Unplugged of the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

swfmco

Mouseketeer
Kudos to Pete for realizing that his lack of passion for the parks meant that it was time to move away the Unplugged show. I will miss his insights on general topics, no matter how out of reach his tastes and lifestyle is now for the average listener.

For the future, I hope that:

1) The first 15 minutes of every show are not spent on “wellness checks”. Save your personal issues for the after show.

2) The cast of locals sticks to Pete’s intension that the show return to a trip planning focus and not view everything through the prism of a local and not be dismissive of things that they have no use for or can’t afford (ie Minnie Vans).

3) We aren’t subjected to weekly rants about the “poor CMs” and how they can’t afford this, that, or the other thing. Constant discussions of living wages and such don’t help anybody looking for trip planning advice.

I’m sure there are other things others can point to for improvement. Having Pete as the host gave the show a cache that put it a cut above the rest. I hope the remaining group can pull together a cohesive show that is true to its original purpose.

Well, everything that you want is absolutely everything I do not want!

1. So you don't want to know how the cast of a show you enjoy are doing?

2. Minnie Vans ARE stupid.

3. I can afford things so I don't care if others cant. I think that's the gist of your third point.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see the direction the show takes. They cant please everyone. Do I want to listen to an hour about how to make dining reservations? No, I do not but I am sure that someone else does.

Well, everything that you want is absolutely everything I do not want!

1. So you don't want to know how the cast of a show you enjoy are doing?

2. Minnie Vans ARE stupid.

3. I can afford things so I don't care if others cant. I think that's the gist of your third point.
1) Personally, I don’t care about how the cast is feeling, especially for the first 10 minutes of every show.

2) My SO would be extremely less interested in extensive park visitations if there wasn’t the MV option. They’re not interested in the gypsy cab option of a local Uber/Lyft.

3) Some on the show like to project their own feelings from their times as CMs or TMs to complain about wages. As a tourist, what the employees make doesn’t really play into my vacation planning, so the constant discussions about it are a waste of time IMHO.

I love that Ryno was interested in his co workers mental health. Nothing at all wrong with that.
It’s pretty pointless. Starts the show off on the wrong foot. Get all granola about your feelings on the after show to an audience that is paying for content because they are more engaged with the personalities.

Absolutely! I do not care for the plight of the peasants toiling at the Disney parks. I want to hear more about things my people desire, like the VIP tours, the latest D&B handbags (that's Dooney and Burke, you uncultured swines), and discussion of the best suites on property. Value Resorts?! How ghastly! I also couldn't care less about the struggles of the measly hosts of the show. sit down, zip it, and get to the content!

:rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2

Good god, if I ever became like that, I'd punch myself.
I like the show as it is, and the format it's been recently.
I wish the dining show would review the value and moderate food courts, though, as a change of pace. :idea:
More Ryno and more Julie, please!

I've always enjoyed Pete's involvement on the show and his personality. I don't always agree with him or the cast but I appreciate their view points and think his engagement is/was very entertaining and funny. The health check ins are not a deal breaker one way or the other. I want people to be well but it shouldn't be the focus of every show. I do think the show could benefit from bringing in non-local guests to offer a varied view point and their take on parks, planning, etc if they visit just once or a few times a year. This could also help them with their travel agency since they could do some data research for the agency. I think if the show was just trip planning, it would get tired really fast. I do space out when there's content I don't really have an interest in, like ABD travel trips, cruising or using their travel agency.

The reality is as the show is only taped once a week most of the "news" is already old. I doubt too many people are going to tune in to find out what latest cupcake is being offered for the current faux celebration. If they aren't giving commentary about the state of the parks and current happenings, what's the point? I love hearing their perspective on things as they are in the parks often, and some are past CM's and know current ones. They have a perspective I can't possibly have living in SW PA, and I tune in to hear it. If I simply needed help with my travel planning I'd just ask my TA.

I watch these videos because I find them entertaining and look forward to seeing where they are headed.

Last edited:
It’s pretty pointless. Starts the show off on the wrong foot. Get all granola about your feelings on the after show to an audience that is paying for content because they are more engaged with the personalities.

Was it better when it was John or Kevin shilling for special Dreams Unlimited ABD trips for 15 minutes?

I think not.

I'd rather hear about the host's personal lives and how they are doing every week. I care about these people. I will never be able to afford to take an ABD trip.

Kudos to Pete for realizing that his lack of passion for the parks meant that it was time to move away the Unplugged show. I will miss his insights on general topics, no matter how out of reach his tastes and lifestyle is now for the average listener.

For the future, I hope that:

1) The first 15 minutes of every show are not spent on “wellness checks”. Save your personal issues for the after show.

2) The cast of locals sticks to Pete’s intension that the show return to a trip planning focus and not view everything through the prism of a local and not be dismissive of things that they have no use for or can’t afford (ie Minnie Vans).

3) We aren’t subjected to weekly rants about the “poor CMs” and how they can’t afford this, that, or the other thing. Constant discussions of living wages and such don’t help anybody looking for trip planning advice.

I’m sure there are other things others can point to for improvement. Having Pete as the host gave the show a cache that put it a cut above the rest. I hope the remaining group can pull together a cohesive show that is true to its original purpose.

Sometimes, yes, the opening banter and housekeeping runs a little too long. Keep it to 5 minutes or less, and move on to actual content. There certainly can be a balance of news and topical discussions, and trip planning segments. Without Pete at the wheel, I would like to see them go back to the previous, more structured, format - open with any housekeeping (but keep it quick), a couple of news items, rapid-fires, and then a segment (or two) of content that can fall under the "trip-planning" umbrella. Have a team member report from one of the parks like they used to. Discuss a specific resort each show. Put up polls her on the boards and on their social media and discuss the results. There are a lot of things they can do - many of which they've done in the past. With Pete at the helm, they could go a little less structured. Without him, it will probably be too all over the place.

Was it better when it was John or Kevin shilling for special Dreams Unlimited ABD trips for 15 minutes?

I think not.

I'd rather hear about the host's personal lives and how they are doing every week. I care about these people. I will never be able to afford to take an ABD trip.
That or when it became "why cruise line is a better value than the theme parks" every week.

I like hearing about how the cast is doing, but that’s just me

I like knowing how cast members are doing a Disney and what’s being done to make sure they’re being treated fairly and what’s currently impacting them because again I care. It feels a little bad to be like I just want to enjoy my expensive vacation without caring about if the people who make magic for me are living in their car in the cast parking lots.

I don’t actually need trip planning advice anymore. I did when I first came to Disboards but that was in 2007 for me. I think a trip planning segment on its own separate from the weekly show could be super helpful for first time planners helping people navigate different aspects of genie plus, ADRs, etc.. but focusing solely on trip planning means I do not care about the show because I know what to do when I get to the parks. But I want to know is what has currently changed in the parks- new events, food, shows. What has closed or is down for refurbishment.

ETA- also I don’t think it’s just me that likes to know how the casting doing and their thoughts because that’s why the aftershow seems to be so popular

Last edited:
That or when it became "why cruise line is a better value than the theme parks" every week.
Actually, it was those segments that made me reevaluate giving cruise line a second go after our first cruise in early 2020 wasn’t perfect and I’m so glad we did. We are been absolutely hooked since then and yes- DCL cost wise often comes out cheaper for us but we don’t cruise in the summer or over the holidays when prices are ridiculously high.

Going to be honest - the constant shilling for DCL turned me off this show and made me not want to watch it when Pete was on. Look - I get it. This team is producing fun content for us for free, and the main objective is to promote their travel agency. I'm totally fine with that. It's smart business and I have great respect for the folks that came up with this model and created this community.

But as someone who loves cruising and has cruised multiple times on DCL, as well as other lines - DCL is a niche market. For those that fall into that niche, nothing compares. But for everyone else - there are lots of other great options. I have been very put off by Pete's insistance that DCL was the be all end all of cruising. It's really not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter