• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

UPDATE - CDC investigating all four Disney Cruise ships

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it important to note that an asymptomatic passenger may still be dangerous to people at the port of call. Vaccination rates in the Caribbean are highly variable.

USVI is just over 50% right now. The Cayman Islands are nearly fully vaccinated, but only for those over age 16. Jamaica is at 20%.

So when we discuss "living with it," we do speak from a privileged position compared to some in the ports of call, who may also have more limited medical facilities.

(ETA: My vax percentages are via Reuters who have a site of stats that is quite usable.)

Last edited:
outbreaks of basically mild or no symptoms also ….but the word outbreak in the news makes it sound worse. I’m in the same camp, need for people to get pass counting cases and focus on hospitals and treatments at this
I think it important to note that an asymptomatic passenger may still be dangerous to people at the port of call. Vaccination rates in the Caribbean are highly variable.

USVI is just over 50% right now. The Cayman Islands are nearly fully vaccinated, but only for those over age 16. Jamaica is at 20%.

So when we discuss "living with it," we do speak from a privileged position compared to some in the ports of call, who may also have more limited medical facilities.
This 100%. Plus the hospitals on many of the islands are just not equipped for local outbreaks.

This 100%. Plus the hospitals on many of the islands are just not equipped for local outbreaks.

Even with a "everyone must be vaccinated" approach by lines - which excludes under-5s and would be problematic for DCL and a few others - if the lines were to then say "we will only test if symptoms exist," the ports might have some strong opinions about that. They can deny docking at any time, on no notice. That would be problematic; I'm not sure the people happy about not seeing port testing would feel the same joy when the Bahamas cut off docking (including at private islands) or local staff at CC noped on out (as is already being seen under current protocols, I'm sure it would be worse under looser ones).

Trying to find a place to get a PCR test in NY is nearly impossible. In our area so many people are trying to get tests and can't get appointments. If cases ramp up it will just get worse.

MJ

Trying to find a place to get a PCR test in NY is nearly impossible. In our area so many people are trying to get tests and can't get appointments. If cases ramp up it will just get worse.

MJ
This is true in the midwest too. Everywhere that lets you book in advance is booked up until next week, and everywhere that does day of is selling out within seconds of when they release new appointments.

This is true in the midwest too. Everywhere that lets you book in advance is booked up until next week, and everywhere that does day of is selling out within seconds of when they release new appointments.
I guess the lesson is to book the testing appointment in advance.

Do you still need a PCR before cruising or just the one at the port?

This has been our experience in Alabama as well. I had my son's PCR test done yesterday at CVS and was notified today due to high volume of tests we won't get results back for 3-4 more days. That doesn't work with our cruise schedule since we leave on Friday. I've spent most of today scrambling to get him tested somewhere that can give us results by tomorrow. This is stressful!

All I have to say is good luck to all of you adventurous souls willing to stick it out and cruise right now. I am glad and sad that ours isn't until next summer due to 3 cruise cancellations. I hope everyone can get on board and doesn't have to quarantine or test positive. Happy cruising.

today....CDC says no one should be taking a cruise right now no matter how many shots they’ve had.
Well then the CDC needs to be consistent and also say that nobody should travel to WDW, Go to any sporting event, or go to school or work IMO You’re putting yourself at a higher risk because there you are lacking the testing, vaxx AND mask screening. Oh in the past six months I’ve been to WDW and on a cruise. I felt much safer on the cruise

I read that 75 cruise ships are experiencing outbreaks. I hope they don't shut down again. I'm more in the we need to learn to live with it camp. I probably won't cruise again until we they get there. I don't need the drama.

I'm in the same boat as you! No pun intended but fitting!!

Well then the CDC needs to be consistent and also say that nobody should travel to WDW, Go to any sporting event, or go to school or work IMO You’re putting yourself at a higher risk because there you are lacking the testing, vaxx AND mask screening. Oh in the past six months I’ve been to WDW and on a cruise. I felt much safer on the cruise
I am on a cruise right now (not Disney) and it's great. There aren't "outbreaks" of COVID as much as some numbers of positive tests, which is not the same thing.

To be fair they honestly do. The CDC has been consistent throughout about not really wanting people to go to all these events and large crowds especially if masking is lax and social distancing difficult. There have been varying allowances on behaviors like masking outdoors vs indoors with respects to knowledge gained and the presence of vaccines but even now boosters for daily life have been stressed upon let a alone travel.

The entire U.S. is considered under the highest level on a country basis.

Here's CDC's guidelines for domestic travel https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/travel-during-covid19.html

On the other hand understand that as far as reach goes the CDC has a lot more say in the cruise industry than they do all the destinations out there with all the 50 states, etc so it would make sense that they would give this guidance about cautioning against cruising, it's their wheelhouse.

I've got a few DISers that have DCL cruises next month and February so I've been watching how this is going at least somewhat watching.

I am on a cruise right now (not Disney) and it's great. There aren't "outbreaks" of COVID as much as some numbers of positive tests, which is not the same thing.
I did read that the wording outbreak may want to shift (it was an opinion piece). Outbreak varied amongst states though to in how many cases categorized it as an outbreak with some just being a few people tied to one place and point in time. Proportionally it may help with risk analysis if it's presented like the OP was where it was the number of people positive compared to the number of individuals aboard. But outbreak has sorta just been the word used throughout all of this so I get why it's stuck around even though to us know this far along into the pandemic outbreak may mean something quite different in our eyes now.

There are outbreaks but crew currently onboard are not allowed to post anything or say anything to the media. Friends still at sea say they're being peer pressured not to use social media or talk about it because it's putting "everyone's livelihood" at risk. They're still making crew members share cabins and eating spaces and it spreads so fast. Expect a lot of shows / character appearances to be cut down because it tore through the Ent. department. There are weird loopholes to testing and things not really being checked on embark or slipping through the cracks for crew - I wouldn't recommend being at sea right now if more ports close.

There are outbreaks but crew currently onboard are not allowed to post anything or say anything to the media. Friends still at sea say they're being peer pressured not to use social media or talk about it because it's putting "everyone's livelihood" at risk. They're still making crew members share cabins and eating spaces and it spreads so fast. Expect a lot of shows / character appearances to be cut down because it tore through the Ent. department. There are weird loopholes to testing and things not really being checked on embark or slipping through the cracks for crew - I wouldn't recommend being at sea right now if more ports close.
That’s a really horrible and tough position for the crew to be in 😔 I’d hope the crew aren’t being forced to still share after testing positive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter