• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Universals version of Fast Pass really stinks!!

Figaro30

Proud to be an American
We spent two days at US about a week and a half ago....every time we tried to use their speedpass we either couldn't find the ones for the corresponding rides or the ones we wanted weren't working and were covered up. When we did find one the computers are a bit confusing for people who aren't familiar with how to work it. Not people friendly like fast pass at disney.

With US', you put your ticket in and have to stand their at the screen and push buttons. We did this one time and by the time our 4th person got their ticket in...the time slot CHANGED!!

Also...I don't think they have very good crowd control over the people that use the speed pass. We waited on line for Poseidan's Fury....it stated a 35 minute wait....we ended up waiting 55 minutes because the speed pass line was continually open and accepting people and our line wasn't moving AT ALL!!

We're all standing there watching people coming in from the outside walking right past us and not having to wait AT ALL.

I don't believe this is entirely fair. Before you start slamming me...I totally understand the concept of this speed pass. BUT!!!
The people that use this should have to wait at least 5 minutes to get on the ride. Their line was continuously moving and our was at a standstill for 20 minutes. They weren't letting anybody on our line in. People were screaming! At one point we did see a worker run by us and shortly after this happened our line started to move again. I think somebody got yelled at up there. It was EXTREMELY UNFAIR...the way they were working this.

I think they need to simplify their system. It is very inconvenient and not user friendly!!

BTW...we used our Fast Pass at a lot of Disney attractions without a hitch. It was fantastic. Very easy to use...you just put your ticket in and out it comes with another ticket...1... 2... 3... Viola!!!! Each time when there was a standby wait of about 40 minutes...we waited about 5-10 and then were let on. It was so convenient and FAST!! It worked out so well...we got one for the Land, sat down got something to eat relaxed for about 35-40 minutes....when we finished we had five minutes to kill. We went into the gift shop down stairs for a few minutes and then went directly to the ride. Got on in about 5 minutes. I love this feature.

Anyway, the US one I can do without. It stinks!!

I'm sorry that the system didn't work out for you, but I have enountered some of the problems you mentioned at Disney. I've had the return window roll over on me halfway through getting passes, but it's not a big deal since the windows overlap so much. If you want to see something frustrating, wait in Standby for Rock 'n' Rollercoaster during a moderately busy time. I saw four or five people be taken from Standby for every 40-50 taken from Fastpass. The Poseidon incident does sound like someone goofed up and wasn't doing a good job of balancing the people. Usually they take quite a few from both sides, as they have two big rooms up ahead for them.

I admit the interface for Express is a bit confusing for people who haven't used it before, but it's necessary to be able to choose your return time. You can thank Disney for making modifications like this necessary.

As for having the machines covered and not operating, the same thing is going on down the road. Some attractions in the Disney parks are not using their Fastpass machines, simply because they're not necessary.

I don't think any virtual queue system is perfect, but what we've got here in Orlando are better systems than what some Six Flags are doing. They have varying systems that range from buying books of FOTL tickets (and having that be the only access to the system) to having electronic gizmos that you rent and allow you access to the ride. Some parks even reserve sections of ride vehicles for users of the system, and don't allow standby people to use those sections even if there aren't any pass users. They also have to load the sections seperately, which greatly increases the time it takes to dispatch.

Fastpass and Express frustrate me sometimes, but at least they are free and are more "fair" than some of the alternatives. :)

I'm sorry too, but at Poseidon's Fury how we deal with express is when you come up to person collecting passes and grouping and counting people we normally put express in first until the line is done or 100 people thats it. Then we normally put 100 people from the regular line in. normally the signs out front with the waits includes the express encounter in there also.

Figaro30 did you mess-up on the dosage again that day. all of the express machines are in plain sight except for the spiderman ones tucked off to the lagoon side of the street.

if the machines were covered than that ment the wait was less than 15 minutes, thus no reason for express. :smooth:

You mean fast pass... I just love it when people don't understand something and ask the wrong people...

Express Pass-Universal
Fast Pass(TM)-Disney
FOTL-Nonexistent at both parks, unless you have a VIP tour-then you are on the ride and not waiting in line.

Any questions?

Originally posted by Notatourist
Express Pass-Universal
Fast Pass(TM)-Disney
FOTL-Nonexistent at both parks, unless you have a VIP tour-then you are on the ride and not waiting in line.

Any questions?

how many 999,999 games do you have to have to get a free vip tour????:D

One problem with the Disney fastpass machines, they occasionally eat your park ticket. Therefore a CM has to be there at all times to help. WIth the Universal machines you don't stick your ticket all the way in.

As far as the Poseidon line being open and letting all kinds of people in, that is a crowd control problem not an Express Pass problem. At at least one airport (Boston) a few weeks ago the guard for the concourse exit was absent for a few minutes, somebody ran up the down staircase, and they had to evacuate that section of the airport and re-screen everybody.

Also they might not be using the correct ratio of fast pass to regular riders which is probably based on some complex imagineering formula that changes with day and time. They may even analyze the collected fast passes every now and then to determine to what extent people discard or forget to use them if the return time is many hours away, so more might be issued.

On another thread somebody complained about being bumped (walked) from a USF hotel. This is one example of a family who deseves a free self guided all day VIP tour. Certain Make A Wish participants also deserve such tours.

There cannot be large quantities of books of fast passes sold without times and ride names on them because the system depends on a predictable number of passes being used every hour, and the machines issue them in about the right quantity. If you dilly dally when fetching your fast pass, the chances are extremely unlikely the return time will change more than five minutes.

Other Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

I was at IOA yesterday. I used the Universal Express machines. It takes about 5 seconds to do. It's so easy even a child can do it. What's the problem?

Originally posted by kellymonaghan
I was at IOA yesterday. I used the Universal Express machines. It takes about 5 seconds to do. It's so easy even a child can do it. What's the problem?

Ding...ding...ding...we have a winner.

Never underestimate people. Listen to some things I have to deal with on computer tech support:

1.)

Me: "Thank you for calling (computer company). What is your problem?"

Caller: "My computer doesn't work."

Me: "What model computer do you have?"

Caller: "A (name of computer company)."

(Note: this is like going into Ford and asking to get a car fixed. When the Ford Rep asks which model Ford that he has, he says, "A Ford.")

2.)

Me: "What hardware or software did you add to your computer?"

Caller: "I don't understand the question."

3.)

Caller: "Can you send someone out to my house to fix my computer?"

Me: "I'm sorry sir, it needs to be sent into a service center."

Caller: "OK, can you send someone out to fix my computer?"

Me: "I'm sorry sir, but like I said before, we need to get it into a service center."

Caller: "I understand. Can you send a technician out to my house to fix my computer?"

I bet these people try to use a WDW park hopper ticket at Universal and can't figure out Universal Express! :)

two things, once somebody tried to give a winnie the pooh fastpass for poseidon let's just say they didn't get to go in, and also is it me or did Figaro30 decide to avoid the subject after people kind of shot him down? hmmmmm...

Actually I haven't signed back on because my mom's in the hospital. And FYI I'm NOT A HE I am a SHE!! You guys are not that smart enough to look up my profile now are you???

This is the first time I've been able to read the totally obnoxious responses I've received. So here I am..... I'm back.

First off I'm not stupid!! I know how it works. Second of all I'm not a Universal Freak...I'm a Disney freak!!! EXCUUUUUUUUSE ME FOR NOT KNOWING THE PROPER NAME!!! What a bunch of wise asses!!!

Third, we repeatedly looked for the machine and noticed they were not directly in front of the attraction on MANY occasions. Not just one time. I just think it would be easier for many people if they moved each machine directly in front of the attraction they were for.

Lastly...What is everybody's problem with ME??? Thanks for the help guys!! I appreciate it. Glad to know there are so many nice people in the world!

Happy holidays to all!

Geesh!

I guess I know better than to ever post an opinion on this board when even the board moderator joins in to flame a poster!

The problem is that you are reporting stuff that is not unique to Universal. Disney has these same problems. There are tons of people who get in the fastpass lines at Disney that have no idea what it is or how to use it. There is not always a Disney CM there to help those people. The Fastpass window at Disney does change and can before you get all of your passes. It has happened to me and I only go with my wife(2 passes). Don't even compare Disneys Crowd control to Universal....Disney has tons of crowd control problems not only with letting fast pass guest on. To name a couple Splash MT,Big Thunder Mt if your in stand by on those attractons then forget getting on soon. I'm glad that machines are not directly infront of the attractions that cusese traffic problems. Examples. In front of Haunted Mansion. Splash MT, Big Thuner Mt. All have major traffic flow problems when its busy. In fact I would consider that all three are major cluster fuc.. So it would not be a good Idea to have the machines directly infront of all the attractions. Gees..how to you guys find the bathroom when your looking for one...its not right in front of you all the time.

:jester:

I don't think Barry was flaming her...just giving an example of the people that he has had to deal with before, that might also have trouble using a fast pass machine. If anybody thought that he was flaming her ....then may I add that you will need to send you computer into our service center...Barry will not be able to come out and fix it. :p

First, let me apologize for those who think I flamed the poster. That was not my intention.

Second, I need to remind everyone that board rules state that our posts need to be friendly. Some posts in this thread are violating the rules. Please follow board rules and read them again if necessary.

Thank you.

Lots of grumpy people here!!! Are you already getting the Too Much Christmas Spirit blues???

Figaro--we will be heading to US Orlando for the first time in May-June. I found your report to be enlightening along with "some" of the serious replies.

One question I have for the experts. If you stay at a Universal resort, what kind of line privelages do you have? I have always heard it referred to as FOTL. Does that mean you need to use your room key in these machines to get a particular time to come back like a Disney Fastpass? Or does it mean that you just get in line and show your card to the employee near the front?

Are the Express Pass machines used by anyone with a ticket at the themepark or is it just for Universal resort guests? I am afraid I am a little confused right now. And here I thought I knew what I was getting myself into........

Oh, and by the way, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! Hee, hee, hee!!:D

Actually, it's easier to find a bathroom than the correct EXPRESS PASS for the ride you are interested in. At least the bathrooms are listed on the maps!!!

If they are going to put an EXPRESS PASS a block away from a ride then they SHOULD PUT IT ON THEIR MAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand that these may be problems that every park with a fast queue system may have....I'm simply reporting that the two days we went to Univ. something always stood in the way of us using this system. For the other 7 days at Disney....it went very smoothly. Maybe I just had a very unlucky two days at Univ.....but it seemed unlikely to me that this was the case!

PS...I've never ridden BTMR or Splash so I wouldn't know the circumstances behind these rides.

Frisky kitten - I'm sure you will have a great time at U.S. We love it there and visit every year. It's a great 2 days of fun. Hopefully you will have better luck with their EXPRESS PASS then we did those two days. Have a great trip!
:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter