Update from DCL

bwolfe

Mouseketeer
  • Any guest who has been in contact with someone from these areas, including guests with connecting flights in these locations, also will not be able to board, nor will anyone who has helped care for someone suspected or diagnosed with coronavirus, or who is currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure. Guests who have air travel booked through Disney Cruise Line will automatically have their flights rebooked on an alternate route. Guests who booked their own air travel arrangements should contact their airlines directly to make the appropriate changes.
Help me understand this. We have a flight booked for our 3/28 cruise. ATL to MIA...am I good?

Thank you for choosing Disney Cruise Line. We are excited to welcome you aboard and look forward to hosting you for a spectacular vacation at sea.

As you prepare for your cruise, you probably have questions and concerns about coronavirus, and you should know that we are taking precautionary steps to protect our guests and crew members. Your health and safety, as well as that of our crew, is our primary focus. We are also committed to keeping you informed and updated, and are happy to address any questions you have in advance of your cruise and once you're onboard.

Across our fleet, Disney Cruise Line is closely monitoring global developments and following the advice of public health authorities and medical experts. Therefore, the following guidelines are in effect and may continue to evolve as more information becomes available:
  • Any guest or crew member who has traveled from, to or through China, including Hong Kong and Macau, South Korea, or the Italian regions of Lombardy and Veneto, within 14 days of their sailing's departure will not be able to board our ships.
  • Any guest who has been in contact with someone from these areas, including guests with connecting flights in these locations, also will not be able to board, nor will anyone who has helped care for someone suspected or diagnosed with coronavirus, or who is currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure. Guests who have air travel booked through Disney Cruise Line will automatically have their flights rebooked on an alternate route. Guests who booked their own air travel arrangements should contact their airlines directly to make the appropriate changes.
  • We are screening all guests before they board, and anyone who feels unwell or shows flu-like symptoms will not be permitted to sail.
  • If your cruise includes a stop in Nassau or Castaway Cay, please note that The Bahamas will not allow anyone to disembark in any Bahamian port if they have been to China in the past 20 days prior to arrival. These guests may be able to sail but will be unable to visit The Bahamas.
I included the first section which has the locations. You don't have a connecting flight through those areas so looks like you're good.

You are missing the first bullet point:
  • Any guest or crew member who has traveled from, to or through China, including Hong Kong and Macau, South Korea, or the Italian regions of Lombardy and Veneto, within 14 days of their sailing’s departure will not be able to board our ships
So unless you are flying from ATL to Italy, or Asia to get to Miami, you should be OK ;)

The weird bit there is if Disney believe your flight via ATL may have had someone who came from HK on it they can deny boarding. Could get messy.

I’m surprised Japan and Iran aren’t on the list already.
Iran I can understand your point, but Japan shouldn't be on that list at all yet. I'm not sure what you are being fed by the news, but let me get you straight on the numbers.
Japan has 226 cases as of today.....not the over 900 that the media would have you believe. 715 cases that are being listed with in Japans numbers are from the Diamond Princess cruise ship that was docked in Yokohama and the majority of those are now back in their home countries which includes the United States. In addition the numbers in Japan are not rapidly increasing like in SouthKorea, Iran, Italy. Just in comparison:South Korea had 571 new cases detected today. Japan had 12 (7 of which were health workers that had been dealing with the cruise ship passengers). In addition Japan is taking extreme precautions to stop this in its tracks. All schools will close for a month, Tokyo Disney Parks are closed, as well as all tourist places that people gather. First case in Japan was detected on January 16. So for the last one month and one week without the measures now being in place, Japan has kept the numbers relatively under control.
Now the first case was detected in the USA 5 days later on January 21, currently their are 60 confirmed cases and that doesn't include any of the over 300 passengers that are now on American soil now from the cruise ship. Now think of the size difference and control measures in place in each country. Japan is roughly the size of California, but its Prime Minister and government is taking the threat seriously and working diligently to prevent the spread. The American governments stance by it's highest official is that we will all wake up one day and the coronavirus will have magically disappeared. Talk to me in one week when the numbers in the USA are surpassing that of Japan. Then let's see if the USA is on that list.

My apologies for a bit of a rant. Its just misinformation and views like yours that is going to cost me my upcoming cruise in 7 weeks on the Magic. Oh and by the way, I am an American in Japan. I've been working overtime and planning the upcoming cruise for three years. I can't afford to take the lose of money that a cancelletion would mean. But also don't worry that myself or my family would ever risk our own health or the health of others.

@tokyodisneydad I'm glad for your local Japan input. We have been keeping a watchful eye on the situation. DD15 is supposed to go on a school trip to Japan in 48 days. I hope she will be able to go! (Partly for selfish reasons as DH and I have a trip to Disney World booked for ourselves and not sure what we will do if her trip is cancelled.) At the moment the tour company will only postpone/cancel the trip if the US travel Advisory is at a level 3 'reconsider travel'. Currently the US travel advisory is a level 2 'exercise increased caution.' For comparison, South Korea is already at a level 3 advisory as of 2/26/20.

They have to rely on people's best nature to get an answer about Italy, with the open borders we have in Europe, we do not get any passport stamped here when travelling within Europe.

@tokyodisneydad I'm glad for your local Japan input. We have been keeping a watchful eye on the situation. DD15 is supposed to go on a school trip to Japan in 48 days. I hope she will be able to go! (Partly for selfish reasons as DH and I have a trip to Disney World booked for ourselves and not sure what we will do if her trip is cancelled.) At the moment the tour company will only postpone/cancel the trip if the US travel Advisory is at a level 3 'reconsider travel'. Currently the US travel advisory is a level 2 'exercise increased caution.' For comparison, South Korea is already at a level 3 advisory as of 2/26/20.
First let me apologize for my rant. I just can’t explain the stress and fear of having to cancel as I count day the days. I have no fear or worries about actually getting the virus, just the financial devastation it would cause me to cancel.
Ok about your daughter coming to Japan. I personally feel that Japan government is headed in the right direction to make Japan as safe as possible. With simple extra caution, washing hands, gargling etc. I wouldn’t worry about catching the virus. Having said that... a lot of places are closing and events are being canceled, but it’s a preventative measure more than the virus becoming an epidemic here. So take into account that the schedule will probably have major adjustments for her visit. In addition, schools are closed. So if her trip is connected to a sister school or something then that may play into things.

First let me apologize for my rant. I just can’t explain the stress and fear of having to cancel as I count day the days. I have no fear or worries about actually getting the virus, just the financial devastation it would cause me to cancel.
Ok about your daughter coming to Japan. I personally feel that Japan government is headed in the right direction to make Japan as safe as possible. With simple extra caution, washing hands, gargling etc. I wouldn’t worry about catching the virus. Having said that... a lot of places are closing and events are being canceled, but it’s a preventative measure more than the virus becoming an epidemic here. So take into account that the schedule will probably have major adjustments for her visit. In addition, schools are closed. So if her trip is connected to a sister school or something then that may play into things.
Thanks for the info! Her trip starts April 16th, so hopefully things will have improved by then--both the disease winding down, and tourist spots being reopened. The trip is not connected to a sister school. I am not very worried about her getting ill, mainly as the virus seems to be affecting older people and those with preexisting conditions. More worried about her being quarantined somewhere for 2 weeks without family around her.

I understand how stressful it must be. With the Summer Olympics coming up, I know Japan needs to have a tougher stance right now. Hopefully it will do some good and not just cause financial harm.

So healthcare workers can’t cruise? Are they going to start asking for your tax returns to verify your employment status. There’s no way to enforce this. I think is more of a CYA thing for DCL.

So healthcare workers can’t cruise? Are they going to start asking for your tax returns to verify your employment status. There’s no way to enforce this. I think is more of a CYA thing for DCL.

Well at this point very few healthcare workers are actually caring for someone with or suspected of having the virus.

So healthcare workers can’t cruise?
Only if one of your patients is suspected or diagnosed with Coronavirus. In which case, I suspect your hospital/employer would be monitoring you for possible exposure anyway.

Japan shouldn't be on that list at all yet
Japan is on my company's list for prohibited travel, along with China, Iran, Italy and South Korea.

Iran I can understand your point, but Japan shouldn't be on that list at all yet. I'm not sure what you are being fed by the news, but let me get you straight on the numbers.
Japan has 226 cases as of today.....not the over 900 that the media would have you believe.

Thanks for writing. I have in-laws flying in from Japan for a cruise we are going on in late April. Obviously if circumstances change and DCL or others think it is prudent to add more countries to the list then so be it -- we will all do the right thing. But hopefully those decisions will be based on carefully weighed facts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter