or something. Again, call the VIP booking number and they'll be able to confirm that for you.

The "lounge" area near the front gate which acts as the private tour starting point might also be open. I feel like they've mentioned we can return back there at any time to rest a little, grab a cold drink, etc. I'm not sure if they have light snacks all day long or not (in the morning before your tour they have fruit, juices, danish, little breakfast sandwich things, etc, it's good to show up 20+ minutes before your tour to check in and grab a little bite to eat, though again if you ask for the backlot before lunch, your lunch time is probably going to be first out of the groups, likely around 11:30).

Again, I usually don't return during the day since my day is a bit shorter with the reduced hours due to the halloween events and it doesn't make sense to walk all the way up to the front gate area to duck into the lounge since I'm staying across the street at the Hilton and would just call it a day and go grab a quick shower or something before whatever I'm doing next. However, during the night I DO return to the Moulin Rogue around midnight for a cocktail and desserts :P

Give them a call and ask all the questions ( 818-622-8477 ). Also includes valet parking if you have a car, be sure to ask where exactly that is located. It used to be in the Frankenstein garage which is VERY close, but it might have moved to Jurassic garage. I would specifically ask the VIP booking number instead of just following signs at the park... I'm wondering if they split VIP valet with general valet for City Walk or "normal" guests. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me that VIPs are pushed way back into the Jurassic Garage now compared to front gate or preferred parking (paid options).

I still think it's very worth while, especially with those longer summer park hours. When you factor in price Universal Express (I don't seem to see the + option), about $230 to $250 most days next month AND that it's only good for each attraction ONCE, the extra $170 to $200/tix for the VIP doesn't seem too bad (if you can afford it of course). The meal alone feels like it's $50+ in value (granted you actually probably would only spend $30 or so per person on theme park lunch food, but it's much lower quality) and you can do front of the line unlimited times. Want to ride Jurassic five times in a row the last two hours you're in the park... no problem. Want to ride it once on the tour in the day and then once at night as it's dusk out to get a completely different vibe from it? No problem. The Mummy indoor coaster is awesome, but only like 45 second long. Kids want to go crazy on that and ride it back to back for an hour, have at it. Just request to do the backlot in the morning, that *requires* a tour guide and you can't really just join back the group after splitting off for a few hours. The backlot is worth it as long as you know you're there all day. If you have to leave by 4 or 5pm or something maybe debate doing that, but otherwise totally do it even if you're not "huge" on movie studio stuff. It's a great mix of attractions and actual studio history.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter