universal while at Disney ???'s

darlene walker

Mouseketeer
When we've visited Disney in the past we've stayed between 10-14 days, and stay on site. This Nov. we are only going for 8 nights so I consider this to be a short trip. We have a great rate with the FTP, which our dates will run through Thanksgiving week. My husband wants to go to Universal for the night, during our week at Disney. I had 1 night booked but cancelled tonight because I feel we'll miss something if we leave. My husband says re-book. This 1 night will cost us appx. $600.00. Between having 2 rooms @ RP with the entertainment rate and Park tix for 6 and taxi fare from ASMu. Does anyone feel that while at Disney you just don't want to leave. Why spend the extra money at Universal when we saved so much with the FTP. I just want to add when at Universal we stay onsite because of the no wait lines for guest.
Does anyone go through this?
Darlene

Darlene,

If you don't want to stay onsite at Universal, you can buy an Express Plus Pass from Universal, which also gives you the FOTL access. If you are going off-peak times, the cost is $10 per ticket/per park. Hope this information helps.....Steve

i agree with DiscussDisney as US is just a short drive east on I-4.

You mentioned 6 in your party so I am going to assume you have some children in the 7-9 age range. FYI this is the age they leave the MK stage and like the Thrill Rides of US.

We also feel if you are going to the expense of coming to Orlando, you should visit all of our parks. We am as Disney crazy as anyone, but We love Seaworld and US and go there asmuch as we can.

Try it once, then you will know

We feel we are missing out if we don't go over to Universal. We tack a couple of days on to the end of our trip and stay on-site for FOTL.

I would tack on a couple of days at Universal at the beginning or end of your trip if I had the choice. We visited for 8 nights this past March with 3 of those nights (offsite unfortunately) at Universal and 5 at WDW. But we've been to WDW a lot now and only hit our favorites so this worked pretty well for us. My true preference would be 4 nights onsite at Universal and 6 nights at WDW but we didn't have the time.

If you must go during your WDW visit, I agree that the Express Plus Pass is the way to go. You might also want to rent a car for a few days.

We have always included Universal and now Islands of Adventure and City Walk in our Disney trips. We usually plan three days for this.

We love the Universal parks...they are special in their own way. Universal has so many cool things to offer, and the restaurants on City Walk and in the resorts are a great treat.

We have never missed disney while at universal, we used to do Universal before our disney trip...now we do disney before our universal trip, as we get more pampering from the universal resorts and parks.

Enjoy!

I am calling this morning to book a couple of rooms onsite. I hope they still have availabilty with the entertainment rate. I got the 3rd degree from my 3 kids ages 5, 6 and 18. They love IOA. I agree with you webray Universal hotels are so relaxing. My husband favorite and my sons is HRH.
Darlene

We do ::MickeyMo and then:moped: over to Universal on every trip.We like to do Universal first then Disney because of the Front line policy. If you do Universal first then when you go over to Disney it makes you crazy standing on line.
tiggerguy2000:wizard:

... I think you meant "we like to do DISNEY first then UNIVERSAL because of the front line policy..." :)

Anyway, we've never been to USF and are going on our first non-Disney trip to Orlando ever in February... I am so afraid I'm going to suffer Disney withdrawl!! Do any of you Disney fans experience that when you don't spend at least part of your vacation there?? Am I going to regret not going to WDW this trip? We're only going for a long weekend, so I doubt we'd be able to fit it in anyway, but I have to admit that I'm already getting nervous that I'll somehow feel let down not doing Disney when I'm so close by...

Any thoughts, encouraging words or advice???

Thanks,
Sarah

We've never just done a Universal vacation but are thinking of doing it in 2004. I felt bad last year for leaving Disney for just 2 days and staying at the HRH. Well we loved it and actually IOA was awesome. From Suess Landing to the Hulk coaster. My Mom 60+ was even going down the water slide at the Resort. Relax you are sure to have a great time.
Darlene

I think you are in for a surprise of how much you will enjoy it. Living here in the Orlando area I have advised many friends to go there and they come back kicking themselves they had not done US/IOA sooner and could not wait to get back.

Darlene - we did that in June. We usually average about 11 nights at WDW, but this year did 5 (WOW! Much too short) and 3 nights at US/IOF. Next year, though, we're shooting for a week in US/IOF. Not even going to WDW... that's gonna hurt. I can't even imagine being so close and not going. But, that's the plan, so we'll see.

The kids are really digging US/IOF now that they're 11 and 8. My dd (11) is the roller coaster queen! She did back to back Hulk rides this year and loved it. I did it once, and it took me 2 hours to recoup. Gotta love that FOTL!!!!!!

I appreciate all of your encouraging words re our first non-Disney trip! I hope you're all right that we'll like it just as much! This trip we're also going with another family who really doesn't like Disney and adores Universal. This will be their second trip there, but they didn't stay on site last time. We'll all be staying at HRH... Will we like that as well as, say BC or WL at WDW??? Do you think that's the best place for the kids (ages 5, 8, 9 and 11) and us parents?? Again, any advice/opinions etc. are appreciated!! :)

Thanks,
Sarah

We've only stayed at OKW and the cabins at FW at Disney but we loved the HRH. The staff, pool, location and atmosphere were all great. We will be staying at the Royal Pacific in Nov. and I hope we enjoy it as well as the Hard Rock.
Darlene

My experience of watching DGK and friends DD & DS get to the age around 8, they graduate themselves from the character stage to the thrill ride stage. As I have posted in the past if the park is left up the DGK’s, we will be going to US/IOA. When asked if they want to go to MK, it’s for little kids.

I know the older one’s will have a blast and there is stuff for the 5 yr.

HRH gets a lot of good reviews from my friends. Number one being the beds are like sleeping on a cloud.

Here is HRH FAQ thread

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=272199

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter