***UPDATE****Being in Disney is what matters....but convince me please

4fordisneyworld

DIS Veteran
***We are going!! We got all the nights we needed at SSR and after many hrs of contemplating it, I booked it all today and we are ready to be in the world. Thank you everyone for your advice and kind words. Truly hoping this will help with the yuck we are going through right now. I feel so blessed we have DVC so we can make a last min trip like this and be in our happy place very soon.*****

The sum of a long story. We usually go to the world every April and it includes the dates of 13th and 16th. That covers my husband's birthday and date of his death anniversary. Yesterday marked 5yrs since he has been gone, and this is this is the first year since, that we have not made our annual trip. Both my girls are in competitive gymnastics and in season right now, plus we had an extremely rough trip to the world over Christmas. (medical emergency)
So we had agreed that we needed to skip this year and try to make it through at home. Yesterday was BAD. Today not much better. What ails the sadness? Only you guys get how Disney can help. To those who think I am avoiding dealing with our loss, not the case. Other things are in place for healing, but sometimes you need the escape and to be able to rest in your happy place.

So, here is my reason for needing your input!! The first time we went for these rough dates, we stayed at SSR. We had a studio booked and in the end we were moved to a 1BR because of some really bad stuff that was in our room....blood being the worst. It was a rough stay, that did calm down, but tainted me on the resort quite a bit. (I know bad stays can happen anywhere...this wasn't our first and it happens)

After making it through yesterday, we decided a 5 day break from gym after their next meet (next weekend) would be just what we all need and we are just gonna do it!! SSR is all that is available....without waitlisting, and it is too close for my comfort to do that.

Do I throw my concerns to the wind and book the studio at SSR, because it means we will be in Disney and that is what matters???? Are there areas that have been rehab that I should request? Also being just the three of us (they are still young) I like to be closer to the action for safety purposes. Although I think I will rent a car this time.

Thank you for input Dis Buddies!!

I would at least give a resort a second chance. I have never stayed in the rooms but I really like SSR. The kind of problem you had should not be repeated.

We just spent a week at SSR in March. Our first visit ever to that resort. Stayed in the Springs section. We had a wonderful experience at SSR. I would book that studio and go.

First, :grouphug: to you. I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Go. Stay at SSR. (And if anything needs to be dealt with - go to a manager in person and explain both the issue and that you were happy to give the resort another go - managers do want people to have a wonderful stay and know of any issues)

Here's my take.

I've been going for years. Owned for eight years. And I had a horrendous stay over Christmas/NYE. It did not involve any emergencies. But it was like a perfect storm with daily issues. Mostly IT based. I was shocked. I had never had anything but wonderful stays - any small issues or even a few large issues would never even hit my radar in all these years because I have a good balance of being easy going and skilled at dealing with issues at the moment. Plus, I've been very lucky with outstanding stays for the most part.

However, this trip was different. It was constant and was a myriad of departments. And couldn't be fixed at times.

Anyway, I'm rambling. But it really affected my feelings about WDW. (I had some issues dealing with member satisfaction as well) AND I HATED THAT IT DID! HATED that. And angry and saddened and frustrated that it had - and did everything to try and change my viewpoint and feelings. But it had affected my thoughts regardless.

I went down for the Princess Half Marathon to cheer on some friends. I booked and left on the same day. :rotfl2: Total spontaneity and I had the most magical resort stays - the most magical CMs and everything was instantly wiped from my memory. Instantly. I felt like I had been given a gift so to speak. So thankful for this new memory.

So here's to you going. Enjoying SSR. And allowing this trip to be a new memory that leaves the other poor stay behind. SSR can be so peaceful.

Have a wonderful time.

Oh and I think that they should be finished the rehab and the rooms really look lovely. EDIT: I'm wrong. Some sections are still to be rehabbed. I know that The Springs and Congress Park are finished. And I believe that The Paddocks are as well. I love Congress Park but The Springs should be a great request for proximity. Or parts of The Grandstand (no rehab yet).

Here's pictures of the rehab - http://allears.net/acc/g_ss_refurb.htm

And here is a video - studio with the rehab - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbe-LYx-k3M

These dates are listed by Sammie:

Carousel - 03/03/13-05/10/13
Grandstand - 05/10/13-08/03/13

First, :grouphug: to you. I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Go. Stay at SSR. (And if anything needs to be dealt with - go to a manager in person and explain both the issue and that you were happy to give the resort another go - managers do want people to have a wonderful stay and know of any issues)

Here's my take.

I've been going for years. Owned for eight years. And I had a horrendous stay over Christmas/NYE. It did not involve any emergencies. But it was like a perfect storm with daily issues. Mostly IT based. I was shocked. I had never had anything but wonderful stays - any small issues or even a few large issues would never even hit my radar in all these years because I have a good balance of being easy going and skilled at dealing with issues at the moment. Plus, I've been very lucky with outstanding stays for the most part.

However, this trip was different. It was constant and was a myriad of departments. And couldn't be fixed at times.

Anyway, I'm rambling. But it really affected my feelings about WDW. (I had some issues dealing with member satisfaction as well) AND I HATED THAT IT DID! HATED that. And angry and saddened and frustrated that it had - and did everything to try and change my viewpoint and feelings. But it had affected my thoughts regardless.

I went down for the Princess Half Marathon to cheer on some friends. I booked and left on the same day. :rotfl2: Total spontaneity and I had the most magical resort stays - the most magical CMs and everything was instantly wiped from my memory. Instantly. I felt like I had been given a gift so to speak. So thankful for this new memory.

So here's to you going. Enjoying SSR. And allowing this trip to be a new memory that leaves the other poor stay behind. SSR can be so peaceful.

Have a wonderful time.

Thank you for your story and input. We have had several hiccups on other stays as well, and I usually seem to deal with them just fine. This one had just burned me due to their lack of concern for what I found in the room. Peaceful is what we need so I think I will plan this, and trust it will all work out. (however, last two days we need no longer avail now, while i have been debating this morning...that went quick. Have to keep watching.)

Thank you for your story and input. We have had several hiccups on other stays as well, and I usually seem to deal with them just fine. This one had just burned me due to their lack of concern for what I found in the room. Peaceful is what we need so I think I will plan this, and trust it will all work out. (however, last two days we need no longer avail now, while i have been debating this morning...that went quick. Have to keep watching.)

Exactly. I get it.

I believe I know what is happening for them. They are getting too many small nonsense complaints and I truly think they are becoming hardened to the issues that are huge and need to be treated with concern.

Keep on it. It could happen at any minute. Something somewhere will jump back into the system. Trust me. Try even the hardest resorts as well. I can't even explain to you what kind of wonderful nonsense I've grabbed over the years - days before. :rotfl2: Truly. You would be surprised how many cancellations there are at the last minute.

That last trip of mine in February. I flew into MCO with only one night booked out of three that I needed. I had BW view booked for the second night booked the day that I left. I grabbed another BW view on arrival and didn't even have to change rooms. And then grabbed an AKV Value for the final night.

In the past - I've grabbed full stays at one resort very close to the arrival date. And remember - I know you don't like this close - but under seven days there are no waitlists so every cancellation is a grab for all. Heck with the new system many rooms come online over seven days out without going to waitlist first as well. So scan - scan - scan.

I'm so sorry for your loss, and I understand how being in WDW somehow helps, even if just a little. Should SSR open up, I would definitey go, even knowing the past issues you had. I love the Beach Club Resort, yet my last stay there left a bad taste in my mouth, so much so that I hesitate to ever stay there again, and I'm not fussy, so I know why you hesitate. The customer service there was horrendous, to say the least. One of my issues was an almost dead bunny laying under the patio table on my first floor balcony. When I called the front desk, they were so blase about it, and told me they would send someone to pick the animal up eventually. I guess in the meantime, I was suppose to sit there and watch it die. I'm just grateful I didn't have any children with me. That would not have been a magical way to start a Disney vacation! I realize it wasn't anyone's fault, but one doesn't expect to find a dead animal on their Disney patio, and the cast member who answered the phone could acted a little more epathetic. That was only one of many issues that trip.

I'm so sorry for your loss, and I understand how being in WDW somehow helps, even if just a little. Should SSR open up, I would definitey go, even knowing the past issues you had. I love the Beach Club Resort, yet my last stay there left a bad taste in my mouth, so much so that I hesitate to ever stay there again, and I'm not fussy, so I know why you hesitate. The customer service there was horrendous, to say the least. One of my issues was an almost dead bunny laying under the patio table on my first floor balcony. When I called the front desk, they were so blase about it, and told me they would send someone to pick the animal up eventually. I guess in the meantime, I was suppose to sit there and watch it die. I'm just grateful I didn't have any children with me. That would not have been a magical way to start a Disney vacation! I realize it wasn't anyone's fault, but one doesn't expect to find a dead animal on their Disney patio, and the cast member who answered the phone could acted a little more epathetic. That was only one of many issues that trip.
How sad about the bunny. I know I would have been in tears.

How sad about the bunny. I know I would have been in tears.

I was! It was awful not being able to do anything. I was on the first floor, on the backside of the Beach Club Villas which faces the road, so I don't know if he was hit by a car (there was no trauma as far as I could see), or ate poisin, I just don't know. I think I was more upset because I didn't understand how housekeeping didn't see him while cleaning the room, but maybe he had just crawled there to die. :sad1:

Obviously you are being drawn there right now, so go!

Unfortunately things can come up on vacations that are out of our control and yes it should have been dealt with better, but I'm sure the staff see so much happen that they become kind of blind to things after awhile. That does NOT make it right, but I'm sure that's what happened and at least it was dealt with.

Anyway, I say go and have some fun! It sounds like you and your daughters need a break and this might be the best thing for you guys! :)

Go ahead and enjoy the trip regardless of where you are staying!

we have had a couple of not so perfect stays and it has not stopped us from going back. Overall, WDW is a magical place and the magic will take over despite what you are handed. I agree that often the general public complains about trivial things and the CM's can get burned out from dealing with those that when something more serious crops up, they don't react as they should.

. One of my issues was an almost dead bunny laying under the patio table on my first floor balcony. .
That's about the saddest thing I've heard, not the way to start a vacation, especially with little kids around!

I've stayed at SSR several times, mostly in 2 bds, and once in a studio! I think the studios do get the most wear and tear in any resort but I've never had cleanliness issues at SSR. We were moved once when I reported that the carpet was very wet, it didn't smell, the roomd A/C I think was set to 60, but clearly the carpet had been shampooed and had not had the time to dry!

Even in my 35+ DVC stays at other resorts, I've encountered very few and mostly insignificant things like bad light bulbs, candies/crackers missed underneath a couch! We had a leaky toilet once and they repaired it while we were at the parks! Really, we've been quite fortunate with cleanliness and well appointed villa!!

My favorite resorts from one to 4: OKW, Kidani, SSR, BWV

You know what helps you manage through the tough times, and if being in WDW helps, I say go 4 it!! Im like other posters, give SSR a 2nd chance. We stayed there once, not my fave among other DVC resorts we have stayed in, and in fairness, cant say SSR is my least fave as we havent stayed in all of them yet. But it puts U in the World, and if thats waht is most important to U, then I say go 4 it!!

I completely understand about needing your happy place, so go and enjoy. We are staying at SSR in less than a month in a studio - after many visits there, our favorite area is the Grandstand - I know it looks far, but that is just by road - there is a walking path just behind the bus stop that gets you to the beautiful, newer pool there, and literally 1-2 minutes past that is the Carriage House, and the DVC ferry. It is peaceful and quiet there too, and we love the golf views, or you can be in buildings right beside the pool Enjoy and hugs to you all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter