Universal Touring Plans

Oh right. I had it in my head that both Gringotts and Forbidden Journey had parts of the scenic queue that you’d miss when using Standby. Is it just a greenhouse or something that you miss on Forbidden Journey?
We’re just doing the Gringotts and Forbidden Journey rides on our separate USF and IOA days, and then setting a full day aside to do the entire Harry Potter stuff, so we’ll hopefully make use of the low crowds in Diagon Alley on that day.

Using EP on Forbidden Journey, you miss the greenhouse and the Phoenix at the entrance of Dumbledore's office. You still see his office though. The EP line in Forbidden Journey sometimes uses a staircase with extra portraits, talking I think, the the standby line doesn't. Last month was the first time that we had used EP and had not gone on that staircase.

We went March 31-April 6 (parks April 1, 2, 4, 5). With Express Pass, basically everything was pretty much a walk on (granted, we did not do RRR or Hulk or Dr. Doom). We had to wait a few minutes once at Hippogriff and Gringott's (there were technical difficulties). That being said, some of the lines just take forever to get through. Gringott's just winds forever and then you have the pre-show and elevator ride thing and then more stairs and walking.

We did not get done what Touring Plans said we would get done on any day (we had three plans and just winged it the last day). Basically, we skipped all the shows (I had wanted to see the Harry Potter shows, Horror Makeup, and Animal Actors) and Fallon and F&F (also skipped pteranodon flyers because it was virtual line only, no EP); however, we sometimes did the rides more than once plus we did rider swap sometimes when we weren't expecting to plus we had the photopass so it would take time to get the ride photos. Also, waiting in line for food or snacks took longer than we expected (waited like 30 minutes for Seuss cotton candy because there are only 2 machines working at it takes like 10 minutes to make one fresh-my kids loved it though!). (Next trip, we are going to do sit down meals like Mythos or do a place with mobile order most of the time)

I did just talk to a family who went the same time we did and stayed PBH as well (randomly met them at a birthday party this weekend!) Anyhow, they felt like they waited a lot with the EP. However, their park hours were 2-9pm whereas we were 8/9-no later than 4. They were still glad they had EP, but I think hitting the early entry makes a difference as well. (I also wonder if the locals with the after 4pm Annual Passes with Express makes a difference). We also had rain jackets and just kept going with no issue in any rain and the rain was earlier on the days we went, so it might have shifted people to going into the parks later. It just seemed so crazy to me that they felt they waited so much when I felt like we didn't wait at all. (My 6 year old complaining in the 15 minutes we waited for Hippogriff makes me think we should never do Disney again! lol)

We went March 31-April 6 (parks April 1, 2, 4, 5). With Express Pass, basically everything was pretty much a walk on (granted, we did not do RRR or Hulk or Dr. Doom). We had to wait a few minutes once at Hippogriff and Gringott's (there were technical difficulties). That being said, some of the lines just take forever to get through. Gringott's just winds forever and then you have the pre-show and elevator ride thing and then more stairs and walking.

We did not get done what Touring Plans said we would get done on any day (we had three plans and just winged it the last day). Basically, we skipped all the shows (I had wanted to see the Harry Potter shows, Horror Makeup, and Animal Actors) and Fallon and F&F (also skipped pteranodon flyers because it was virtual line only, no EP); however, we sometimes did the rides more than once plus we did rider swap sometimes when we weren't expecting to plus we had the photopass so it would take time to get the ride photos. Also, waiting in line for food or snacks took longer than we expected (waited like 30 minutes for Seuss cotton candy because there are only 2 machines working at it takes like 10 minutes to make one fresh-my kids loved it though!). (Next trip, we are going to do sit down meals like Mythos or do a place with mobile order most of the time)

I did just talk to a family who went the same time we did and stayed PBH as well (randomly met them at a birthday party this weekend!) Anyhow, they felt like they waited a lot with the EP. However, their park hours were 2-9pm whereas we were 8/9-no later than 4. They were still glad they had EP, but I think hitting the early entry makes a difference as well. (I also wonder if the locals with the after 4pm Annual Passes with Express makes a difference). We also had rain jackets and just kept going with no issue in any rain and the rain was earlier on the days we went, so it might have shifted people to going into the parks later. It just seemed so crazy to me that they felt they waited so much when I felt like we didn't wait at all. (My 6 year old complaining in the 15 minutes we waited for Hippogriff makes me think we should never do Disney again! lol)

Which parts of your Touring Plan mostly differed to your actual day? Was it the wait times, or walking times between attractions, or just the whole lot of it? I’m setting out a Touring Plan for each of our days there next month, and am just wondering where I can make allowances for it to be more realistic, especially with you saying that most things were a walk-on for you. I’ve set the Walking Speed to Very Relaxed, and have added in meal and snack breaks (and toilet breaks, although they’re just in there to give a bit of leeway - I’m not pre-scheduling when we actually have to go! lol)
I get what you’re saying about working your way through even empty lines, and also, TP’s doesn’t allow for disembarking and exiting the rides, which all adds up, I suppose?
We’ve planned three full park days, and then another half day after spending the first half at Volcano Bay, so it’s similar to the amount of time that you had there...

Which parts of your Touring Plan mostly differed to your actual day? Was it the wait times, or walking times between attractions, or just the whole lot of it? I’m setting out a Touring Plan for each of our days there next month, and am just wondering where I can make allowances for it to be more realistic, especially with you saying that most things were a walk-on for you. I’ve set the Walking Speed to Very Relaxed, and have added in meal and snack breaks (and toilet breaks, although they’re just in there to give a bit of leeway - I’m not pre-scheduling when we actually have to go! lol)
I get what you’re saying about working your way through even empty lines, and also, TP’s doesn’t allow for disembarking and exiting the rides, which all adds up, I suppose?
We’ve planned three full park days, and then another half day after spending the first half at Volcano Bay, so it’s similar to the amount of time that you had there...

It was a combination of my kids wanting to ride again (we rode Spiderman 3 times, even at a walk on, it took time), getting out of the gift shops at the end of rides (kids wanting to buy stuff and the photo pass line), snacks and food took a long time, and the new facial recognition system for express pass slowed things a few minutes (so there would be a small line up to take a picture, but otherwise a walk on)
I also did slow walking and no back tracking but this was our first time with the 6 year olds not in strollers, so they just needed breaks more.
We did get through all the rides we wanted easily in 3 partial days (generally 6-7 hours in the parks), it was just the shows and playing at playgrounds that we cut (well, except F&F and Fallon, which we were a little tired that day and didn't take full advantage of early park entry or opening like I had planned)

We are actually leaving today and used touring plans with express pass. Spent two full days and a 1/2 day on arrival and 1/2 today (departure). We actually got more done then what TP said with shows and parades. Supposedly the parks are 10/10, but not sure how true that is. We also did some shopping and just walking around to take everything in. I only setup the TP to ride each ride once. However, so far we have rode many rides multiple times. I think the crowd levels have a big part to do with it. Longest waits for us have been no more then 15 minutes. EP is a must during peak park times.

It was a combination of my kids wanting to ride again (we rode Spiderman 3 times, even at a walk on, it took time), getting out of the gift shops at the end of rides (kids wanting to buy stuff and the photo pass line), snacks and food took a long time, and the new facial recognition system for express pass slowed things a few minutes (so there would be a small line up to take a picture, but otherwise a walk on)
I also did slow walking and no back tracking but this was our first time with the 6 year olds not in strollers, so they just needed breaks more.
We did get through all the rides we wanted easily in 3 partial days (generally 6-7 hours in the parks), it was just the shows and playing at playgrounds that we cut (well, except F&F and Fallon, which we were a little tired that day and didn't take full advantage of early park entry or opening like I had planned)

We’re in the same situation with the kids, as ours are 6 & 8, and when we visited in 2016 we had the push-chair, where as this time we haven’t - Hence me trying to keep the backtracking to a minimum. I’ve scheduled in some time in the play areas as well, which we can also skip on the day if necessary. As you said, I reckon the food lines could throw a spanner in the works as well, but I’m hoping to Mobile Order wherever possible to cut down the waiting.

We are actually leaving today and used touring plans with express pass. Spent two full days and a 1/2 day on arrival and 1/2 today (departure). We actually got more done then what TP said with shows and parades. Supposedly the parks are 10/10, but not sure how true that is. We also did some shopping and just walking around to take everything in. I only setup the TP to ride each ride once. However, so far we have rode many rides multiple times. I think the crowd levels have a big part to do with it. Longest waits for us have been no more then 15 minutes. EP is a must during peak park times.

Did you leave your Touring Plan as though you weren’t using Express Pass like you changed it at the beginning of this thread, or did you change it back to using it? I’m really curious as to how the wait times compare. (Sorry for gate-crashing your thread so much BTW)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter