• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Unplanned Road Trip ; 15 is Definitely Not My Fav #, Page 26 - WHAT I FINALLY GOT

Welcome home. Can't wait to hear about it.

Thanks Scott:goodvibes

Will start it next week once Trent back in school and things get back to normal

I came home with a little bit of stomach bug and a cold. So been vegging , watching tv.

Starting to feel better, so will spend weekend doing wash and unpacking.

Then will start it up :surfweb:

I have not forgotten about this, but we have been dealing with snow and ice and being trapped in our house for 5 days.

Our neighbor has a drain pipe to keep water out of their basement, well that water flows down street right at bottom of our driveway. Every time it gets below freezing, we end up with a sheet of ice. Our township promised to come and salt and nothing. Well now after like 5 snow storms, we have huge wall of ice and snow at end of driveway and both cars were stuck in driveway.

Yesterday, a neighbor driving by who we have never seen before , asked if we needed to be pulled out. He hooked up our van to his truck and pulled us right now. Now, just one car remains, but no way that is getting out anytime soon. So, Steve has to have co workers pick him up for work, so I can use his car to take Trent to and from school.

Thank god we have a super nice neighbor across street who rarely goes out and is letting us park in his driveway until all that ice is gone.

So, I was trapped in my house for 5 days and was about to lose my mind and was too angry to focus , so I have been vegging for 5 days and doing nothing and being depressed.

So, I thought I show you pics of what we are dealing with until I get my mind relaxed enough to work on this thing

In one of the pics, you will see a mailbox that is at almost edge of our lawn right against the street. If you look to left of mailbox, all that snow and ice is blocking our driveway.

We are due for some warm weather this week, so hoping that helps and we can get other car out

Hope to start this by early next week

Thanks for your patience

Ohmygosh! That's horrible! I hope they find a way to fix that issue, I would be so annoyed. I'm glad you got one of the cars out. I can't wait to hear about the trip!

Glad you got home safely and didn't hit the storms in NC. Things got nasty over here, I refused to drive. Actually, I think I could have ice skated down my street and to the store quicker than anyone could drive since the roads were pure ice.

Yikes, that snow looks nasty. Any idea how long before it will melt? And YAY for nice neighbors that will help you out when you need it.

Ohmygosh! That's horrible! I hope they find a way to fix that issue, I would be so annoyed. I'm glad you got one of the cars out. I can't wait to hear about the trip!

Thanks Karen. I am pretty annoyed, just glad we have at least one car out.
4 days until your trip!!! Are you ready? :cool1:

Glad you got home safely and didn't hit the storms in NC. Things got nasty over here, I refused to drive. Actually, I think I could have ice skated down my street and to the store quicker than anyone could drive since the roads were pure ice.

Yikes, that snow looks nasty. Any idea how long before it will melt? And YAY for nice neighbors that will help you out when you need it.

Thank You. I saw the gridlock on 95 on news after we got home. So glad we did not get stuck in that

I do not blame you one bit. I would not have attempted to drive in that either.

It is. Well, the next few days are going be in high 40s and one day is even going be in the 50s and sunny. Praying that will melt a lot of it.

Even if the ice stays at end of our driveway, if the snow melts from grass, I could drive the car over grass into the street. Would not be the first time we had to do that. :goodvibes

It's actually TWO days until the trip and FOUR until the run my first half marathon!!! :cool1: I'm ready! It's going to be a slow 2 days.

Hey Gang!!

I think I am finally ready to get this Trip Report Started. I am just going write it in here instead of having two threads :thumbsup2

Unfortunately, there are not a lot of pics to add to this first update, but will try to make it as interesting as possible ::yes::

As you all know, the weather has kept me on edge the few days before this trip. The forecast was calling for snow, rain and ice the day we were to fly, Feb 5th.

Steve and I hashed it out trying to figure out what to do. Do we attempt to fly or do we attempt to drive??

I called up a rental car company to price out a one way rental, figuring we drive down and just fly back. On top of the $150 fee, was another $400 fee since it was a one way. Well, no way were we doing that. That is almost the price of our 3 round trip airline tickets.

We Were not sure if our cars were good enough to drive there and back. Steve called his mechanic and discussed anything that could possibly go wrong with either car. In the end, we opted to go with our 2001 Nissan Quest. It had just been serviced, had new tires and had under 100,000 miles.

Steve called his work and told them he needed an extra vac day and they gave him the green light :thumbsup2

Then, Trent was going need another day off of school. Feb 3rd had been a snow day, but they had school the 4th. So, I wrote an email to the teacher explaining we had to leave a day early and asked if possible to get any work together for Trent before we left. Luckily, they were able to get most together for me. So, I called school that morning and put him out sick.

Thankfully, I had been packed for weeks, so we didn't have to rush around. I consolidated all stuff in 3 suitcases into one suitcase and couple of tote bags and 2 backpacks.

We loaded up the car Tuesday, Feb 4th and were ready to go by 9am. We had to hit the bank first for spending money, picked up prescriptions at Target and then stopped at Trent's school and I ran in and picked up his work.

We were officially on the road by 10am

Oh, I should add Trent gets car sick and the longest he normally can go is 2 hours before he gets sick. He hates the medicine we tried before Bodine. He said it was nasty. We tried to get him a sea band, but walmart was sold out. Steve found this oil called Motion Eaze and you dab little behind both ears before you get in car. I will tell you now it was a god send. He never once felt sick or got sick :thumbsup2

Steve drove for awhile, as I don't like to drive through DC as it makes me nervous. He drove through DE, MD and, DC. My mind is pretty foggy, but I know we stopped for gas once and then we started looking for Waffle Houses.. We have none up north, so whenever we are down south, we have to go to some.

We found a random one in VA and stopped. the food was good, but service was so so. Our server mumbled entire time and had no idea what he was asking us.

Let me throw in couple pics as I am sure you are super bored by now with all my babbling :rotfl:

Waffle House Menu

Trent ready for his food

Going stop here.....Might do the 2nd half of our departure date later tonight. If not, will try and pick it back up in a few days

Smart idea! Rental cars can be crazy expensive especially as they charge by the mile here if you are leaving the state.

Smart idea! Rental cars can be crazy expensive especially as they charge by the mile here if you are leaving the state.

I had no idea it would be so much. We have rented a car before and took it up to Lancaster, PA. But that is no where near as far and we were bringing it back, so it was pretty cheap

When the lady said 400, I about fell over :faint:

Yes! I was hoping you would start before I left and I could start reading!! You should update again, it will make good plane reading for me! ;)

I was terrified we would have this same situation with how the weather has been. We drove in 2012 and it was horrible. I had never driven straight through the night and really hated how it was so dark and there was nothing to look at for all those hours! Then on the way back we had car trouble (in the middle of the night as well) and what took us 17 hours on the way down...took 21 hours to get back!! :scared1: We nearly killed each other. ;) So, the thought of driving by myself (since I'm just going with Savannah & her friend) did not sound good! It looks like we'll be good to takeoff this morning! No rain or snow, although we had some winds yesterday that were making me nervous. Uh, enough rambling about myself!

I can't wait to read more! So glad you found something to help with the car sickness! :thumbsup2

Wow, the ice and snow is outta control! This winter has been brutal everywhere it looks like. We have had a heat wave the last 3 days in the low-mid 40's with rain, alot of the snow melted and refroze at night. This morning I woke up and let the dog out, and there was snow everywhere again.:headache: At least it isn't inches...

So excited to hear about your trip. Ditto for us on the Waffle House. We don't have any up here either, so when we drive to TN to visit family it is our go-to stop on the way.

Twoboysnmygirl said:
Yes! I was hoping you would start before I left and I could start reading!! You should update again, it will make good plane reading for me! ;)

I was terrified we would have this same situation with how the weather has been. We drove in 2012 and it was horrible. I had never driven straight through the night and really hated how it was so dark and there was nothing to look at for all those hours! Then on the way back we had car trouble (in the middle of the night as well) and what took us 17 hours on the way down...took 21 hours to get back!! :scared1: We nearly killed each other. ;) So, the thought of driving by myself (since I'm just going with Savannah & her friend) did not sound good! It looks like we'll be good to takeoff this morning! No rain or snow, although we had some winds yesterday that were making me nervous. Uh, enough rambling about myself!

I can't wait to read more! So glad you found something to help with the car sickness! :thumbsup2

We about killed each other lol

Hope you all are having fun on your trip.

PrncessA said:
Wow, the ice and snow is outta control! This winter has been brutal everywhere it looks like. We have had a heat wave the last 3 days in the low-mid 40's with rain, alot of the snow melted and refroze at night. This morning I woke up and let the dog out, and there was snow everywhere again.:headache: At least it isn't inches...

So excited to hear about your trip. Ditto for us on the Waffle House. We don't have any up here either, so when we drive to TN to visit family it is our go-to stop on the way.

So over this winter. Nice heat wave this weekend . Back to cold today

Supposed to get some snow tomorrow and wed. Supposedly just light dusting

This better be the end!!!

Glad found another waffle house lover

My southern friends dont get it as they are on every corner down there. So jealous lol

Hey all. I am posting from my phone as my internet is out and won't be back on til Thursday. Thank god for my phone and 4G or I would have lost my mind by now lol

Once we are back up and running, will continue my updates

Hey all. I am posting from my phone as my internet is out and won't be back on til Thursday. Thank god for my phone and 4G or I would have lost my mind by now lol

Once we are back up and running, will continue my updates

I like your ticker.

Okay, so the internet is back up and I have some time, so thought I would continue. I could kick myself now for not taking notes. My mind is pretty fuzzy :rotfl:

Lets see. We left off with having a meal at waffle house in VA. After dinner, I believe we gassed up and hit the road. I asked Steve if he wanted me to take over, but he declined :confused3

So we drove for awhile. Nothing too exciting to report.

I not sure if i mentioned it or not, but we did hit a little traffic, and were stuck for about 20 mins in one spot and while I was just staring out window, a teeny tiny mouse was playing and running around on the side of road...very strange sight. Not something I expect to see on the side of the road.

Anyways, back on track. Steve drove to SC and we gassed up again I believe and we hit South of the Border. That place is so crazy and tacky, but you can't drive to Fl and not stop there :rotfl2:

We were going grab food there, but there was nothing good we wanted to try. They used to have a diner, but closed it a few years ago. While in one of the stores, I must have been called Ma'am million times. Southerners are so polite. But it did kind of make me feel old :lmao:

I had to take a pic of something from there, so here you go

I forgot one other thing. Remember our flight that we did not take as we were worried it might be delayed or cancelled. Well late in the afternoon, we got the following text

We were so excited . You might ask why :confused3

Since they cancelled it and we did not, we got a full refund and it was credited to our card 3 days later, which came in handy :cool1:

Okay, back to South of Border. We had to buy something there, so we got a south of border bumper sticker.

It was now my turn to drive finally :drive:

Steve told me to wake him in an hour and he take back over or drive longer until I was tired.

I was in the zone and drove all the way to GA :upsidedow

By that time, Steve was rested, so we gassed up and he took over.

Oh, the place we got gas in VA was called Dumfries. That name just made me laugh. I am easily amused :rotfl2:

Anyways, we drove rest of way to my Bil House. He lives in Poinciana, about 35 mins away from Disney. We arrived there about 4:45am and were dying of exhaustion :faint:

After giving hugs and talking for a few mins, we all collapsed in his guest bedroom. When I laid down, it was the weirdest feeling. I felt like I was still driving in the car. so strange. We slept until about 9:30. I got up first and got clothes for us out of car as we had brought hardly anything in the house. It was so warm out, which I was loving coming from frigid temps :beach:

So, we all got ready and drove over to Pop Century to check in.

We were finally here :cool1:

The room they had for us originally was not ready,but once I told her our flight was cancelled and we drove all night, she felt bad for us and got on the phone and found us a new room that was ready.

We got the 60s, building 4, right by big jar of play dough.

We were in the back of the resort, with a lake view. It was so quiet back there pixiedust:

Our magic bands opened up the doors and we collapsed in the beds for little bit.

I am going to stop here for now. I will continue back up in few days

Sorry this update was all over the place, but that is what happens when you don't take notes :upsidedow

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter