UPDATE - CDC investigating all four Disney Cruise ships

Status
Not open for further replies.
If DCL changes their policy on when the credits need to be used, I'm moving our cruise. Until then, I'm not sure what to do. Our 60 days is next week. I either commit to the cruise or get a refund, because I can't see us using the credits before Sept 22 if we don't use them at March break.

There are outbreaks but crew currently onboard are not allowed to post anything or say anything to the media. Friends still at sea say they're being peer pressured not to use social media or talk about it because it's putting "everyone's livelihood" at risk. They're still making crew members share cabins and eating spaces and it spreads so fast. Expect a lot of shows / character appearances to be cut down because it tore through the Ent. department. There are weird loopholes to testing and things not really being checked on embark or slipping through the cracks for crew - I wouldn't recommend being at sea right now if more ports close.

They need to file federal complaints with OSHA, NRLB and their Union (if they have one). Employees the right to communicate about and protest their job conditions.

There are outbreaks but crew currently onboard are not allowed to post anything or say anything to the media. Friends still at sea say they're being peer pressured not to use social media or talk about it because it's putting "everyone's livelihood" at risk. They're still making crew members share cabins and eating spaces and it spreads so fast. Expect a lot of shows / character appearances to be cut down because it tore through the Ent. department. There are weird loopholes to testing and things not really being checked on embark or slipping through the cracks for crew - I wouldn't recommend being at sea right now if more ports close.
Which ship? Thank you.

I'm an elementary school teacher and this basically sounds like what my school has been like all year (orders to keep our mouths shut included). The only difference is that we don't sleep there (although our grade level actually has a 3 day/2 night field trip planned for March :rolleyes2). So no, I'm not going to cancel my March Fantasy cruise due to "outbreaks". I'll be happy just to be onboard, and will probably be safer there than I am at work.

Last edited:

That’s a really horrible and tough position for the crew to be in 😔 I’d hope the crew aren’t being forced to still share after testing positive?

This is where it's tricky, the difference is on land if you catch symptoms you can take that time off work, isolate and get fresh air and then when your symptoms subside you might feel ready to return to work.

At sea it's not up to the crew member, you need to immediately isolate at first symptoms and then wait a few days for testing and to be cleared by the medical team and get discipline if you even try to leave your cabin. Confirmed cases need security to watch corridors, and your roommate even if totally fine and asymptomatic needs to also stay in the room for that entire time just because there's no avoiding being a close contact.

So for departments like Entertainment where you might have Vibe And Edge Counsellors rooming together because of similar sleep schedules, even taking two out of the rotation throws everything off and puts pressure on the other 3-5 to run everything else safely (you can't just transfer over a YA from the Club/Lab to cover unless they complete that training) so it's easier to just close until everyone's cleared

And remember on ships we have a finite number of people who are trained/qualified to do our job - let alone have been screened to work directly with children like the YA team so they'd sooner play it safe and isolate people than risk more spread, especially since it's so hard to get new crew quickly (and also since crew are very rarely allowed, if at all, to get off nowadays anyway)

If DCL changes their policy on when the credits need to be used, I'm moving our cruise. Until then, I'm not sure what to do. Our 60 days is next week. I either commit to the cruise or get a refund, because I can't see us using the credits before Sept 22 if we don't use them at March break.
Do you know if DCL will let us move a cruise that is past the 60 day point? We are a group of senior citizens and feeling a bit nervous About our cruise next month. We would like to hold off a little longer, couple months, to see.
TIA

Do you still need a PCR before cruising or just the one at the port?
For anyone unvaccinated, you do. Kids under 5 cannot get vaxxed so they would have to be tested. Also between now and Jan 13, Disney is allowing unvaccinated passengers under 12 on board with a negative test—after that everyone age 5 and up must be vaccinated.

Do you know if DCL will let us move a cruise that is past the 60 day point? We are a group of senior citizens and feeling a bit nervous About our cruise next month. We would like to hold off a little longer, couple months, to see.
TIA
I don't completely understand, but I know that if you cancel before the 60 days, you can get a refund or put your credits back in to your account. It's possible that if you cancel within the 60 days, you can get your money back, but are no longer eligible to re-bank your credits.

Someone else will have to confirm that my understanding is right.

This is where it's tricky, the difference is on land if you catch symptoms you can take that time off work, isolate and get fresh air and then when your symptoms subside you might feel ready to return to work.

At sea it's not up to the crew member, you need to immediately isolate at first symptoms and then wait a few days for testing and to be cleared by the medical team and get discipline if you even try to leave your cabin. Confirmed cases need security to watch corridors, and your roommate even if totally fine and asymptomatic needs to also stay in the room for that entire time just because there's no avoiding being a close contact.

So for departments like Entertainment where you might have Vibe And Edge Counsellors rooming together because of similar sleep schedules, even taking two out of the rotation throws everything off and puts pressure on the other 3-5 to run everything else safely (you can't just transfer over a YA from the Club/Lab to cover unless they complete that training) so it's easier to just close until everyone's cleared

And remember on ships we have a finite number of people who are trained/qualified to do our job - let alone have been screened to work directly with children like the YA team so they'd sooner play it safe and isolate people than risk more spread, especially since it's so hard to get new crew quickly (and also since crew are very rarely allowed, if at all, to get off nowadays anyway)
Oh definitely, I meant more that I wouldn’t want to be forced to isolate with someone confirmed positive if I hadn’t tested positive myself, and would hope the crew would be extended the same courtesy (while still isolating) as it puts them more at risk. Far more concerned for the crew’s wellbeing than the impact on onboard activities TBH.

That sounds awful.

TIA
I don't completely understand, but I know that if you cancel before the 60 days, you can get a refund or put your credits back in to your account. It's possible that if you cancel within the 60 days, you can get your money back, but are no longer eligible to re-bank your credits.

Someone else will have to confirm that my understanding is right.
Okay, here goes. This is now pretty massively complicated but I am quite confident this is all accurate. To be safe, given all the changes, it is best to confirm if any penalties would when you call to rebook.
  • Under the temporary "Flexible Refund Policy" if you are within 14 days of sailing, and meet one of the following Covid-related conditions, you can cancel or rebook to a cruise prior to September 30, 2022 with no penalty. If you rebook, any bonus FCC you have will be transferred to your new sailing. If you cancel, any bonus FCC you have will return to your account and can be used for a new booking. Note that if you purchased insurance through Disney, that is the one exception that is not refundable under this policy. The eligible conditions within 14 days of sailing are:
    • Have symptoms of COVID-19
    • Have a temperature of 100.4°F or greater
    • Have had known exposure to a person with COVID-19 within the previous 14 days
    • Have tested positive for COVID-19
  • If don't qualify under the above Covid-19 flexible policy, and if you booked an IGT, OGT, or VGT rate, then your entire cruise fare is non-refundable and non-transferable to another cruise, regardless of when you cancel.
  • For all other fares (i.e., standard or "GTY"), if you don't qualify for the Covid-19 flexible refund policy, then within 60 days of sailing, your cruise is considered "in penalty" if you cancel. Under the Disney Cruise Terms & Conditions, "changes to the vacation commencement date or changes of Guest names will be considered cancellations" -- therefore regardless of whether you cancel or rebook, you would forfeit the penalty amount below depending on how your cruise length and close you are to your sailing when you cancel.
Cruises 1 to 5 Nights (Excluding Suites and Concierge Staterooms)*
Days Prior to Vacation Commencement DateFee Amount
60 days or moreNo fee
59-45 daysDeposit per Guest
44-30 days50% of vacation price per Guest
29-15 days75% of vacation price per Guest
14 days or less100% of vacation price per Guest

Cruises 6 Nights or More (Excluding Suites and Concierge Staterooms)

60 days or moreNo fee
59-56 daysDeposit per Guest
55-30 days50% of vacation price per Guest
29-15 days75% of vacation price per Guest
14 days or less100% of vacation price per Guest

Suites and Concierge Staterooms

60 days or moreDeposit per Guest
59-56 days50% of vacation price per Guest
55-30 days75% of vacation price per Guest
29 days or less100% of vacation price per Guest

• If you purchased the insurance through Disney called the "Vacation Protection Plan" you have Cancel for Any Reason Coverage, that will give you a credit of 75% of your cruise fare (not including the insurance cost) to be used on a future Disney cruise within one year. This has no cash value if you don't use it on a future cruise, and may not be as good of a deal as just dealing with the penalty above (again depending on which penalty category you fall into).
  • For 2021 cruises, Disney used to have something called the "Cruise Date Flexibility" policy that allowed Guests to change their sail date up to 15 days prior to their cruise for any reason, however, this only applied to sailings through December 31, 2021, so it won't help anyone now. I mention this only because people who have sailed recently may post that this is an option based on their experience, but sadly has not been extended into 2022.
  • Finally, you can always ask for an exception. You would need a guest relations override, and it's case by case, but I find Disney is sometimes willing to work with people when they are rebooking rather than cancelling. For example, they did so in March 2020 when I rebooked a cruise when Covid had just happened to August 2020 and before Disney started cancelling cruises on its own (haha, I was so naive--remember when we all thought it'd be over by summer?). However, your new rebooked cruise would remain subject to the same cancellation penalty percentage as the original one (e.g., if at the time you rebook, you're in the 50% cancellation phase, then your new cruise would also be subject to a 50% cancellation penalty even if you cancel it before 60 days prior to the new cruise date).

I'll be curious to see if anyone can move dates to a later sailing once we're in the new year. We're within 38 days and I don't want to completely cancel, but I would just like to go in May instead. :rotfl: :rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter