Universal Studios - What Rides Are Ok For Me?

granball

Mouseketeer
We are thinking of going to Universal and wondering what I can participate in. My guess is Islands of adventure is not for me, but would like input on both parks. I can walk but I use a wheel chair when I go to the parks. I can not handle being jostled at all because of back, neck & other pain. I don't do well with spinning either. Any thoughts on what I can participate in there? Thanks all! Angie

One thing that Universal has is an excellent rider's guide for people with disabilities that you can download from this link.

Along with the relies that you get to this thread, the rider's guide should be able to answer all your questions.

At Universal: Shrek (choose the stationary seating), Jimmy Neutron (stationary seating), Twister (choose the stationary standing area or the wheelchair area), BeetleJuice Show, Jaws, ET, Barney Show, Animal Planet Live Show, Horror Makeup Show (not to be missed), Terminator (choose the stationary seating).

At IoA: Poisedens (if it is opened--it will be closed all of September and October), Discovery Center in Jurassic Park, Carousell in Seuss Landing, possibly One Fish, Two Fish (similar to Dumbo but with water squirting), possibly Popeye's (similar to Kali River Rapids), and Sinbad Show.

Avoid at all cost as these rides as they either have spinning or jerking movemements: Mummy (sudden stop and a coaster at the end), Earthquake (the name says it all), Back to the Future (very jerky-similar to Star Tours but rougher), Hulk (coaster goes upside down), Spiderman (spinning), Men in Black (some spinning but not really jerky), Dueling Dragons (coaster goes upside down), Jurassic Park and Dudley (similar to drops on Splash Mountain)

Universal will have more that you will be able to do than IoA.

The raft ride at IOA is one of the most violent ride I've been on... and I count all the rides I've been on. It managed to throw my dad's back out and last vacation, I refused to ride it, as other raft rides manage to be fun, without using violent rapids. Jurassic Park is possibly smoother if you hold on for the drop and stop at the bottom. A lot more interesting too.

I find Kali River Raft ride rougher. Kali has a big drop and Popeye's doesn't. But both Kali and Popeye's are not recommended for anyone with neck or back problems.

If you want a serious drop on a raft ride, You need to go to California and ride Grizzly Rapid Run, the raft ride at DCA. One huge drop and 1 small, compact drop that gets everyone wet. From all the raft rides I've been on, Kali is the tamest.

On the other hand, Popeye has those brutal rapids and the "drop" after the lift, which makes it the jerkiest ride at Universal after Back to the Future. But, I can't blame Universal for it... Land was limited and it was pretty shoehorned, so they had to try something and that was making it the most violent raft ride in the world.

I've ridden Popeye's hundreds of times. The drop from the ride stats is 4 feet. It just appears to be a drop after the lift hill but instead is just a steep dip.

Kali's drop is more. According to: http://www.wdwmagic.com/kali.htm Kali's drop is 35 feet.

I've only ridden Kali's about a dozen times so I can't compare roughness. I do agree about Back to the Future. It is one of the roughest rides I've been on and I don't even have a bad back.

phamton said:
I've only ridden Kali's about a dozen times so I can't compare roughness. I do agree about Back to the Future. It is one of the roughest rides I've been on and I don't even have a bad back.
I have not been on Popeye, but Back to the Future was what DD labeled a "Grandma all-finished" ride a number of years ago.
She doesn't talk, but does some sign language. We were on Back to the Future (without Grandma and Grandpa) and she kept signing Grandma and trying to tell us something. Finally, she signed "grandma" then "all finished" then pointed to the seat of the ride.
So, now any ride that is rough is a "grandma all finished ride".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter